• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secretly recorded Republican congress meeting reveals concern on repeal of Obamacare

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

I never understood Republicans' opposition to Obamacare in the first place. Did they have specific policy criticisms or was it simply the fact that Obama championed it?

Obama did it federally. That's their real gripe with it.

Other than that, it's Romneycare on a federal scale with better cost-cutting measures--which is GOP as hell. They made an argurment against their own baby, slapped Obamas name on it, and now realize they can't really replace their own idea with anything better. Partisan fuckery at its finest/worst

Tigress

Their concern seems to be upcoming elections rather than the well-being of Americans but whatever works...

On the good side, at least they are concerned... that's the whole idea of democracy is that they are concerned with what their populace thinks.

(and honestly I'm so cynical about GOP that's a small relief to me that they actually might be concerned. I am getting to the point that I worry they aren't concerned and feel they can get away with it).

I never understood Republicans' opposition to Obamacare in the first place. Did they have specific policy criticisms or was it simply the fact that Obama championed it?

Its their plan. They were just complaining about it for political points because they didn't think a republican could actually win the presidency.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So... should I call me R senator and tell them angry I want it repealed? Because I kinda want the fallout on them

Ms.Galaxy

It's a more conservative, striped down version of Romneycare. They backed themselves into a corner by being against it solely because Obama approved it. It's hilarious. The only alternative plan they could come up with that's better is just trying to fix Obamacare and adding the public option. That's really all they have, because trying to go more conservative would mean just repealing it and replacing it with nothing.

Basically:

a6fgYPT.gif

_Ryo_

Basically "I care about how this makes me look but I don't care about the people who actually affected"

Their concern seems to be upcoming elections rather than the well-being of Americans but whatever works...

But, I would argue that's tied to worrying about the well-being of the American people. Well....their constituents. If you're worried about re-election, you want to tread carefully and not piss 'em off.

Maybe it's not coming from a "good place" (arguable), but I wouldn't label this as an outright disregard for the well-being of Americans.

commedieu

Banned
Honestly. Just repeal "obamacare" the base won't know the difference. The media that reports on it will just be dubbed fake news. Keep it as it is. Enjoy the success? Be happy you've done some good for once in your miserable fucking lives.

But, I would argue that's tied to worrying about the well-being of the American people. Well....their constituents. If you're worried about re-election, you want to tread carefully and not piss 'em off.

Maybe it's not coming from a "good place" (arguable), but I wouldn't label this as an outright disregard for the well-being of Americans.

It's not coming from a good place. They don't care about Americans health, if they did they'd have a plan in place for it. Even if it's just window dressing.

Then combine that with their comments. And you've got a Republican.

Xe4

Banned
So... should I call me R senator and tell them angry I want it repealed? Because I kinda want the fallout on them
It'd be glorious to see, but no. In fact, you should try your hardest to see it not repealed. The shade would be awesome, but in no way make up for the suffering a lot of people would go through.

It's a more conservative, striped down version of Romneycare. They backed themselves into a corner by being against it solely because Obama approved it. It's hilarious. The only alternative plan they could come up with that's better is just trying to fix Obamacare and adding the public option. That's really all they have, because trying to go more conservative would mean just repealing it and replacing it with nothing.

Basically:

a6fgYPT.gif
There's a bit more to fixing the ACA than just adding the public option. For instance, putting in price controls is the most important thing to add right now.

Ms.Galaxy

Honestly. Just repeal "obamacare" the base won't know the difference. The media that reports on it will just be dubbed fake news. Keep it as it is. Enjoy the success? Be happy you've done some good for once in your miserable fucking lives.

Yeah, just "repeal" Obamacare and replace it with Trumpcare, it's the same thing except it's functional now that the GOP is willing to fund it.

There's a bit more to fixing the ACA than just adding the public option. For instance, putting in price controls is the most important thing to add right now.

I'm well aware. That's why I said, "fix Obamacare and add the public option."

Hale-XF11

We elect people with a lack of empathy. Does this mean we lack empathy too?

Because I gotta say, I feel like this country is bottoming out as far as that is concerned.

It'd be glorious to see, but no. In fact, you should try your hardest to see it not repealed. The shade would be awesome, but in no way make up for the suffering a lot of people would go through.

That too would go directly against their core message that government is bad and should interact with the free market as little as possible.

The amount of stuff leaking out of Washington lately is insane.

This seems like a pretty normal leak to me though -- and possibly a deliberate one? Everyone's owning it. It makes them look good, like they're deliberate, cautious people who understand the concept of "consequences" (even if it is framed as selfish political consequences). It differentiates them from the Trump admin while still sounding like the Republican Party and doesn't threaten their standing with the more extreme end of their base.

It's weird that they think that they might be able to get away with fewer people caring about defunding PP if only it wasn't done at the same time as ACA repeal.

RDreamer

Well, if they really wanted some good, they could mostly keep it and in addition reverse some of the sabotage they did to it through the years in order to make it work better.

