• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves on PS5 requires a Microsoft account to play (due to cross progression)

ManaByte

Gold Member
The PSN store entry for Sea of Thieves answered whether or not there will be cross progression. They promised cross play, but the PS5 version is the same as it is on Steam: a MS account is required to play. Meaning that due to it using he same account across all platforms, those with hundreds of hours of play won’t need to start over on PS5.

ZhPIGbN.jpg

StueyDuck

The PSN store entry for Sea of Thieves answered whether or not there will be cross progression. They promised cross play, but the PS5 version is the same as it is on Steam: a MS account is required to play. Meaning that due to it using he same account across all platforms, those with hundreds of hours of play won’t need to start over on PS5.

ZhPIGbN.jpg
Does that me trophies and achievements in one foul swoop

YCoCg

Yeah it's the same on PC too, if you buy it on Steam, you still have to log in with a MS account, the good thing is that you get unlocks on both sides that way, e.g. Achievements unlock on Steam and Xbox, Cloud Saves work on Steam and Xbox, etc, etc.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
John Krasinski GIF

Crossplay/progression needs a centralised account to work as a man in the middle, but when that account belongs to a platform holder itself, obviously they can't ask you to create another account to work with; this is completely expected.

reinking

Gold Member
I kind of figured it was going to be a requirement for most, if not all, Microsoft Games. Even games like Genshin Impact require a hoyoverse account for cross save/progression. I believe a lot of the move toward Microsoft Gaming instead of Xbox branding is due to the push toward a third party presence by Microsoft. Phil being moved to CEO of Microsoft Gaming was my first clue.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
As you create an account you get a pop-up: Pls buy an Xbox, 50% off. We take back your shitty PS5 for $500. Kthxbai.

welshrat

To be honest this is great and if more games from game pass come along even better. I only ever bought a series X due to game pass (sold it after no use) but use it a fair amount on PC so having cross play on any games would be great. I genuinely believe we will have many more titles coming over in the next few years

ElRenoRaven

I have zero problem with that. In fact cross progression is a feature more multiplatform games should have. It's slowly becoming more common.

Aenima

Hard pass.

Why is it not optional. I am only ever gonna play this on playstation...
Pretty much all onlie games need certain accounts, being an EA account, Ubisoft account, Square Enix account, etc. You just dont notice cuz its a 1 click process most of the times as those accounts are already linked to your PSN profile.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I hate these things. Downloaded and was going to play Immortals Fenyx Rising when it was on game pass but it wanted some Ubisoft sign-in. That’s fine. Deleted. Wasn’t that interested to have to jump through an unnecessary corporate hoop to play a game.

Oppoi

It's a bold strategy, trying to leech off the userbase you so openly tried to kill. Then again Microsoft have always been bold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom