• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian airliner carrying more than 200 passengers missing on flight over Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
If FSB confirms its a bomb by ISIS. Putin will Nuke ISIS. he doesn't care about collateral damage....and Obama will let him

Nah, Russian media/government are really pushing back against the fact that it was terrorism. If they end up acknowledging it they will have hard time selling people on something that crazy... Although I've seen them do crazier things...

Log4Girlz

I doubt Russia will go all "possible nuke area?" on Syria. It would actually bolster ISIS morale when survivors basically blow a raspberry at Putin.

Blue Lou

Daily Mail are reporting that a missile was fired at a Thomson flight from London to Sharm El Sheikh on 23 August 2015 but missed.

FStop7

Banned
If FSB confirms its a bomb by ISIS. Putin will Nuke ISIS. he doesn't care about collateral damage....and Obama will let him

and in the end maybe that is what is required. one army invasion or one strategic strike

If you mean "nuke" as in the literal use of nuclear weapons, no.

If you mean "nuke" as in retaliating with a lot of force, then maybe.

I don't know why they are so reluctant to do so.

It doesn't fit their narrative in media. They are trying to sell the image of a war in Syria as a war without consequences. Perception of any weakness does not fit that narrative. But I'm sure they can adjust on the fly and use this as a good reason to intensify the war in Syria...

Any Syrian rebel group or militia that are called islamic this or that are fair game since they all become ISIS or ISIS-lite. Lets hope Putin penalizes them severely.

Undead

Daily Mail are reporting that a missile was fired at a Thomson flight from London to Sharm El Sheikh on 23 August 2015 but missed.

Just had a look, Guardian and others are reporting it as well, funny how they never tell us any of these things until people die.

Joni

I don't know why they are so reluctant to do so.
They have to go to war the minute they admit it. They can't admit it, and do nothing. So Putin has to start moving troops and consider where he is going to war. Combatting ISIS means not only Syria, but also Iraq, maybe Egypt, a small chance Nigeria, regions in his own country, ...

From what I heard the security in Sharm airport is a joke in comparison with Cairo given that it's mostly tourist airport. Regardless I still expect the outcome will be an Egyptian and Russian cooperation in eliminating any source of terrorism. It won't be like the Assad support but Russia will support Egypt further.
Russia just won Egypt as a new close ally and won't let go given what's happening in Syria.

Undead

From what I heard the security in Sharm airport is a joke in comparison with Cairo given that it's mostly tourist airport. Regardless I still expect the outcome will be an Egyptian and Russian cooperation in eliminating any source of terrorism. It won't be like the Assad support but Russia will support Egypt further.
Russia just won Egypt as a new close ally and won't let go given what's happening in Syria.

That's good, the more countries that want to go stomping all over isis, the better chance of killing them all

Flying Monday to Egypt for 2 weeks. Getting a bit nervous, but luckily I have to fly to Hurghada.

There will be 36.5 million flights this year. We've had 2 major crashes this year of passenger planes. You'll be fine. I'm sure security will be considerably tighter now as well.

And now the news that in August an Egyptian rocket passed a commercial British airplane at 300m distance during an rocket test and the pilots had to sway the plane to the left. Who fires a practice rocket through civilian airspace?

Undead

I was talking about the airlines in general. But I understood now that it was actually an Egyptian missile.

Yeah and that makes it worse IMO, the Egyptian government is so incompetent they actually launch missiles within range of civilian aircraft

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah and that makes it worse IMO, the Egyptian government is so incompetent they actually launch missiles within range of civilian aircraft

Yeah, but if flying above countries ruled by incompetents would be forbidden, we would be able to fly just over the seas and oceans.

Egypt punting and refusing to give an exact cause (merely that debris is consistent with the plane breaking up in midair), blaming intelligence agencies for not providing them info.

reckless

Let's remember that the Daily Mail is basically worthless in terms of getting actual news. Trusting anything they say is usually a bad idea.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Let's remember that the Daily Mail is basically worthless in terms of getting actual news. Trusting anything they say is usually a bad idea.

I believe that story has been confirmed by the airline and UK government. It was a stray missile from an Egyptian military exercise.

smurfx

get some go again
euro countries currently having problems taking care of refugees are probably sweating at the prospect of russia bombing the hell out of syrian cities in search of isis and creating a huge 2nd wave of refugees.

chadskin

Russian state news agency Sputnik (aka RIA Novosti in Russia) has put up an opinion piece, suggesting the British intelligence agency MI6 may have blown up the plane:

Cameron and Obama are evidently being fed intelligence assessments of a bomb being stowed in the airplane's hold by terrorists.

But here is a big one. The confidence by which these assessments of terror methodology are being made raises an even more troubling, darker question: was it really terrorists, or was it British MI6 agents palming the deed off as terrorists?
http://sputniknews.com/columnists/20151106/1029694767/sinai-isil-russia-a321-crash.html

Pedrito

If it was a bomb, I don't get Russia's reluctance to admit it. Their whole shtick the last two years has been to paint themselves as victims and now that they finally have a good reason to do it, they get cold feet? Could it mean that the "ISIS campaign" is really not going well at all?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
If it was a bomb, I don't get Russia's reluctance to admit it. Their whole shtick the last two years has been to paint themselves as victims and now that they finally have a good reason to do it, they get cold feet? Could it mean that the "ISIS campaign" is really not going well at all?

Given their line has been "ISIS have been shattered in just 1 month by mighty Russian air force and are on the verge of total collapse", it's understandable why they might be hesitant (provided it was indeed a bomb).

The whole point of Putin's military adventures is to show RUSSIA STRONG! etc, which is why they go after targets they know can't defeat them. Can't show weakness.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Russian state news agency Sputnik (aka RIA Novosti in Russia) has put up an opinion piece, suggesting the British intelligence agency MI6 may have blown up the plane.

About that columnist, what a career turn-around:
He is a Master’s graduate in Agricultural Chemistry and worked as a scientific editor for the Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, England, before pursuing a career in newspaper journalism. He is also a musician and songwriter. For nearly 20 years, he worked as an editor and writer in major news media organisations, including The Mirror, Irish Times and Independent.

If British intelligence did blow it up then we have learned from Putin that the best strategy is to say we didn't do it and that the person who didn't do it is a national hero for not doing it on the day he didn't do it.

mr2t

Banned
If British intelligence did blow it up then we have learned from Putin that the best strategy is to say we didn't do it and that the person who didn't do it is a national hero for not doing it on the day he didn't do it.

WASHINGTON/LONDON (Reuters) - British and U.S. spies intercepted "chatter" from suspected militants and at least one other government suggesting that a bomb, possibly hidden in luggage in the hold, downed a Russian airliner on Saturday, killing all 224 people on board, Western intelligence sources said.

http://news.yahoo.com/intercepted-chatter-supports-theory-bomb-took-down-jet-154843540.html

Probably Saudi Arabia

Abounder

Banned
Raqqa will soon be a crater. I hope the innocent men, women, and children can get out.

From Reuters:

Air strikes by Russian warplanes on the Islamic State-held Syrian city of Raqqa killed 42 people earlier this week, including 27 civilians, monitoring group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Friday.

Fifteen Islamic State fighters made up the remainder of the death toll, the Britain-based Observatory said, after a series of strikes on Tuesday that hit the group's Syrian stronghold.

The bombings add to a civilian death toll from Russian strikes, which the Syrian Network for Human Rights, another monitoring group, said on Monday stood at 254 people killed in just over a month.

It was also a rare heavy Russian bombardment targeting Islamic State rather than other insurgent groups.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/06/us-mideast-crisis-syria-raqqa-idUSKCN0SV14L20151106

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom