• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SAG-AFTRA Members Approve Video Game Strike Authorization Vote With 98.32% Yes Vote

Draugoth

Gold Member

Companies that would be Affected, Gfame studios adjacent:

• Activision Productions Inc, Disney Character Voices Inc, Electronic Arts Productions Inc, Epic Games, Inc, Insomniac Games Inc, Take 2 Productions Inc, WB Games Inc
Now these 3 companies basically do subcontract work for both motion capture & voice acting for other game studios just as an example (this is not the full list & not all projects):
  • Blindlight LLC, has done work for: Bethesda: the most recent example is Starfield Bungie, Square Enix, Rare, Ubisoft.
  • Formosa Interactive LLC: Sony(God of war), Activision (call of duty), Kojima Productions, Riot Games, Hoyoverse.
  • VoiceWorks Productions Inc: Valve, Activision, EA, Take Two, Ubisoft.

here we go batman GIF

Joramun

It's hard for me to care about a union where some, if not most of its members make more than enough and others make millions.

They're not blue collar workers with a family struggling to make ends meet.

A struggling actor isn't an essential worker. They're not like nurses, truck drivers and infrastructure maintenance workers.

FingerBang

As if the Uber woke writing in video games is any good at the moment. Good riddance of those. Please hire good writers instead 👍
The problem is not the woke writers, the problem is the companies who started hiring them and pushing agendas in their games because, let me put my conspiracy hat on, ESG and crap like that.

Most of the pro-LGBT/let's make every leader a woman/men are toxic and weak writers would start writing about the beauty of nazi Germany if they could make money off it. Most people don't believe the shit they say, they have to say if they ever want to work.

Tams

Lol.

The gaming industry is probably the one part of the writing and acting industry where both the creators and consumers are going to be just fine with LLM generated writing and acting.

It's not like 98.32% would be improved by LLMs...

Not to mention how closely related it is to LLMs in the first place.

The problem is not the woke writers, the problem is the companies who started hiring them and pushing agendas in their games because, let me put my conspiracy hat on, ESG and crap like that.

Most of the pro-LGBT/let's make every leader a woman/men are toxic and weak writers would start writing about the beauty of nazi Germany if they could make money off it. Most people don't believe the shit they say, they have to say if they ever want to work.
Yes the top of the chain is the actual problem. They need to be replaced and hire good writers in accordance.

BbMajor7th

It's hard for me to care about a union where some, if not most of its members make more than enough and others make millions.

A struggling actor isn't an essential worker. They're not like nurses, truck drivers and infrastructure maintenance workers.
Collective bargaining will do that for you - our great, great grandparents did it on the regular, now only metropolitan luvvies bother and only because the status quo is suddenly under threat.

Last edited:

calistan

Voice acting in games is generally the lowest of the low. I fully expect it to be just some robotic reading by people who can't get jobs in any other field of acting, and even when it's actually quite well done, like in Baldur's Gate 3, it's spoiled by having it come out of the plastic mouths of the on-screen characters. Like watching Shakespeare performed by ventriloquists' dummies.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Video game voiceover artists and mocap actors don't have anywhere near the leverage live action actors do, so not sure this is particularly a wise move, at this stage.

Don't need Troy Baker if you animate your characters, and can use an AI voice.

Last edited:

Hudo

Not to be the doomsayer here but I don't think Bobby Kotick et al. will lose any sleep over this,

Video game actors don't make that much per job. They have to take on other types of jobs to have a career, most often commercial voice-over. Only celebs are paid anything above scale. They also require protections from screaming sessions not scheduled near the end of recording for the day, which can be hazardous.

And VAs are very much working class, belonging to a union. And they may not be essential in the same sense, but entertainment (games, movies, TV, streaming) was an important source of sanity during the pandemic.

Thought this shit show is already over and people are gearing up to get back to making sub par content for streaming services and the like.

BbMajor7th

Unions make the employer-employee relationship in the workplace adversarial instead of being tightly focused on making the best products possible for the consumer. They are both harmful and unnecessary to the American video game industry overall.
In an imaginary world of kumbaya corporate culture where people respect one another and aren't being incentivized, top-down, to drive profitability for parent companies and shareholders, you might have a point. Unions exist and came into existence because this really isn't the case. Employment is a contractual negotiation: labour and skills in exchange for pay. Individuals are easily replaced (especially in low-skill areas), but entire workforces are not. Unionisation makes that negotiation fair. It has, however, seen a massive decline during the last twenty years - did it lead, as you suggest, to employers and employees being suddenly unbound from adversarial relationships to 'make the best products possible for the consumer'? No, it really didn't.