But they won't. You know why I know they won't? They're still sabotaging it. They took down all ads and emails about the signup deadline.

UberTag

Call them, demand that they follow through on their election promise to repeal the ACA, tell them they can't just rename it something else and defund Planned Parenthood and call it a day and tell them that you expect more affordable health care with no new taxes to support your wife and 2 kids on your 30K a year salary or you'll vote Democrat for the rest of your life because they were at least able to deliver "something".

They'll like that.
KuGsj.gif

Patryn

It was a Republican Health Care plan, created by a conservative think tank, introduced and advanced by the Republicans in the '90s and originally championed by a Republican governor.

What do you think?

commedieu

Banned
Yeah, just "repeal" Obamacare and replace it with Trumpcare, it's the same thing except it's functional now that the GOP is willing to fund it.

I'm well aware. That's why I said, "fix Obamacare and add the public option."

I think you just discovered a new problem. They likely don't want to fund it either :/

Well, if they really wanted some good, they could mostly keep it and in addition reverse some of the sabotage they did to it through the years in order to make it work better.

But they won't. You know why I know they won't? They're still sabotaging it. They took down all ads and emails about the signup deadline.

Oh ffs.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Texas) worried that one idea floated by Republicans — a refundable tax credit — won’t work for middle-class families that can’t afford to prepay their premiums and wait for a tax refund.

Why do republicans want a refundable tax credit so much anyway? It's almost like they just want it because it's different from Obamacare subsidies.

It's not even Romneycare, it's a shitty version of Nixoncare.

Their only option here is to go further left or dismantle everything, which essentially gives them no options.

I don't really see the benefit to self-leaking it here

I'm sure there are some Republican congresspersons who realize repealing this will doom them in upcoming elections when their constituents lose their healthcare.

Obama did it federally. That's their real gripe with it.

Other than that, it's Romneycare on a federal scale with better cost-cutting measures--which is GOP as hell. They made an argurment against their own baby, slapped Obamas name on it, and now realize they can't really replace their own idea with anything better. Partisan fuckery at its finest/worst

And this is also why passing the GOP plan for healthcare reform may be seen as a politically genius move in the years ahead. Obama and the Democrats have trapped the Republican party. There is no easy way out. They either have to throw poor/sick people under the bus (probably what will end up happening) or they'll have to capitulate and spin why they 'fixed' the ACA instead of replacing it.

kirblar

This

sounds like the kind of shit someone who's been sleeping through a meeting until just now and decided they had to throw out a line to make themselves sound intelligent.
If they blow things up prior to the '18 or '20 elections they will face incredible amounts of blowback.
Why do republicans want a refundable tax credit so much anyway? It's almost like they just want it because it's different from Obamacare subsidies.
It's actually not a bad idea if your goal is to eventually get the insurance premiums completely off of the backs of employers and onto individuals. (That's unlikely to be their goal tho)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can they just vote to change the name? It's fucking stupid but you know..what the fuck.

They can't because Obama already proposed that, saying he does not care for the credit. So if they do it, it'll be as if they just prove him right.

Patryn

Because it's easy to sell that as a tax cut, which their base likes.

In addition, tax credits disproportionately benefit the rich over the poor.

Biske

They really did not expect Trump to win, lol.

Six years since ACA passed and their best idea is nothing.

This, they had 8 years of easy bullshit to run against, ready made slogans, but never seriously considered winning on it and what would happen and what they would do.

Fucking clown car of a party and administration.

spock

On the good side, at least they are concerned... that's the whole idea of democracy is that they are concerned with what their populace thinks.

(and honestly I'm so cynical about GOP that's a small relief to me that they actually might be concerned. I am getting to the point that I worry they aren't concerned and feel they can get away with it).

I read this the same way. Sure their politicians and worrying about elections is crass but they did seem to actually want to put up something that helps people. From the sound of it though, they got no fucking clue how to do that however.

AndyD

aka andydumi

It blocks poor and middle class people out because they don't have the money to pre-pay and wait on taxes. This drives usage down, leaving only the wealthier and healthier to benefit from the newly unpressured healthcare system.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Because it's easy to sell that as a tax cut, which their base likes.

In addition, tax credits disproportionately benefit the rich over the poor.

Meanwhile everyone who was getting subsidies will get a much larger price tag on their premiums with a promise of making it up at tax time, making it a lot harder to sell as being cheaper than the "absolute disaster" of obamacare.

Call them, demand that they follow through on their election promise to repeal the ACA, tell them they can't just rename it something else and defund Planned Parenthood and call it a day and tell them that you expect more affordable health care with no new taxes to support your wife and 2 kids on your 30K a year salary or you'll vote Democrat for the rest of your life because they were at least able to deliver "something".

They'll like that.
KuGsj.gif

I'd go one step further and claim to be a business owner. Say that you'll pull funding from the party because at least the Democrats tried to lower healthcare costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom