• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists discover fish living in the ocean underneath Antarctica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad-

It would need to have an impossibly strong exoskeleton to withstand the immense pressure at the center of the Earth.

How about jelly like creatures

PTSmg1o.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So this is in preparation for a Europa mision? Holy crap, man.

Frodo

Imagine if we send a robot to Europa and this happens with some alien fish and that was our first encounter with alien life.
I would jizz so many buckets.

Now, imagine if we send a robot to Europa and this happens with a shark exactly like the one on the gif and that was our first encounter with alien life.

Zomba13

Now, imagine if we send a robot to Europa and this happens with a shark exactly like the one on the gif and that was our first encounter with alien life.

I don't know what would be crazier, finding a fish like thing unlike anything on Earth or finding a fish like thing exactly like on Earth.

happypup

That would be a very exciting discovery indeed. Finding life on Europa would be incredible no matter the form, but finding a shark, exactly like the ones in our own ocean, would shake the very foundation of our understanding of biology.

We would have to seriously question all of our current theories of life.

The most unlikely possibilities being correct are easily the most exciting things to discover.

Not

Banned
This makes me hopeful that life outside of Earth, while very probable, might be more frequent than we think.

This was my thought. I doubt they're as advanced as we are though. Either that or FTL travel is impossible, or 'cause space is really big, or both.

I mean, it's cool that harsh conditions don't hamper life in this situation

slit

I don't know what would be crazier, finding a fish like thing unlike anything on Earth or finding a fish like thing exactly like on Earth.

Unlikely, if there is a huge monster under there, it probably looks like something that will boggle our minds.

next stop, Europa :

Europa-luna.jpg

Hot oceans (heated by volcanoes) under thick ice. If we found fish under our ice in this cold water, we'll find extra terrestrial life form under Europa's ice

What would happen if we found fish there that look not much different than on earth?

We would assume life was spread on both by a common factor. Comet for example. Will need to study both creature genome to see if there are common things. Maybe even small. If not comet, perhaps we can trace it to our solar system formation.

happypup

What would happen if we found fish there that look not much different than on earth?

I would not be all that surprised if the 'fish' discovered on Europa looked similar to our own fish. Convergent evolution is a powerful and common expression of natural selection. Now a deeper look should reveal very different origins for the similar features, but 'eyes,' 'noses,' 'jaws' and a cylindrical serially homologous body plan would not be all that surprising.

gutshot

next stop, Europa :

Europa-luna.jpg

Hot oceans (heated by volcanoes) under thick ice. If we found fish under our ice in this cold water, we'll find extra terrestrial life form under Europa's ice

Actually, Europa isn't believed to be volcanic. The ocean is likely warmed by tidal flexing.

Wouldn't be an entirely surprising thing, look up convergent evolution and the similarity in the eye structure between squid eyes and human eyes. Evolution on this planet has often found similar solutions to the same basic problems on Earth. Granted, sea life on Earth is incredibly diverse as well so it wouldn't be too surprising if aquatic life on another planet looked like SOMETHING we had on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom