• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Legends of the Zone Trilogy Available Today - $40 Together, $20 Individual (Games are BC on PS5/Series, no Native Release)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
UI elements etc have been remade for console. Games are $40 in a trilogy pack and $20 individually.

And sadly it doesn't look like they have native versions for new consoles, Series versions are BC from Xbox One (and most likely PS5 will be the same, since the Japanese pre orders were for PS4 only)

The Xbox Partner Preview broadcast contained a special surprise, as Microsoft announced the Stalker: Legends of the Zone Trilogy, and it's out today on console for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One. This was leaked earlier this week for PlayStation as well.

The bundle includes the Stalker games Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat. The games are available in a package for $40 or individually for $20 each. Obviously, if you want all three, buying the bundle is the way to go in terms of cost.

Today, during the latest Xbox Partner Preview broadcast – as a surprise for Xbox gamers everywhere – GSC Game World launched the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Legends of the Zone Trilogy for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S (via backwards compatibility). That’s right – it’s available today!

The Legends of the Zone bundle – available on the Microsoft Store for $39.99 USD — includes all three iconic games that make up the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Trilogy: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, and Call of Pripyat. – or you can pick up each of the games individually for $19.99 USD each. Every element from the original games has been maintained and faithfully ported to console thanks to the hard work of GSC Game World and their partners at Mataboo. This all makes for a great opportunity for Xbox gamers everywhere to get some foundational knowledge of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.’s universe in the lead-up to the launch of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl, coming day one to Game Pass on September 5, 2024.

“S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been a PC franchise for a long time, so the key priorities were concentrated around adapting the experience for consoles as a whole (including, but not limited to, native controller support for console interfaces),” explains Bocharov. “We created everything from scratch, ensuring that the game was both easy to control and comfortable to play.”

For example, the team developed a weapon selection wheel and made changes to both the aiming system and the menu navigation so it could support an Xbox controller. The original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a complex game, so while optimizing the gaming experience, the development team made it an important goal to not lose that unique gameplay loop and the feeling of overcoming The Zone’s iconic and hostile environment. This has been a project a long time in the making, so there has been significant care and attention to detail to ensure this classic PC game can be enjoyed for a whole new console audience.

“We wanted to bring S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to consoles for quite some time, and we worked closely with our trusted partners at Mataboo to make that happen,” Bocharov shares. “Despite the new release date for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, we decided to keep S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Legends of the Zone Trilogy in early 2024 to give the players some time to complete the originals before hopping into the sequel. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is a direct continuation of the plot and a standalone title, but obviously knowing the previous events and characters would help you to enjoy certain story moments, nods, and Easter eggs better.”

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

From what I know, these games were notoriously "PC focused" back in the day, will be interesting how the consoles carry over.
Hope they're not dumbed down either since the first game starts out rough with the bad weapons and gear you start with. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Bry0

The marketing is so confusing, so is there a PlayStation version NOW too? Or is that coming later…

EDIT: YES GUYS ITS ON THE PLAYSTATION STORE RIGHT NOW

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
GIAox1vXgAA_ab1

bender

What time is it?
Will be curious to see what the resolution and framerate are and if they have One X/Pro enhancements over the base models. My gut reaction is that these seems a tad pricey, especially without native support for Series/PS5.

adamsapple

Will be curious to see what the resolution and framerate are and if they have One X/Pro enhancements over the base models. My gut reaction is that these seems a tad pricey, especially without native support for Series/PS5.

$20 per game, especially a new release (on console), seems fair. $40 for 3 new games is a pretty good deal. Though I can see this getting price drops within a few months in sales.

I'm very tempted to just get them right now to support GSC, tho.

Mister Wolf

As old as these games are playing them at anything less than Max settings, native 4k 120fps is completely unacceptable on PS5 and Series X. Needs to have a locked 60 and an unlocked framerate mode.

bender

What time is it?
$20 per game, especially a new release (on console), seems fair. $40 for 3 new games is a pretty good deal. Though I can see this getting price drops within a few months in sales.

