• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists genetically modify wheat to make it safe for those with Celiac disease

MJPIA

Still undergoing experiments, modification and testing but for us Celiac's out there this could be huge.
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ten-out-of-wheat-makes-it-safer-for-coeliacs/
PEOPLE forced to avoid gluten could soon have their bread (and cake) and eat it. Now there are strains of wheat that do not produce the forms of gluten that trigger a dangerous immune reaction in as many as 1 in 100 people.

Because the new strains still contain some kinds of gluten, though, the wheat can still be used to bake bread. “It’s regarded as being pretty good, certainly better than anything on the gluten-free shelves,” says Jan Chojecki of PBL-Ventures in the UK, who is working with investors in North America to market products made with this wheat.
Not all gluten proteins trigger this response, though: the main culprit is a group called gliadins. So Francisco Barro’s team at the Institute for Sustainable Agriculture in Cordoba, Spain, set about getting rid of them.

They used a genetic modification technique to remove 90 per cent of the gliadins in wheat. They did this by adding genes that trigger a process called RNA interference, which stops specific proteins being made. But because the gliadin genes themselves remain intact, in theory, there is a risk that the wheat could start making the crucial proteins again.

So Barro’s team next tried using CRISPR gene-editing to get rid of the genes entirely. This is a huge task because there are no fewer than 45 copies of the gene for the main gliadin protein that causes problems. Nevertheless, Barro’s team report that they have already managed to knock out 35 out of the 45 genes
More genes need to be disabled before the CRISPR strain is ready for testing, but it should be worth all the effort: the team have already shown that the GM wheat strain makes an acceptable bread. It cannot be used for making large sliced loafs, but is good enough for baguettes and rolls, says Chojecki.
Small trials of the GM wheat involving 10 and 20 people with coeliac disease are already being carried out in Mexico and Spain. “All I can say is that the results are very encouraging,” says Chojecki.

Study here:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/pbi.12837/abstract?campaign=wolacceptedarticle

Lock if old.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'm sure the people who found out they were Celiac by watching Doctor Oz will still find something to complain about.

zeemumu

They're actually just trying to get rid of the mutant gene covertly, but not enough people eat corn so this was option B

This is genuinely cool and gives a lot of hope for people with other food tolerance issues.

I know someone with the disease and it fucked her up real good before she was diagnosed. I'm glad GMO tech is advanced enough to help people like her.

This is fucking awesome! I haven't been able to eat anything with gluten since I was diagnosed 3 years ago. Gluten free breads and such usually suck, so this is encouraging.

Jag

This is fucking awesome! I haven't been able to eat anything with gluten since I was diagnosed 3 years ago. Gluten free breads and such usually suck, so this is encouraging.

I'm cautiously optimistic. My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with Celiac and it's been a very tough road for us. Our entire house went fully gluten free.

The problem with it is they still have to modify the foods which is expensive. But it would be nice to be able to buy him regular bread eventually.

nded

Low gluten formation is also sought after for cake flours. Interested to see how it turns out.

A lot of people that don't eat gluten are also anti GMO...
Well, around here they are.

A lot of people who don't eat gluten don't have Celiac disease.

This is great for people who can't wait to eat bread drink beer again.

A friend of mine has a gluten allergy, developed over the last 3 years, and I wonder if this could eventually help him. Maybe not because it's not strictly the same as celiacs disease. He was a big time beer drinker, just loved beer, and he had to give it up entirely. He'll have ciders occassionally, and the hopped ciders that are close to beer is nice he says, but it's obviously just not the same. Same with the handful of gluten free beers.

tbm24

I'm cautiously optimistic. My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with Celiac and it's been a very tough road for us. Our entire house went fully gluten free.

The problem with it is they still have to modify the foods which is expensive. But it would be nice to be able to buy him regular bread eventually.

My wife's been gluten free for a solid 6 years now I'd say. After her diagnosis, I've been along for the ride. It's currently pretty damn good to be gluten free than it was years ago. when it comes to bread look for a brand called Schaar. They have a great variety of bread types, bread crumbs, cookies etc. Me and my wife have a great time with their baguettes. It's a bit airy, but with the right stuff instead/toasted it's great. Stuff like pasta, I prefer chick pea pasta from Banza. The taste is great, if you haven't tried any of this stuff I recommend it.

Low gluten formation is also sought after for cake flours. Interested to see how it turns out.

A lot of people who don't eat gluten don't have Celiac disease.

Majority of these people I'd argue have no reason to actually avoid Gluten.

They're actually just trying to get rid of the mutant gene covertly, but not enough people eat corn so this was option B

SMbetKQ.jpg

snacknuts

we all knew her
This is great for people who can't wait to eat bread drink beer again.

A friend of mine has a gluten allergy, developed over the last 3 years, and I wonder if this could eventually help him. Maybe not because it's not strictly the same as celiacs disease. He was a big time beer drinker, just loved beer, and he had to give it up entirely. He'll have ciders occassionally, and the hopped ciders that are close to beer is nice he says, but it's obviously just not the same. Same with the handful of gluten free beers.

You just gave me a phobia I've never had before. =[

Yeah no kidding. My grocery bills raised considerablly after I eventually switched to a GF free diet and GF products are very overpriced as it is. I would just hope to try some of these products in the future sparingly as I'm already in alow carb diet for other health reasons.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
But monsanto tho!!!

Anyway im all for genetically modified wheat. Whatever helps people who suffer from genetic autoimmune disorders like celiac disease the better

SeanC

That's fantastic. My girlfriend is seriously intolerant of gluten though so it would need to be 100% free of it. Still it's a big step.

That's fantastic. My girlfriend is seriously intolerant of gluten though so it would need to be 100% free of it. Still it's a big step.
One molecule of gluten can fuck up people with celiac, so if it's celiac safe it's probably safe for your girlfriend.

Excellent. Celiac disease is fucking horrible.

Related, the fact that gluten sensitivity became a hip thing was MASSIVELY helpful for people suffering with it. It used to be nigh on impossible to eat out as a sufferer, but it's much easier now (assuming you live in a city).

Top Bottom