• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Lake says Alan Wake II will share a lot of light about Remedy's shared universe

Draugoth

Gold Member
WhatsApp-Image-2023-05-24-at-18.42.03.jpeg.webp

In a new interview, Remedy creative director Sam Lake delves deeper into the decision to introduce a second character to the mix. The idea is not to get away from Alan or the series' history – quite the contrary. Remedy is now pushing a full-on connected universe, and aims to tap into tons of lore and story threads from past games like the original Alan Wake and Control. That info dump could be intimidating though, so the Saga part of the game is designed to be less lore-heavy, less trippy, in order to draw new players in. In other words, the plan is to grab ‘em with a more typical serial killer tale, then hit ‘em with the real mindscrew stuff.

“While [Alan Wake 2] is a sequel to Alan Wake, it's also a Remedy Connected Universe experience. So, it's connected not only to Alan Wake, but also to Control. With all of this in the background, it's critical to us that it's very easily approachable for new players that have never played any Remedy games before.

The game begins with FBI agents coming to this small-town setting in Washington State to investigate a string of ritualistic killings -- a serial killer, essentially. This is something that's familiar to everybody, and for us, it felt like a perfect starting point to get the new players, and our fans, into this experience. That being said, our fans of our previous games are really, really important to us and we want to keep on telling stories from the rich foundation the Remedy Connected Universe provides. So... we get everybody in, and the story is self-contained enough that everybody can be excited about it and understand it. For the returning fans, there is a ton of lore, ton of exploration, ton of threads that have started in Alan Wake and Control that we'll pick up and take further.”

Dr. Suchong

So excited for this and I haven't even played the original yet.
After playing (and absolutely loving) Control a bit back I'm eager to play more Remedy titles, especially with the shared universe stuff.
Picked up Quantum break and grabbing Alan wake remastered too.
Can't wait to get stuck in 👍

Sam Lake should confirm that level design and combat won't be dogshit like in the first one. Way too much talk about story and visual gimmick videos on this one so far for me.

So far gameplay footge has been walking down straight paths in some shape or form and shooting a dude or two that pops up in front of you. Control was great because they, for once, struck a good substance/style balance.

Montauk

I don’t care about Remedy’s so-called “shared universe”.

It’s a tiresome and overused marketing gimmick that they thought up years later.

I don’t care if they’re now pretending that all the stories are linked - even if they were it doesn’t matter at all.

I don’t want everything to be a shared universe. I really don’t feel it adds much. Enough. I really couldn’t care less that there is a reference to Max Payne in Control or whatever.

Stop.

Last edited:

Montauk

“The Remedy Connected Universe”

This is never going to be a thing. Stop trying to make it a thing.

I don’t want your stories to be connected.

I was excited for this until I learned about the dual protagonists. Been hit by the bait and switch in the past. Does anyone really wanna play Sometimes Alan Wake?

They mean their other games. Control, Max Payne, etc..

Just like From has a "shared universe or multidimensional universe" with their souls games.
They recently said that Max Payne and Quantum Break are not part of their shared universe.

It's only between Alan Wake and Control.

John Bilbo

That's awkward. I hope the all of their IPs would stay separate.

I think Control has some references to Max Payne... Please stop.

Edit: The Remedy IPs have their own unique tone to them and I don't think they will be able to mash them together successfully.

Last edited:
I bet they're going to incorporate Max Payne, it had semi (or possibly) supernatural elements too as well as 4th wall breaking mindscrews.

Any knocking this probably hasn't played Control, Remedy's take on a shared universe is really cool.

swaffles23

That's awkward. I hope the all of their IPs would stay separate.

I think Control has some references to Max Payne... Please stop.

Edit: The Remedy IPs have their own unique tone to them and I don't think they will be able to mash them together successfully.
Max Payne and Quantum Break aren't part of the shared universe. It's just Control and Alan Wake for now according to Sam Lake

John Bilbo

Max Payne and Quantum Break aren't part of the shared universe. It's just Control and Alan Wake for now according to Sam Lake
I remember reading a note in Control referencing Max Payne indirectly. Also Max Payne (Alex Casey for probably mostly copyright reasons) is in the Alan Wake 2 trailer.

Top Bottom