What actually happened was a colossal shift, across almost every industry, toward gloablisation and outsourcing. Manufacturing was moved almost entirely to cheaper, less strictly regulated developing nations and responsibility for the staff moved to third-party outsourcing companies. Closer to home, workforces shrank rapidly, with salaried, full-time positions giving way to agency work - individuals who would labour away for a company that no longer recognised them as employees, because their contract was actually with an agency shell company. In this way, companies could offload their responsibilities as employers to another company, whilst retaining full access to the labour force they needed: a simple sleight of hand that sidestepped all the rights won by unions over the previous century.

You might think this is the way things should be - you might think this is just good business and there are no doubt arguments to be made in both directions, but the idea that employees and employers would just get down to work if the unions got out of the way is a myth sold by a media class who've benefitted from this new system rather than lost out. The groundswell of dissatisfaction and anti-establishment sentiment you've seen over the last decade suggests there are a lot of people who aren't benefitting.

Last edited:

Del_X

Fuck them - I don't even like Video Game stories. I skip the dialogue to play the game. I hope they do use AI voice acting and animation to keep costs down.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
In an industry where ai is coming on big time and people’s faces are not even in the game, this could be a tough battle.

Edit: going to rephrase this one.

Writing and performances in the vast majority of games are awful to meh. There are a handful of games that genuinely have done both of these elements well. Also, I don’t give a fuck about the writing/acting in most games. Give me a couple paragraphs and a picture. It was good enough for Doom in 1993, it’s good enough for me now.

Any strikes in this industry I can imagine will result in people being paid more but the costs passed on to consumers.

Games will be £100 before the end of this console cycle I bet.

Last edited:

tmlDan

My selfish ass wants it to end so that games weren't delayed further.

Edit, wait, i read this wrong but i do support workers over big corpo CEO's

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
These cunts just read the lines they're told to read and can easily be replaced. I hope games go back to an Undertale type terms of speaking which also happens to have more emotion in it than 95% of the spoken drivel we get these days.

Damn right. There are times when I don't even want to hear voice acting, so I turn off the spoken word. I was fine with video games having no voices. But, I am old school. I prefer it silent, if possible. I don't mind reading. I like reading...

Roni

Gold Member
Going to war against two big industries at the same time is not smart... Especially if one of them has both a history of not needing actors and is positioned to make them obsolete in the near future.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Writing in video games is bottom of the barrel. I said it somewhere the other day either the gaming writers have zero talent or perhaps upper management pushes them to rewrite scripts to be dumbed down to teenager level (and that’s being generous). Either way, since we’re not exactly getting great scripts I don’t see a point of paying good money and job protection to any writing team unless it changes and games become academy award winning quality.

As for anyone above saying replace them with other people (media is an industry with shit loads of people waiting in the wings for a chance), I agree. But the current jobbers know they’ll get replaced in 48 hours. If they are so good they get good pay, big bonuses, big residuals and job security all wrapped up in one tidy package like any non-union worker can get. All you got to do is prove you’re a half decent average worker and you’ll keep your job 99% of the time. It’s not like you got to be Einstein or Edison to keep a job.

As for the AI stuff, if creative types can’t beat AI bots who can’t even get it right having humans with 6 fingers and no thumbs, or write obviously bot-like answers we’ve all seen and laughed at they should be ashamed at being scared of AI quality like this. I thought artsy people were always like “you can’t beat human creativity”. Well if it’s that easy just prove to bosses AI output stinks and you’ll keep your job easy.

It goes beyond movies or games. Put it this way. If people would rather watch Twitter feeds, tik tok snippets and YouTubers (mostly all average joes who aren’t in creative industry) and that viewership is slowly sinking cable tv and newspapers etc…. The creative types got issues. They are losing viewers to sally and Sam doing after dinner videos about dogs and mowing the lawn. So it goes to show how valuable professional writers even are in media.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
I have nothing but contempt for everyone involved and it genuinely pains me that both sides of the strike can't lose.
They honestly deserve each other.

Last edited:
Good for them, the threat of a strike alone can lead to negotions...actors in games are some of the most mistreated talent in entertainment...plus with the advent of AI being easier to implement in gaming than screen acting I think it's a good thing for them to apply a bit of pressure to gaming.
As if the Uber woke writing in video games is any good at the moment. Good riddance of those. Please hire good writers instead 👍
Thats WGA not SAG...

Top Bottom