• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Evermore love, where art thou?

Vieo

The more I play and remember this game, the more I love it. Good times. :)

EDIT: Is this the least anime-influenced RPG to ever come out of Square?

snes-pal_secret_of_evermore.jpg

boy.jpg

dog2antiqua.jpg
toast.jpg

prof.jpg
fireeyes.jpg

horace.jpg
carltron.jpg

soe-terminator.jpg

Soe_2.jpg
soebones.jpg

Deku

Banned
I thought this game was a strong 1st attempt by Square USA.

Except for the last world, Omnitopia, the other worlds were truly inspired. Nobilia, Anitqua, and the prehistoric world were fun to play around in.

The soundtrack by Jeremy Soule was also top notch, and very ambient and moody. The problem was that too many RPG geeks of the day were expecting a Secret of Mana redux type game and Evermore just wasn't it. It is its own game.

Ranger X

I was so deceived when we received this shit (IMO) instead of Secret of Mana 2...
I heard that Secret of Mana 2 wasn't all that great but good God i'm sure it's better than Secret of Evermore. Well, it was playable but i didn't like the script, movies references, fucking endless item combination and fetching and ah well, maybe it was too americain somewhere i don't know. I'm still no attracted and i would replay Secret of Mana anytime.

jarrod

Banned
Evermore gets an unfair rap for not being Seiken Densetsu 3. It's a fun little ARPG in it's own right though... I'd definitely pick up a GBA port if Square Enix bothered.

Brannon

The only reason I hate the game with severe loathing is that I tried to rent it several times and EVERY RENTAL CARTRIDGE WAS DAMAGED, wasting my weekend.

Now that I am wiser and more in tune to the ways of the emu (yeah, that australian bird SO THERE :p), is it time to hit it baby one more time?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It wasn't bad for what it was, even though the whole ending portions of the game were stupid
the butler did it!
, and the game had an excessive amount of levelling up weapons and spells. I didn't like the alchemy at all. Some of the worlds were kind of cool, and I liked the transforming dog (Toaster Dog!).

The music really grew on me, it works really well but originally I was expecting a Mana style soundtrack and was *VERY* disappointed. Nowadays, being much more into ambient and electronic music, it works great. Jeremy Soule is also a rather big name in the PC music scene - he did the music for Total Annihilation.

Not a bad attempt, certainly better than many Western RPGs (I will rather play this through again than Fable, for instance), but I was always more of a Seiken 3 fan, myself.

demi

Evermore is the best game ever, better than Mana, better than everything. True square fans appreciate this title, if not, well, stop gaming. Period.

mothafuckin toaster dog

arf arf

demi joins your team

ToxicAdam

I think some of you people live on a different planet than I do. If you weren't disappointed in Evermore you either:

1) Hated Mana or 2) Had no friends or outside stimuli, and liked anything you played.

Claus

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
I think some of you people live on a different planet than I do. If you weren't disappointed in Evermore you either:

1) Hated Mana or 2) Had no friends or outside stimuli, and liked anything you played.

Mana wasn't too great of a game really. No character development, rushed story, broken gameplay(chain casting), one of the worst menu systems and void of any challenge. Square could have done a better job.

CO_Andy

jenov4 said:
Did this game ever get released in Japan?
Take a closer look at the first picture.

Evermore iz one of my favorite action-rpgs. It's a very unique experience in the fact it melds eastern & western ideas together (and i like the 100% charge system, which Square got rid of in Seiken 3).

Certainly better than Shadow Madness imo.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
As easy as it was to abuse the alchemy system, it wasn't any worse than the abillity to abuse Mana's system.

While Kikuta's Mana music is much more popular, I'd contend that Soule's is much more effective as it often the excellent mood music serves as an effective counterbalance against the cheesy wackiness the story offered.

Speaking of the cheesiness, even at the young age I played it, I realized most people would either love it or hate it. The entire story is littered with sci-fi/horror B-movie references and I loved it for what it was, including the predictable ending.

Also, I may have missed out on some tricks in SoE, but I found the battle system to be way better than Mana's if only for the fact it wasn't completely broken and riddled with easily exploitable bugs.

number386

It was a good game, was Ted Woolsey the producer of this game? Cant remember. I remember I was so hyped for this game, looking back now the game prices of the late 16 bit era was rediculous. I remember I bought this game for $79.99. :lol

Flakster99

Secret of Evermore was quite an enjoyable RPG that I've replayed countless times over the years.

Fun, short, ambiance that tingled my senses and beautiful.

One of the most enjoyable game experiences I've ever had. All of it is great, but the thing that grabbed me the most was it's dry sense of humor.

Deku

Banned
I have a soft spot for Japanese RPGs, but Evermore was one of the few western RPGs that won me over.

It's sin was being neither Japanese nor Western. There's no pompous voice acting by paladin wannabes, nor are there cute puffballs with high pitched screams. It's just a very unique game.

Claus said:
Mana wasn't too great of a game really. No character development, rushed story, broken gameplay(chain casting), one of the worst menu systems and void of any challenge. Square could have done a better job.

asdf.gif

Deku

Banned
oh boy, the Mana defense force to the rescue.

For the record, I LOVED Mana, more than Evermore even, but I still appreciate Evermore a lot.

Evermore tried to bring the campy 1950's-influenced sci-fi theme into the genre. It was something different, I agree, but Earthbound (although a JRPG vs. a Action RPG) just fucking killed it as far as that whole theme goes. Even though Evermore's gameplay was ok, after Earthbound, the story and presentation just seemed a lot less motivating and interesting.

madara

TheJollyCorner said:
I remember absolutely hating this game.

It was Secret of Mana's retarded stepbrother.

Diddo for me as well. I cant remember the specifics but I got 3/4 of the way thru and I had to quit. I think it was a combo of some broken mechanics and very lame storyline. I rather glad I cant completely remember. Its surely no mana, but maybe that why some western fans like it, to each their own.

ronito

Wha??? I there's secret of evermore love?

I remember playing it back in the day (I had gotten it as a present) and thinking to myself, "Man. This is just awful."

Last year I was reading about how some people actually liked it. So I decided to try it again. And pretty much came away saying, "Man. This is just awful."

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ark-AMN said:
I liked it.

I liked it as well. And was pleasantly surprised at how much I wasn't dissapointed by the Square America's in house efforts. And this is coming from a guy who played this right after Chrono Trigger.

And yeah, the dog was cool.

It's no FF, CT or BoF however....

that mother fucking dog rocks.

I enjoyed this game more than anything all the way up to the very last dungeon. God I love the Greek era.

Gladatorial Combat WOOT.

Dude and the Ferry Man accross the Desert...shit...*unpacks snes*

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I was very disappointed by it. SoM's greatest draw was its incredible multiplayer. SoE ripped off the gameplay, broke it down to single player, featured some truly g-d awful art (though the graphics themselves were certainly much more competent than SoM's), and in general, was too stupid and goofy for its own good. Excellent music, truly. It was ok, in hindsight, but was never more than a very poor and very limited mimicry of something truly great.

Alex

Seiken Densetsu/Mana is the most overrated game series in existance. One decent game that was decent mostly because co-op RPG's were basically non-existant at the time.

Evermore on the other hand, fucking rocked, so at least it did some good in spawning it.

Mana looked good, and sounded good, and the multiplayer was really nice back in the day of shooters and 2D fighters, but I dunno, I never cared for it outside of the novelty of it all. Evermore was such a clever and inspired game by compare, IMO

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Alex said:
Seiken Densetsu/Mana is the most overrated game series in existance. One decent game that was decent mostly because co-op RPG's were basically non-existant at the time.

To steal a line: Quoted for great justice.

Ark-AMN

Banned
The thing I did remember most fondly about the game was the music and its wonderful focus on ambiance.

I guess it should have been no suprise to learn that this was because of Jeremy Soule, I mean, damn, that guy is probably one of the best (if not the best) composers here in the West.

Mejilan said:
I was very disappointed by it. SoM's greatest draw was its incredible multiplayer. SoE ripped off the gameplay, broke it down to single player, featured some truly g-d awful art (though the graphics themselves were certainly much more competent than SoM's), and in general, was too stupid and goofy for its own good. Excellent music, truly. It was ok, in hindsight, but was never more than a very poor and very limited mimicry of something truly great.

True, I do recall being quite annoyed that it wasn't multiplayer because my brother and I fully enjoyed playing SoM co-op.

I despise this game... The "Secret" title gave me false hopes that it would be somewhere near as good as Mana. That sh1t is hot garbage tho. Bleh.

lexy

It was alright. It would have been a lot better if they had included a multi-player mode like they did in Secret of Mana.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that the majorty of the people who didn't like Secret of Mana probably played it alone.

bobble said:
I liked Evermore way more than Mana.... *hides*

Good times. I love that game. HATERS BE DAMNED.

I agree with you

Mana IMHO was only truly playable in multiplayer

playing it single player was a lesson in annoying game AI that liked to get stuck behind rocks and die

Evermore didn't ever run into that problem, I had a GREAT time with the game

Porridge

Evermore was a good game, with great, moody music.

Thanks for posting those pieces of art, it's cool to see the actual designs on paper like that

Shouta

Nowhere near as good as Seiken Densetsu 2 (or even Seiken Densetsu 3) it was a pretty solid game otherwise. Some neat concepts in the game though and the whole world hopping theme was pretty cool since it did each area very well. Combat was a little mundane and alchemy was not as neat as it could have been. There were some nasty ass glitches in the game though, unlimited bazooka shots if you buy one piece of ammo, Spear-throw charge technique being done multiple times on one charge and a few others.

CO_Andy

Slightly off-topic, but iz Legend of Mana any good? That's the only game in the series i haven't played yet (yeah, that's right, Evermore iz part of the series!)

Top Bottom