• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saw Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle Last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razoric

Banned
Without a doubt the funniest movie I've seen all year. Forget Dodgeball or Anchorman, this is it. There are a lot of racial jokes but they are refreshingly witty and fit in with the plot. They are not out of place or awkward or ment to be offensive...

The liberals on this board will love the T-Shirt Kumar was wearing at the beginning of the film... "I love Bush, the pussy NOT the president." The entire audience just bursted out laughing at that. haha

Anyone else see this?

Razoric said:
The liberals on this board will love the T-Shirt Kumar was wearing at the beginning of the film... "I love Bush, the pussy NOT the president."

And the other half of the audience will hate it. I've yet to understand why movies pull these stunts. I loved Anchorman, but the crack at the end about Brick being a Bush advisor was uncalled for... it accomplishes nothing.

I saw this on Tuesday Night at an advance screening. It really is hilarious. If you liked Dude, Where's My Car? you'll love Harold & Kumar. It's even funnier.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
karasu said:
people like Dude where's my car?

One of my favorite movies.
Last twenty minutes of it were awesome.

pnjtony

I like Dude, Where's My Car. It was a really stupid movie that I could relax in and take in the stupidity with them. I loved how absolutey everything fit together by the time it was over. Right down to the monkeys with sticks from the beginning.

pollo

Banned
pretty clever movie too..

i like their whole satire about racial profiling in new jersey haha.
I still remember chrstie whitman gettin heat for that.

andthebeatgoeson

Isn't this from the genuises that brought us:
'Do you know how fast you were going, meow?'

I need to see this, Spiderman 2, Bourne Supremacy, and a whole bunch more.

Suranga3

I saw it yesterday, I thought the beginning half was funny as hell. But it kinda got old near the end. Still a lot better than I expected.

hooo

boooy
karasu said:
It's a joke. no need for alarm.
Jokes are only funny if you find truth in them. It's obnoxious because the writer really does personally despise Bush that much.

LakeEarth

Suranga3 said:
I saw it yesterday, I thought the beginning half was funny as hell. But it kinda got old near the end. Still a lot better than I expected.

Lots of comedies seem to do that these days.

PotatoeMasher said:
And the other half of the audience will hate it. I've yet to understand why movies pull these stunts. I loved Anchorman, but the crack at the end about Brick being a Bush advisor was uncalled for... it accomplishes nothing.

I hate bush, but my only problem with the joke is that it dates the film.

Drensch

Easy. Bush is an easy target being an idiot and failure. People who see a movie like Harold and Kumar aren't Bush, people, or they are adult enought to get a joke. Just like "Clinton likes women" jokes.

skinnyrattler said:
Isn't this from the genuises that brought us:
'Do you know how fast you were going, meow?'

no, that would be Broken Lizard. I just saw Super Troopers this past week and it is truely one of the funniest movies I've seen this year. I need to see their other movie Club Dread asap.

FortNinety said:
I hate bush, but my only problem with the joke is that it dates the film.

I don't know, I think Bush is up there with Nixon (albeit a long way behind) on America's worst president's list.

Its called Harold & Kumar get the munchies in the uk... when it comes out anyway. I understand the change but its not as good a title although I confess i have no fucking idea what White Castle is, i presume some burger chain

retardboy

Yeah, buger chain on the east I believe. I think they were the first burger chain and they were the first to a billion burgers sold.

Gattsu25

Banned
I think they're called Crystals where I live...whatever...i loved eating at White Castle when I was a kid

good tasting burgers the size of your wrist :)

kablooey

hooo said:
Jokes are only funny if you find truth in them. It's obnoxious because the writer really does personally despise Bush that much.

Oh for christsakes! :rolleyes: How is that even close to some kind of scathing jab at Bush? If they wanted to, they could've done much worse.

