• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian Jets 'Simulated Attack' On US Warship

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Americans were smart enough to notice the Russian jets were not armed and just let it happen. If they really wanted the Russians to fuck right off they could have targeted the jets with radar but that would have been an unnecessary provocation on unarmed aircraft.

Lego Boss

Wasn't there meant to be a Top Gun 2?

Does anyone know what happened to it and will the Cruise Missile be in it outrunning SU-24 fly-bys?

Edit: Just caught up with the water Wake . . .

Alebrije

Do not see how US could feel is some chinesse or rusian ships were on international waters near US just wandering

Chariot

The Americans were smart enough to notice the Russian jets were not armed and just let it happen. If they really wanted the Russians to fuck right off they could have targeted the jets with radar but that would have been an unnecessary provocation on unarmed aircraft.
I don't think americans expected the russians to actually attack. Russia isn't directly attacking the USA (or any big nation for that matter) for the same reason. A world war now would fuck everybody. It doesn't even matter who wins. Everyone will be fucked.

Do not see how US could feel is some chinesse or rusian ships were on international waters near US just wandering

Your point, which has also already been raised by another poster, has been countered by Nivash and myself on the first page.

Apart from that:

Russian Sub Patrols Reminiscent Of Cold War : NPR

Two Russian submarines have been operating in the waters off the U.S. coast. The maneuvers, though commonplace during the Cold War, are unusual today. Although the Pentagon does not see the subs as a security threat, the development does raise questions about whether Russia is trying to reassert itself militarily.

Prime example of: When whataboutism goes wrong.

Nivash

Your point, which has also already been raised by another poster, has been countered by Nivash and myself on the first page.

Apart from that:

Prime example of: When whataboutism goes wrong.

Not to mention the complete non-incident when a Chinese flottila actually entered US territorial waters off the coast of Alaska last September, closing to within 12 miles off the very shoreline. The US response?

"The Chinese ships were doing operations "consistent with international law," U.S. officials said, under the maritime rule of "innocent passage," where ships are permitted to enter territorial waters and are not challenged so long as they keep moving directly and expeditiously. U.S. officials emphasized that Russian warships exercise "innocent passage" around Alaska with regularity. However, this is a first for Chinese naval ships -- and the transit took place while President Barack Obama was in Alaska.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/04/politics/china-ships-alaska-us-waters/

For reference, the 70 nautical miles that so provoked Russia is equal to 80 miles. For further reference, 80 miles from Kaliningrad is equal to:

• Halfway to the Swedish island of Gotland
  • Further than the Polish port of Gdynia, the port that the Cook had visited
  • Enough to cover every single foot of Lithuanian coastline

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I mean, it still can't engage ICBMs and I have my doubts that it could reliably counter Iskanders. It's a fine system all right but the Russians have tons of capable missile hardware and the sword usually beats the shield in these cases. Not to mention that the pure volume of Russian missiles make a single Burke rather impotent. Point is that there's no compelling strategic reason for them to have to chase the Cook away at every turn.

And sure, you'd normally fire at standoff ranges to give the aircraft a chance to survive. But that would also give a Burke tons of time and opportunity to try to evade, deploy counter measures and try to intercept the missiles using the very same Aegis the Russian's are so annoyed with. Two Su-24s only carry 4 anti-ship missiles between them, that's nowhere near enough to guarantee a hit in that kind of environment unless they fire at point-blank range. Which is suicide.

This is a rather silly and armchair-generally discussion anyway, sorry for starting it. Point is that the Cook had no reason to be worried as long as the Russians hadn't literally lost their minds.

Depends on the Aegis baseline. I THINK the DC is a Baseline 9 ship and as such carries SM-Ts, 6s, ESSM and has a SeaRAM mount. So it is more than capable of engaging anything the russians can throw at them.

Full disclosure: I am a USN Fire Controlman First Class and routinely sit the Combat Systems Coordinator watch underway, and did a Black Sea deployment on a Burke in 2015.

Nivash

Depends on the Aegis baseline. I THINK the DC is a Baseline 9 ship and as such carries SM-Ts, 6s, ESSM and has a SeaRAM mount. So it is more than capable of engaging anything the russians can throw at them.

Full disclosure: I am a USN Fire Controlman First Class and routinely sit the Combat Systems Coordinator watch underway, and did a Black Sea deployment on a Burke in 2015.

OK, I consider myself bested in that case :p Couldn't imagine a more reliable source. Good to hear, guess I underestimated the Burke then.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
OK, I consider myself bested in that case :p Couldn't imagine a more reliable source. Good to hear, guess I underestimated the Burke then.

Well, there are a few different baselines floating around the fleet and different ships have different capabilties. I'm fairly certain the DC got a full upgrade of all suites before it shifted home ports to Rota, Spain last year.

blackjaw

I can back up the FC1's assessment; I routinely sit directly beside their watch station. Very capable ship in many warfare areas.

It still stands that Russia has little to gain from this saber rattling and 'aggression'. They are a very rational and calculating state...just provides interesting conversations and a few wtf moments on the ship and here at home.

I thought this was going to be a literal simulation and was wondering why it was newsworthy. Pretty silly to do something provocative for no meaningful gain, I wonder what level of command decided to do this.

blackjaw

I thought this was going to be a literal simulation and was wondering why it was newsworthy. Pretty silly to do something provocative for no meaningful gain, I wonder what level of command decided to do this.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was at the pilot level...or lower in the squadron...needlessly putting their planes and selves in danger with this stunt and garnering international attention, probably got a verbal lashing at the least

Wouldn't be surprised if it was at the pilot level...or lower in the squadron...needlessly putting their planes and selves in danger with this stunt and garnering international attention, probably got a verbal lashing at the least

....Maybe Im wrong but I feel like if US pilots did this for fun theyd no longer be fighter pilots.