Work went into these games for certain and I understand targeting last generation systems as these are fairly niche, but $29.99 seems like the sweet spot.

As old as these games are playing them at anything less than Max settings, native 4k 120fps is completely unacceptable on PS5 and Series X. Needs to have a locked 60 and an unlocked framerate mode.

My guess is that these are 1080/60.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

Skip Clear Sky the rest are gold.

Bry0

Will they?

Doubt besides improved load times they will utilize what those consoles could offer.
I could see maybe a 120 fps mode or perhaps some bumped up draw distances or something like that. They are old but xray has some beautiful lighting to this day.

Last edited:

Flabagast

The first one is a masterpiece, but I really dont know how it can play well on consoles. It was so hardcore even with mouse & keyboard

phant0m

The first one is a masterpiece, but I really dont know how it can play well on consoles. It was so hardcore even with mouse & keyboard
And the 3rd entry (Pripyat) is even better.

But can’t imagine how these run on console, the X-Ray engine was a heaping pile of bugs and technical issues when these games came out.

They are all excellent games, but I'm more curious how the translation from PC to console will really work, it's a very PC ass PC game. I don't even think I'd want to play it in an unmodded state, so I'm curious what changes/fixes/improvements they've made to make it work well on consoles. Very cool regardless I guess. Ya'll are in for a treat, one of the most immersive series in the genre you could play.

And for those on PC, check out S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Anamoly. Completely free, no need to even own any version of the game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wonder if they've fixed the traversal stutter? The games got more polished over time, and I'm sure they're still really good, but the technical issues can make them feel awful at times.

Edit: Wait, no native PS5 version? What? Wow.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I hope Digital Foundry covers these and that its X-Ray ported to console.

If so, i also hope the experimental Global Illumination mode is somehow obtainable. Turning that on tanked every PC out there back in the day, even more so than Crysis.

Bry0

I wonder if they've fixed the traversal stutter? The games got more polished over time, and I'm sure they're still really good, but the technical issues can make them feel awful at times.

Edit: Wait, no native PS5 version? What? Wow.
I play these games on pc on a 5800x3d and gen 4 7000 mb/s ssd and it can still happen from time to time. I think it’s just the engine.

Dickin around in Call of Pripyat, this is gonna be crazy. The controller interface could definitely use a lil bit of work, but it is perfectly functional.

Man, this is a pc ass pc game, I’m assuming most modern console players are probably gonna hate it.

Rob_27

Gonna get it for £15.99 in UK. Worth a punt.

Edit.
Done. All 3 on web store. 1 only showed up on PS app.

Last edited:

intbal

On the Xbox store, it describes Shadow of Chernobyl as 4K, but the descriptions for Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat don't include that.
Need one of those pixel counters to double check that.

Hell yeah, getting on pay day... lol.
Is it weird I own these all multiple times (same with witcher series), as boxed copies and on steam yet want them on console too? Going to get them on my series x and dragons dogma 2 for ps5. Seems like a fair tradeoff.

I hope they didn't remove too much and the classic "take a hike" "don't spill the beans" and AAAHHH NNUUUU CHEEKI BREEKI DAMKE!!!!"
Leave the original English Dub in that had main parts in English and side chatter in Russian. Added to the atmosphere.

AS for it being ps4/xb1, don't care, I don't own a 4k display. 1080p is fine. Played them on pc in 1080p and my tv is 1080p. Resolution doesn't matter as long as it looks good, hits 1080p and 60fps, it will be alright.

Last edited:

Bry0

nooo..wtf... why what did they change. and the "can't call some one a #@# but can shoot them in the head" is so crazy. If it’s rated mature, it shouldn't matter.
they didn’t change anything, that’s what it says. lol.

If I had to guess, some npcs throw around some very 2000’s slang as insults. Aside from that I don’t recall anything being particularly controversial in the modern sense.

Top Bottom