• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScammedGAF - Your Experiences With Fraud & Monetary Deception

Technology has become an integral aspect of our lives, more so than any previous generation to come before us. In this day and age we're attached more to our mobile phone screens than our genitalia and with that rapid surge E-Commerce has emerged as a dominant in the market. We buy things from our favourite online retailers, leaving a copy of our credit card and address information on the internet somewhere and it's primal ground for scam artists looking to cheat us out of our pockets. So I'm interested in hearing stories from members who've had the unfortunate luck of losing money online or losing funds through our unfortunate circumstances.

The primary reason for creating this thread was me being cheated out of £10 when I lost my credit card a couple days ago. Fortunately I didn't have much in that account at the time, but the feeling of being violated somewhat isn't a pleasurable one and I'm often a careful individual and it still happened to me.

We can learn from experiences and hope to avoid them in the future, so share your stories below and I'll be interested in reading them.

2 times buying stupid shit from Ebay roughly 6 or 7 years ago. They got about $1,000 from my bank account, I disputed it, and my bank reimbursed it. A few months later, I said "that was a fluke, no way it would happen again through a different seller".
BAM, fucking gotten again. No more Ebay for me.

Idk if it counts but...

long time ago gf called me to say she bought a camera for 100us from some random guy at the street, Normal price was 1000 us.

It was too fishy for me, I ask her “do you have the camera in your hands right now? “

She reply, “yes is inside my backpack, already tested, come with the box”... etc

That was no good for me, so I ask her to check it now.

She call me 1 minute later crying, inside the box was a rock 🪨. 😂

Later her and her family lost a good amount of money on a big scam ( I told them it was a scam from the beginning and I even bet money with her mother about it ). but that is another story

Last edited:
2 times buying stupid shit from Ebay roughly 6 or 7 years ago. They got about $1,000 from my bank account, I disputed it, and my bank reimbursed it. A few months later, I said "that was a fluke, no way it would happen again through a different seller".
BAM, fucking gotten again. No more Ebay for me.
How did you get got twice?

Idk if it counts but...

long time ago gf called me to say she bought a camera for 100us from some random guy at the street, Normal price was 1000 us.

It was too fishy for me, I ask her “do you have the camera in your hands right now? “

She reply, “yes is inside my backpack, already tested, come with the box”... etc

That was no good for me, so I ask her to check it now.

She call me 1 minute later crying, inside the box was a rock 🪨. 😂

Later her and her family lost a good amount of money on a big scam ( I told them it was a scam from the beginning and I even bet money with her mother about it ). but that is another story
+100 points for the rock detail, but -500 for the cliffhanger ending.

My ex-wife was scammed for £1000, she fell for one of those spam emails "As an MSN user you've been selected as Micosofts lucky winner"

There was a code and a number she needed to call to claim the £5000 "Prize"

But in order to claim she needed to pay the admin fee,

oh and the tax,

oh that bank you are using is not one of our authorized ones, so there's a transfer fee.

At which point she had run out of money, so called me screaming to get someone to lend me money so she could get her prize. Of course I knew she was getting scammed at this point and she shouted at me "I knew you would say no, you're so stupid, you always say no". So I told her to send me the link to this prize winners page. Yes, it was scammy because Microsoft and yahoo were not going to team up to just give out random cash prizes.

People fall for this shit because they are greedy and as soon as they see the chance for free/cheap $$$$ logic goes out the window.
So I’m going to assume she didn’t win the prize? 😂😂😂.

Kadayi

Banned
My Amazon account got hacked ages ago. the scammers basically bought a load of digital gift cards. The algorithm realised something was up and shut it down and basically cancelled all of the buy orders as well as informed me, but despite numerous calls to Customer Services, they never refunded me for £50 PSN card that was part of the thing. Generally, I've always found Amazon Customer service pretty good, but the actual fraud team will never deal with you directly one to one and despite loads of calls I never got anywhere with them over it. Annoying, but not the end of the world. Anyway, make sure you have TFA on your Account using either Google Authenticator or Lastpass.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I got "Fïfa'd" on my Xbox 360 back in the day. Microsoft refunded me and got my account back quickly though. Was inconvenient to have to update all my accounts just in case and get a new credit card. Annoyingly I still have the Fifa achievements on my account as a permanent reminder.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
When my 360 started messing up and I sent it in they sent me one back with all of my saves gone. 50 hours into oblivion and I didn't even beat it.

Top Bottom