• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia and the US will work together to build a moon base

Grym

collusion-collusion-everywhere.jpg

;)

I'm hopeful. We need more space projects and exploration

FUME5

Sweet, can't wait for the internal politicking to lead to a terrible accident, resulting in the opening of a hellgate.

Woorloog

Banned
I think you could mine helium 3 on the moon. There financial benefits to setting up a fully functional base that can mine its fuel and energy for launches. Launching a mission from the moon is way easier than from earth.

He3 is actually worthless until you can create a fusion reaction that actually runs on that stuff. The catch here is that we can't even do far easier deuterium/tritium fusion properly...

No, the reason for Lunar base/station is that it allows for long-term Moon studies and possibly makes a propellant depot a bit easier (ideally, you can get propellant from the Moon).

Woorloog

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as Space capabilities to its US and Russia.... And everyone else a distant third.

China's catching up quick but the US has a law that prohibits co-operation with China in space matters. Apparently.

ESA suffers from smallish budget and limited scope of operations and planning, it seems.

On the one hand

Its russia and the us

On the other

Both countries need to realize that the true conquest is outside of earth at this point. And maybe some unity can come from that. Split the universe for Russia and the US, thatll make then happy.

He3 is actually worthless until you can create a fusion reaction that actually runs on that stuff. The catch here is that we can't even do far easier deuterium/tritium fusion properly...

No, the reason for Lunar base/station is that it allows for long-term Moon studies and possibly makes a propellant depot a bit easier (ideally, you can get propellant from the Moon).

I thought the real moon boon (heh) as far as interplanetary travel goes is lunar water ice. Fuel and water being the most expensive cargo by weight, if they could use polar and crater ice for drinking water and fuel production it would drastically reduce the costs.

Essentially, run flights to the lunar station with it's own water and fuel source, and then launch interplanetary flights from there.

Woorloog

Banned
I thought the real moon boon (heh) as far as interplanetary travel goes is lunar water ice. Fuel and water being the most expensive cargo by weight, if they could use polar and crater ice for drinking water and fuel production it would drastically reduce the costs.

Essentially, run flights to the lunar station with it's own water and fuel source, and then launch interplanetary flights from there.

Yeah, Lunar ice is good. And for now, far more valuable than He3 (and by the time we can make use of that, we can probably mine Saturn for it reasonably economically).
Shame about it being on the poles only though, polar orbits are expensive... (Kerbal Space Program teaches this very well.)

kswiston

There's less than 60 years left before the moon is scheduled to declare independence, so it's about time they got on this.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
China's catching up quick but the US has a law that prohibits co-operation with China in space matters. Apparently.

ESA suffers from smallish budget and limited scope of operations and planning, it seems.

Really? Interesting.

On further study, it sounds like it's an issue with the structure of their space program within the chinese government. It's like if we made NASA a part of the Dept of Energy, which as Rick Perry recently learned, is pretty militaristic and probably would make places like russia a lot more worried about joint operations.

I guess to some extent, everything in any government is going to be somehow connected to that government's military, but I still get the reluctance.

Ahh so HE3 is way way out there. Gotcha thanks

Sounds like Russia and America are taking the ultimate step to prevent government leaks on their Orwellian surveillance and social engineering.

Top Bottom