• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screenshots suggest TikTok is circumventing Apple App Store commissions (Will Apple ban them like Fortnite?)

ManaByte

Gold Member

TikTok may be routing around the App Store to save money on commissions. According to new findings, the ByteDance-owned social video app is presenting some of its users with a link to a website for purchasing the coins used for tipping digital creators. Typically, these coins are bought via in-app purchase, which requires a 30% commission paid to Apple.

The feature may be hidden from most users, either by design or because it’s only shown to users in a specific group, like testers or high spenders. In any event, those who do have access to the new option are seeing a screen that encourages them to “recharge” — that is, buy more coins — via tiktok.com. Although these screenshots were discovered within the iOS app by TechCrunch tipster David Tesler, it’s not clear how many TikTok users are seeing them or when or how they’re being shown.

Tesler says the option to purchase via the web was displayed to an account that had previously purchased a large amount of coins.

In some cases, users are shown a screen that includes a message such as “Try recharging on tiktok.com to avoid in-app service fees” followed by a “Try now” link. Other times, they may get a pop-up that says “Try recharging on tiktok.com” with another message about the potential savings. This one reads, “You can save the service fee and get access to popular payment methods,” and is followed by a big, red “Try now” button or a less prominent option that says “Don’t show again.”

Tesler noted that when Fortnite inserted an option that routed users around Apple’s in-app purchases, Apple banned the app from the App Store. It’s unclear what, if any, action Apple will take against TikTok now, given the current politics around the Beijing-based app.

TikTok is in the "fuck it" stage of their exit.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s allowed for media streaming services like Netflix or Disney+, not for what TikTok is using it for. Same thing that got Epic banned.
That’s not true, it’s allowed for any app, there’s just a bunch of stipulations (and you have to request it.). Its certainly not limited to media streaming services or subscriptions or anything like that.

Not saying Tik Tok is fully within compliance but in general, yes it’s allowed. This was big news last year sometime as Apple is also charging a large commission on link-out purchases making it pointless.

MrMephistoX

As a person who is married to a Chinese woman and has lived in China I understand the culture a bit and what stands out to me is the propensity of the Chinese to lie stupidly to save face, to cheat and to try and circumvent rules as much as they can get away with because they can usually bribe their way out a jam or use personal connections to get out of facing consequences for their actions: morality is whatever they can get away with without getting caught. To be fair a lot of rich Americans operate the same exact way because they can.

This applies to TikTok’s approach to saying they aren’t influenced by the Chinese government which is absurd because their entire business culture is based on this same grey moral compass.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
As a person who is married to a Chinese woman and has lived in China I understand the culture a bit and what stands out to me is the propensity of the Chinese to lie stupidly to save face, to cheat and to try and circumvent rules as much as they can get away with because they can usually bribe their way out a jam or use personal connections to get out of facing consequences for their actions: morality is whatever they can get away with without getting caught. To be fair a lot of rich Americans operate the same exact way because they can.

This applies to TikTok’s approach to saying they aren’t influenced by the Chinese government which is absurd because their entire business culture is based on this same grey moral compass.
I was taking your post seriously and appreciating the insight, but then I noticed your avatar and now I don't remember a word you said

ManaByte

Gold Member
That’s not true, it’s allowed for any app, there’s just a bunch of stipulations (and you have to request it.). Its certainly not limited to media streaming services or subscriptions or anything like that.

Not saying Tik Tok is fully within compliance but in general, yes it’s allowed. This was big news last year sometime as Apple is also charging a large commission on link-out purchases making it pointless.

From the link in the OP:

While Apple did begin to allow developers of select apps to add links to their websites from inside the app back in 2022, the use case was limited. The only apps that qualify to offer these lines for “account management” are what Apple calls “reader” apps — or those apps that provide access to paid digital content as their main functionality (think: Netflix, not Facebook). In addition, apps that choose to use the External Link Entitlement cannot offer in-app purchases via the App Store as well. It’s an either/or situation.

Reader apps can do it. You cannot do it to bypass the 30% cut on IAP like Fortnite and TikTok are doing.

daffyduck

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

MrMephistoX

I was taking your post seriously and appreciating the insight, but then I noticed your avatar and now I don't remember a word you said
I can hardly take myself seriously with this avatar. Someone made it for me during COVID when I shaved my entire head due to an attempt at self hair cutting gone awry and I just can’t force myself to go back to alopecia free Chun Li.

Top Bottom