I don't know much about U.S. or Russian flight doctrine, but don't they keep their pilots on very tight leashes for the most part? Extremely strict flight patterns and dire consequences for overstepping bounds?

brian577

Banned

This went on for two days.

HariKari

I don't know much about U.S. or Russian flight doctrine, but don't they keep their pilots on very tight leashes for the most part? Extremely strict flight patterns and dire consequences for overstepping bounds?

The U.S. does. There have been instances where pilots violated airspace rules (flying too low in a residential area, as an example) and lost their wings.

Tesseract

Banned
A cold winterous world of hardened drinkers and chess players, super engineers and mathematicians.

Biding their time, waiting on China and Mexico and Iran and everyone else to suck our bone marrow dry.

Shrug, where is ja rule.

“The Donald Cook’s mission is to reassure NATO allies and Black Sea partners of America’s commitment to strengthen and improve interoperability while working towards mutual goals in the region,” Warren

Its like a teenager sticking its finger up

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Someone should accidentally on purpose put the CIWS into auto mode.

Russia: "Err USA did you see one of our jets near your ship?"

USA: "Nope, dunno what you're talking about *whistles*"

The U.S. does. There have been instances where pilots violated airspace rules (flying too low in a residential area, as an example) and lost their wings.

Yeah, that's what I imagined.

It's not like the military just lets the pilots jump in a plane and fly off willy nilly. They are usually launching with a specific mission in mind and probably have operators confirming every little altitude or direction change that happens.

I sincerely doubt an established military power like Russia wouldn't take the same precautions. It seems pretty obvious that this was ordered by someone with authority, how high up they were is the only questions.

Erevador

No. You don't do that kind of thing in Putin's Russia and survive.

Madness

Something tells me that is usually the best case scenario for the instigator...like playing right into their trap

The US wouldn't shoot them down because there is nothing to gain. The Soviet Union is long dead and gone and Russia is fading as a great power. It is just Russian nationalism at show.

Turkey shoots down their jet and Turkmen rebels kill one of the parachuting pilots on the ground and all Russia does is employ small economic sanctions against them. Does the US believe two SU-24 jets will attack a US warship? China is going to eventually supplant Russia as the world 2nd military power and it would be worrying for the US if they started these types of manoeuvres.

vR9y1Rt.gif

Another incident:

Russian jet barrel-rolls over U.S. aircraft - CNNPolitics.com

A United States Air Force reconnaissance plane was barrel-rolled by a Russian jet over the Baltic Sea during a routine flight in international airspace, U.S. European Command said Saturday.

The incident on Thursday occurred when a Russian jet "performed erratic and aggressive maneuvers" as it flew within 50 feet of the U.S. aircraft's wing tip, Danny Hernandez, a spokesman for European Command, said in a response to a question from CNN.

The Russian SU-27 began the barrel roll from the left side of the U.S. RC-135 and went over the top of it to end on the right side of the aircraft, European Command said.

The U.S. RC-135 aircraft was "intercepted by a Russian SU-27 in an unsafe and unprofessional manner," Hernandez said, adding that the U.S. plane never entered Russian territory.

"The unsafe and unprofessional actions of a single pilot have the potential to unnecessarily escalated tensions between countries," said Hernandez, who added that the U.S. is protesting the incident with the Russian government.

How it may have looked like:
sptkx0h.jpg

source

And this is how it's likely going to pan out for them in the future:
The Aviationist » That time a Soviet bomber crashed into the sea after buzzing a U.S. aircraft carrier

Low passages of Russian planes on U.S. Navy warships (and vice versa) are somehow frequent as the recent flybys of Russian Su-24 Fencer bombers on USS Donald Cook in the Baltic Sea prove.

Usually, such “shows of force” are uneventful, however, about 50 years ago, a close encounter at sea had a deadly ending.

On May 25, 1968 a Soviet Badger-F aircraft flew some very low flybys close to USN carrier USS Essex in the Norwegian sea.

After the last pass, the aircraft, piloted by Colonel Andrey Pliyev, stalled and crashed into the sea.

According to “Cold War Warriors” the footage was considered classified by the Soviets and never shown in Russia until 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=l3bijF2--os

i don't think we want to get into a pissing match with Russia over who bombs more civilians.
I've never seen a post Vietnam American military op do what the Russians did to the city of Grozny and Chechnya at large. That was a pure and unbridled massacre. They did the kinds of things that trigger a Western military intervention in weaker nation states. Thinking about Chechnya still bothers me to this day, the Russian campaigns there almost threatened the survival of Chechens as a national and cultural entity.

I had to read desperate reports from Amnesty and HRW to even get consistent English language reporting on it . (Though British journalists at BBC and Guardian at least tried to get people on the ground there)

Russia ambassador warns US over naval actions

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0XH1O3

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Russia accused the United States on Wednesday of intimidation by sailing a U.S. naval destroyer close to Russia's border in the Baltics and warned that the Russian military would respond with "all necessary measures" to any future incidents.

Speaking after a meeting between NATO envoys and Russia, their first in almost two years, Moscow's ambassador to NATO said the April 11 maritime incident showed there could be no improvement in ties until the U.S.-led alliance withdrew from Russia's borders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom