• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saber CEO said Space Marine 2 will retail for $70, but only because he’s concerned audiences would see a cheaper price as emblematic of poor quality

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
That’s not bs, it’s called knowing your audience and playing it like a fiddle.

If TLOU PS5 remaster was $50, you’d see people here smelling a rat.
Instead you saw people go “shut up and take my money!” left, right and center.

Last edited:
Ah yes... what great timing to pull that one out as an excuse...

EWaXmsE.jpg

40$

VS

4uRkAu9.jpg

70$

Lower price seems to come with "Higher Quality and more fun" because they feel like there trying to sell more copy's based on how good the game is that will continue to sell. Rather than front load their price because they know the game is shit and need to cash out before the word of mouth spreads.
I am sick of this suicide squad slander I've been seeing all over Gaf. I've had enough of it. Why does everyone here seem to hate Persona 3?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
bullshit. just SHOW your game. the internet does the rest. and unless you're a based dev\ceo, shut your stupid mouth.

tylrdiablos

LOL Wut.
If you put out a game at $30 and it's good... Word will spread and you'll get plenty of sales. Word of mouth and a good reputation are amazing marketing tools.

Look at titles like Vampire Survivors, Lethal Company, Balatro, Phasmaphobia, Stardew Valley etc
They're all cheap and they all sold many many copies.

A $70 price immediately makes people cautious. Many of them can wait for a sale.

ProtoByte

If they get ignored it may be due to poor marketing and communication, nothing to do with the price.
Marketing costs money. A significant chunk of a game's budget. The less you charge, the less money you bring in to market the next title. The less you market the less the title makes. And so on.

Helldivers 2 says hi!
lmao this guy. Lots of shit games releasing at that price nowadays meanwhile helldivers is thriving with its 40 dollar price tag

You're actually proving his point. Helldivers 2 is a multiplayer only live service project in a field full of F2P. The 40 dollar price tag mixed with the player counts signals that the game must really be worth the time and money.

GymWolf

I'm still gonna pay 35 euros for a key on pc, please and thank you.

(That is if they show something more interesting than shooting for 15 hours to mindless hordes of insects)

Last edited:

StereoVsn

He's 100% not lying. For a publisher like Focus and a studio like Saber, they've had games with high quality for a while now that often get ignored. Their biggest challenge is about changing perception exactly like he's talking about and being seen as a premium game studio. People see them as a mid-tier Eurojank publisher.
They are a mid-tier Eurojank publisher. There is nothing wrong with that in itself. To get out of that status they need to make better and less buggy titles, not raising the price of their game to $70.

poodaddy

Helldivers is live service, that market is different. I've seen multiple posts calling Hellblade II a budget title or deriding it for its price so he has a point.
Quoting this just for additional visibility. I guarantee some of the people complaining about this guy's statement are the very same people calling Hellblade 2 a budget title. It sucks, but there definitely does seem to be a group of gamers that immediately look down on software that isn't looking to fleece them, at least when it comes to single player titles.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

Amazing he can asssume people will see a game cheaper than $70 of being “poor quality” when Helldivers 2 sold for $40 and is pretty much universally agreed to be amazing.

The quality people associate with price isn’t the issue. The issue is they want to sell it for $70 because $$$. They really shouldn’t lie.
Tbf hes kinda right, the majority of normies generally do find a cheaper price as suspicious, its why apple can sell you devices that cost nothing and charge thousands and sheeps by it, but warhammer is for virgin neckbeards that literally would buy a pile of shite that had warhammer written on it

SCB3

Should I mention a few games here and they price I got them at new

£70 - Dragons Dogma 2

£45 - Helldivers 2, Lies of P

Guess which 2 I had the most fun in, I'll give a clue, it wasn't the most expensive one

Also, a big reason the first Space Marine was successful was many people got it dirt cheap and was a good game, someone mentioned Boltgun, again a good little game and cheap

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Great.

I now look forward to Space Marine 2 being riddled with microtransactions (because this kind of naked greed never stops at just the selling price point), and me not fucking buying it.
Buy Boltgun instead. One of the few good Warhammer games and only 20 bananas.

Garibaldi

They should add some iron weights into the case. Nothing says quality better than a heavy ass box and a £70 price tag.

What a load of bollocks.

Kadve

Back in the day marketing things as Expensive = quality worked but today? Don't think so.

jrdrat46gttb1.jpg

Also pretty sure this thing is made on a AA budget. Doubt it has anything that justifies an AAA price tag outside of the IP. I can already see it being quite janky.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I dont think there has ever been a Warhammer 40k game that was high enough quality for someone to pay more than $40 for.

If he's saying this... doesn't that mean they haven't built the game as a full-priced $70 game in terms of base content?

If they even considered a lower price at all, it calls into question how big a game Space Marine 2 is going to be?

Helldivers 2 was made as a $40 game. It doesn't have a ridiculous amount of content bloat like most AAA games, and so it's judged on the basis of what it delivers.

By him saying, "we're selling this for $70, because gamers would consider it low quality at a lower price", he's basically admitting that he's built a content-starved game that he wants to sell for full price to dupe gamers into thinking the graphics bells and whistle are enough to cover over the 5hr campaign with no side content.

I'm worried now.

Bodom78

Give this CEO a pay rise I say. Bravo, well done.

Wonder why it's so hard to make a profit in gaming these days 🤷‍♂️

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Perceived lack of quality due to low price is a real thing in marketing in some products. A $20 bottle of wine could be the best tasting thing in the world but a buyer looking for something nice will probably go for a $100+ bottle instead because they perceive higher price to mean higher quality even if its not necessarily true.

Doesn’t really apply to videogames tho. Most customers, at least on console and pc, have likely had more than one experience of buying a $10-$40 game and being blown away.

I literally see people on GAF complain about games all the time and assume a game is worse because of a lower price. If it isn't being sold at 70 then it isn't AAA, it isn't long, it will be bug ridden, etc.

Top Bottom