• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia says they killed ISIS leader

Fantastic news, one less piece of shit gone from the earth. Sadly it probably wont change anything as another snake will just rise. But a great mini victory at least.

Orbis

I know he already died a few months back but didn't he also die last week, or is this the same incident?

ZiZ

This guy has died a bunch of times now

I don't recall Albaghdadi being killed it's always the number 2 guy.

I wonder how it will affect them, those fuckers are like a hydra, cut one head and two more grow in its place. Hopefully those new heads go head to head.

I don't recall Albaghdadi being killed it's always the number 2 guy.

I wonder how it will affect them, those fuckers are like a hydra, cut one head and two more grow in its place. Hopefully those new heads go head to head.

Send them into space and they'll grow a head out of their butt as well.

This guy has died a bunch of times now

There have been rumors he was wounded in a US air strike but this new hype can be traced back to the Syrian / Russian bombing of an IS-leadership meeting at the end of May. The Syrians claimed they killed him there (likely he was the target but Assad doesn't have the intelligence capability for proper damage assessment.) It seems like the Russians are now following up on that particular strike to see who they got.

cameron

Not confirmed yet.

Reuters: Russia's military says may have killed IS leader Baghdadi: agencies
Russia's Defense Ministry said on Friday it was checking information that a Russian air strike near the Syrian city of Raqqa may have killed Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in late May, Russian news agencies reported.

The air strike, targeted a meeting of IS leaders and was carried out on May 28, the agencies cited the ministry as saying.

"According to the information which is now being checked via various channels, Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was eliminated by the air strike, was also present at the meeting," RIA news agency quoted the ministry as saying.

Maybe a bit ot: how does this work in general? How do they confirm casualties and identify them?

Human and signal intelligence in combination with aerial and surface telemetry. They knew the leadership meeting was happening on May 28 which suggests they're either intercepting comms, tracking vehicles or have spies in place. Those same sources can also confirm the effects.

haveheart

Banned
Intercepted comms

Human and signal intelligence in combination with aerial and surface telemetry. They knew the leadership meeting was happening on May 28 which suggests they're either intercepting comms, tracking vehicles or have spies in place. Those same sources can also confirm the effects.

Ok, that makes sense. I'd really like to read up on that, you happen to have some recommendations?

Hasn't this guy died multiple times now?

There have been military strikes against him since 2015 (and allegedly some clandestine ones as well.) The problem is that allies, particularly the Iraqi and Syrian forces, routinely confuse objective with outcome - so if they destroy a convoy that he might be in, they immediately put out they got him without proper assessment.

This is the first time the Russians are suggesting there might be something to these claims and they are in a better position to verify. It also tracks with a confirmed decapitation strike in Raqqa targeting IS-leadership. It's also telling they waited a few weeks before coming out with this, which indicates that some due diligence took place.

Still, we probably won't get proof positive until Raqqa is conquered unless IS puts out the word (unlikely.)

Great if true but i don't think he is in Raqqa. We don't hany footage except his infamous friday sermon in 2014. Also, you have a lot of people ready to take over, it's not exactly a Bin Laden situation where he got a really big importance, the militants are way more faithful to the group than it's leader.

Great if true but i don't think he is in Raqqa. We don't hany footage except his infamous friday sermon in 2014. Also, you have a lot of people ready to take over, it's not exactly a Bin Laden situation where he got a really big importance, the militants are way more faithful to the group than it's leader.

The thing that gets my hope up is that they didn't just hit him but a whole tier of IS-leadership. No matter how fanatical, ISIS needs command and control to keep their dismal caliphate together.

Syder

With ISIS' control in Iraq waning, losing their leader is a big deal. Obviously he will be replaced but the important distinction between Baghdadi and Al-Qaeda/bin Laden is ISIS' followers believed Baghdadi was the Caliph of a divine Caliphate, you can't just replace that. I imagine some followers will be very disheartened to the overall cause.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pfft America can only ever get #2

Putin putin in work

Top Bottom