• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuneScape creator unveils new MMO after 10 years of development: 'At times it has felt like an insurmountably ambitious task'

Draugoth

Gold Member
Retro-style-Fantasy-MMORPG-Brighter-Shores-Announced-Gamers-Heroes-780x470.jpg

Game designer Andrew Gower, who created the legendary, still-active RuneScape MMO with his brother Paul in the early 2000s, has just unveiled a new MMO, and it's releasing this year.

Brighter Shores has been in development for 10 years, according to Gower's studio, Fen Research. It aims to provide "a relaxing respite from daily life," casting players as town guards in a "cozy" fantasy world—though not so cozy that the whole game is about snoozing next to a portcullis. Our concerns will quickly expand "far beyond the town walls" as we deal with "a greater threat across the fantastical world of Adothria."

Source

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Retro-style-Fantasy-MMORPG-Brighter-Shores-Announced-Gamers-Heroes-780x470.jpg

Game designer Andrew Gower, who created the legendary, still-active RuneScape MMO with his brother Paul in the early 2000s, has just unveiled a new MMO, and it's releasing this year.

Brighter Shores has been in development for 10 years, according to Gower's studio, Fen Research. It aims to provide "a relaxing respite from daily life," casting players as town guards in a "cozy" fantasy world—though not so cozy that the whole game is about snoozing next to a portcullis. Our concerns will quickly expand "far beyond the town walls" as we deal with "a greater threat across the fantastical world of Adothria."

Source

Day fucking zero. I had no clue this was a thing.

I like RuneScape and RS3, and didn’t try either until the last few years.

Myths

hmm… interesting. Looks like an alternate, modernized version of RS2. It’s amazing what RS3 has become since they’ve separated as well.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I played the very OG RuneScape back in the day, before it even had 3D graphics, let alone 3 and then coming back around to Oldschool Runescape (which is still more 3D than the original!). It still impresses me that I'll still see kids playing RuneScape now on the same library computers I used to walk to play it at.

runescape_classic.jpg

Congrats to the creator, but I don't see myself playing this now.

Last edited:

Tams

I don't trust them after what they did to RuneScape 2, which eventually became RuneScape 3.

Seriously, poor game mechanics aside, some of that shit was encouraging real world gambling in a game that children play.

And I met some of the developers at a convention once. Thry had no scrupples with their shitty decisions and practices. Fuck 'em.

As for the game: fucking lol at choosing to show the grid sqaures and yet again no skybox.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Will definitely check this out, been wondering what had happened with these lads after they sold their souls.
RS2 was peak, lost count how many hours I'd be up playing as a kid.

Top Bottom