• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars has been played by over 4 million people across all platforms

Draugoth

Gold Member

GBo4R7BXMAAeZ_C

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
It really wasn't for me, but I'm really happy for these guys. You can tell they poured a tonne of love into it and delivered something a lot of people really vibed with.

ByWatterson

Obviously this is a kickstarted game with a smaller budget, so between Gamepass, PS+, and purchases, they did really well.

But I'm still curious to know how much it sold. I myself played the demo for about (literally) 60 seconds, fell in love and immediately purchased. A top five game for the year for sure, maybe top two.

ungalo

Like many of my most anticipated games this year, it was disappointing. Didn't even finish it. I really thought the game would be an interesting revival just like The Messenger and play with the tropes of the genre but basically nothing happened for 15-20 hours so i stopped playing.

Madjaba

Really tried to like it but I couldn't continue and was bored after several hours.

Combat felt repetitive with too few options, the story was meh and the pace was really slow.

I admire the work they did but the game lacks its own proper soul.

Scotty W

Really tried to like it but I couldn't continue and was bored after several hours.

Combat felt repetitive with too few options, the story was meh and the pace was really slow.

I agree. 👏🏾Something👏🏾Is👏🏾Missing👏🏾

Looking through the thread, this makes me feel like the odd one out. LOL.

I absolutely enjoyed the game. I fully completed the it and got the true ending. Was a wonderful experience. Can I place it on top with the great class RPG's that the game clearly takes inspiration from? No, but I also wasn't expecting it to be that way. The story while simple, had quite a few cool moments I enjoyed, with a pretty solid cast of characters. The combat felt great. While I would have loved more skills over all per character, towards the later half of the game it had me swapping between party members on the fly to be able to counter bosses, the skill selection became a nonissue.

The only real big complaint I had was that the world map felt like an afterthought until near the end of the game. You went from island to island on 1 path that maybe split up to 2-3 spots that you'll visit VERY soon after you arrive there. It wasn't until the final parts of the game where suddenly I felt like I could fully explore the world.

iHaunter

Actually, 3,999,999 people. And it will stay that way forever, because I refuse to play until the Completionist is restored to his rightful place, with apologies.
He's a POS who used his dead mom's sickness to take money for charity that he used to pay his own bills.

I hope he goes bankrupt.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have been checking it out. It seems ok. I like the turn based combat. Character design is decent. Story is fair. I have made it to some mountain caves with wind. Hopefully it stays fun.

Like many of my most anticipated games this year, it was disappointing. Didn't even finish it. I really thought the game would be an interesting revival just like The Messenger and play with the tropes of the genre but basically nothing happened for 15-20 hours so i stopped playing.

You can really tell the people who stop playing before the game
kills off a main character and pivots into a science-fiction RPG

ungalo

You can really tell the people who stop playing before the game
kills off a main character and pivots into a science-fiction RPG
played that part and it's nothing new in JRPG, it's not used in a clever way here from what i recall

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Disappointment of the year for me, very easily.
Perfect example that if there’s one thing worse than games getting raving reviews from paid shills, it’s games getting raving reviews from shills who paid to support the project.
Thank God Game Pass exists and allows people to try such stuff without paying directly for it.

I mean, it’s not bad, but the hype around it was so ridiculous that it just made more painfully obvious how mediocre the game really is.

Vyse

Gold Member
I’m really enjoying the game. Close to the end and it’s kept my attention. A little confusing for me at times. Not always sure what I am supposed to do.

Fbh

Congrats to them I guess.
While I did find the game a bit disappointing, particularly in regards to the story and characters, I still had fun with it and found it an overall enjoyable experience (solid 7/10 IMO).
However I do hate how they locked the true ending behind finding some fucking collectibles.

Madjaba

You can really tell the people who stop playing before the game...
Next time they should give a better pace to the game before throwing an absolute predictable twist that nobody cares about.

You should not have to play more than 15 hours of repetitive gameplay to at last be entertained a little... with one of the most predictable twist used in JRPG since the SNES era.

Last edited:
Disappointment of the year for me, very easily.
Perfect example that if there’s one thing worse than games getting raving reviews from paid shills, it’s games getting raving reviews from shills who paid to support the project.
Thank God Game Pass exists and allows people to try such stuff without paying directly for it.

I mean, it’s not bad, but the hype around it was so ridiculous that it just made more painfully obvious how mediocre the game really is.

I would avoid looking at the overall steam rating of any game because even average games get a thumbs up, because there really is no other path than thumbs up or thumbs down so naturally a lot average towards decent games can easily climb 90% rating. What I do instead, is look at negative reviews and positives ones from people who have at least 50 reviews attached to their profiles. Anyone with 0/1 reviews is most likely paid/bot. I havent played the game yet tho.

Last edited:

Scotty W

He's a POS who used his dead mom's sickness to take money for charity that he used to pay his own bills.

I hope he goes bankrupt.
He took that horrible pain, the suffering, the… anguish of using a loved one, and he used it to create something beautiful. He bought a ton of games and he shared them with people like me. I am ocd obese with high social anxiety, BARELY making enough money to cover basic living rxpenses, and making friends and going out and buying games is super triggering for me because of all the fascists in my town and all I wanna do is curl up and cry. And you know what, the Competionist is right there with me under the covers, holding me, soothing me, helping keep my trauma ducts clear. I get him, he gets me! We both have trauma! The world gave him trauma and he returned the favour with beauty. A bit of reclaimations-reparations is a small price to pay for that, if you ask me, bigto!

Top Bottom