Anyway, I saw it. Don't know why, but I saw it. Overall, I'd say if you like the kind of veg-out comedies like Dumb & Dumber, you'll probably like this. I thought it was decent, and better than I expected.

the funniest bit by far, I thought, was when the idiot cops go after the black man in the jail cell, and say "he's got a gun! oh wait, it's just a book." Hahaha. :lol

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'm still undecided on the movie. For every truly funny moment (i.e., during one of the dream sequences when Kuman slaps the embodied bag of weed and goes 'learn how to make coffee, bitch') there were alot of just really dumb jokes that fell flat, at least for me. All in all though, I thought the actor that played Kumar's character did a really awesome job of potraying somebody that didn't take life seriously and was just sort of along for the fun ride. I hope to see him in more movies of this vein. Oh, and for people that have seen the movie...
Did Freakshow's wife have a great set of tits or what?

effzee

i went to see the village with some friends but it was sold out and we couldnt wait 2 hrs for the next show so we went to see this movie and ITS THE FUNNIEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN. i couldnt stop laughing.....it was just great.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
karasu said:
people like Dude where's my car?

Awesome stupid joke movie...also one of my favorites, so I'm disappointed that I probably won't get to see Harold And Kumar in the theaters, being in Japan at the moment.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
harold and kumar gets a meh from me. it was alright. romy and michele's high school reunion owns it, as far as stupid comedies go.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
This movie was hilarious. It had it's stupid and disgusting moments, but it was still funny as heck.

Plus points go to Neil Patrick Harris (aka Doogie Howser) for appearing in the film as himself. Haha!

And even more bonus points go to Jamie Kennedy and Ryan Reynolds (Van Wilder) for their cameo bits. Hehe!

sefskillz said:
harold and kumar gets a meh from me. it was alright. romy and michele's high school reunion owns it, as far as stupid comedies go.

I thought I was the only one who liked R&MHSR. I no longer have to hide my shame.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Being a huge Bush supporter that comic jab doesn't bother me. It doesn't insult Bush at all, just makes a comic ploy showing that the character doesn't like him. It's not really funny, like all the inane Clinton/women jokes (and I really hate Clinton).

Thanks for the general thumbs up guys, I was hoping this movie would be atleast "decent" to see. Maybe I'll wait for the DVD release to rent it.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
PotatoeMasher said:
about Brick being a Bush advisor was uncalled for... it accomplishes nothing.
"Up here" in Canada, the whole theater burst into laughter when that came up (all three times I saw that movie).

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
bune duggy said:
no, that would be Broken Lizard. I just saw Super Troopers this past week and it is truely one of the funniest movies I've seen this year. I need to see their other movie Club Dread asap.

Dont go in expecting Supertroopers-like funny. Its not nearly as good. Has a few moments and Britney Daniel is smokin though.

NLB2

Banned
PotatoeMasher said:
I haven't seen the movie so i'm just speculating, but i bet it was put in there to set character. I mean tons of movies have murderers and nazis and anal probing aliens in them, but you understand that this is just part of a movie, right? Nobody likes Nazis, but you're not gonna feel offended if a movie has them in it, would you? So why feel offended by a character's shirt making a joke about bush?

My friends and I had tears in our eyes from laughing so hard. Okay, we're all stoners so this movie was definitely aimed at us... still, though. Anybody who likes dopey (pun fully intended) movies needs to go and see this shit after a bongload or three. :)

I can't believe Keller (from Oz) was Freakshow! Nice makeup.

kablooey

NLB2 said:
I haven't seen the movie so i'm just speculating, but i bet it was put in there to set character. I mean tons of movies have murderers and nazis and anal probing aliens in them, but you understand that this is just part of a movie, right? Nobody likes Nazis, but you're not gonna feel offended if a movie has them in it, would you? So why feel offended by a character's shirt making a joke about bush?

I still can't believe this is an issue. ~_- There're better things in this movie to complain about. :p

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
awesome movie. and i like how there is a white castle right down the street from the theater, and i swear to god after the movie got out there were at least 20 cars there. there were no more parking spots left.

i loved what the movie did with the "extreme" seterotype. hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom