• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrapland - (GTA + Metal Arms?)

Redbeard

Banned
From TeamXbox:

Enlight announced today that it will publish Scrapland, with executive producer and ground breaking game auteur American McGee. Developed by Mercury Steam, Scrapland is a deeply immersive 3rd person 3D action/adventure set in a bizarre robotic world made of scrap parts.

“We’re very excited to have American on board as Executive Producer of Scrapland,” said Trevor Chan, Chief Executive Officer of Enlight. “The robotic science fiction world that American is shaping with Mercury Steam is as original as it is exciting.”

As Executive Producer, McGee is injecting his unique creativity into the character development and dialogue of Scrapland, and elevating the gameplay into a true entertainment experience.

“I knew I wanted to be involved with this project the moment I met with Mercury Steam and saw the game,” said American Mcgee, Executive Producer for Scrapland. “Scrapland has an extremely unique free-form style of play that capitalizes on the success of games like GTA3, yet takes the action one step further.”

As D-Tritus, a robot assembled from junkyard parts, players will navigate the dangerous robot-inhabited city of Chimera on the remote, scrap-planet known as Scrapland. D-Tritus can engage his enemies on foot, in customizable gunships, or even take over other robots to make use of their unique abilities.

Scrapland is scheduled for release in Q4 2004 for the Xbox video game system from Microsoft and PC.

1088533235.jpg
1088533233.jpg
1088533234.jpg

IJoel

It looks nice from a technical perspective.

But... it's too colorful and the HUD is reminiscent of a flash game. :\

jedimike

Game looks great. Not nearly enough sci-fi games like this out there.

btw, What has McGee done lately to deserve his name being plastered all over the place? AFAIK, Oz was canned and Alice was certainly fun, but not groundbeaking in any way. It must be the "coolness" of his name.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
[moan]

i want Metal Arms 2 so bad :'(

God damn you vivendi.

[/moan]

I like the texture detail in some of these shots, very crisp, but as jedimike says, McGee hasnt really done anything thats impressed me before so i wont get too excited for this.

jedimike

Ghost said:
[moan]

God damn you vivendi.

[/moan]

I like the texture detail in some of these shots, very crisp, but as jedimike says, McGee hasnt really done anything thats impressed me before so i wont get too excited for this.

The game has been in development for 2-3 years, but they couldn't find a publisher. So they bring on McGee as an "executive producer" to bring more attention to the game. I assume it's a little easier for them to shop around for publishers now. I don't think McGee has actually done much to the design.

jedimike said:
The game has been in development for 2-3 years, but they couldn't find a publisher. So they bring on McGee as an "executive producer" to bring more attention to the game. I assume it's a little easier for them to shop around for publishers now. I don't think McGee has actually done much to the design.

Wait....so Metal Arms 2 is in development?!!!!

*edit*

err, wait... you were talking about the other game.... meh.

IgeL

jedimike said:

You didn't see the first sentence? Enlight announced today that it will publish Scrapland,. :) (American McGee works at Enlight.) I didn't know Enlight was into the console business, though... interesting.

Redbeard

Banned
I was poking around their site; they've got character profiles and a ton of screens. I've always wanted a GTA-like game in a futuristic city with flying cars and shit. This could be really cool if they pull it off.

Ghost said:
[moan]

God damn you vivendi.

[/moan]
I don't think the blame should fall solely on VU. They marketed the hell out of MA and it still bombed because the market didn't want it :( The only thing VU did wrong was to shove it into the worst most saturated time of year.

Mr_Furious said:
I don't think the blame should fall solely on VU. They marketed the hell out of MA and it still bombed because the market didn't want it :( The only thing VU did wrong was to shove it into the worst most saturated time of year.

It's shit like this that make clip cry. MA is one of my favorite games this gen. The game is pure amazing. I bow to the developers and beg them for a sequel!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!

*cries like a bitch*

Top Bottom