• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega appoints Dreamcast and PSOne veteran Shuji Utsumi as new Western boss

1x-1-1024x576.jpg

Shuji Utsumi has been appointed as President/COO and CEO of Sega America and Europe.

The change was announced by Sega’s parent company Sega Sammy on Wednesday.

Utsumi has had a storied career in the video game industry including being instrumental in the founding of Sony Computer Entertainment and launching the PlayStation in North America.
He also helped launch the Sega Dreamcast outside of Japan, and served as the executive producer of dozens of Sega’s classic hits.

Utsumi originally departed Sega in the early 2000s, where he went on to work at Disney Interactive. Utsumi is said to have been vital in bridging the gap between Disney and Square Enix to establish the Kingdom Hearts franchise.
Utsumi would then founded Q Entertainment with Tetsuya Mizuguchi, who he developed a relationship with during his time at Sega working on Rez.

Utsumi returned to Sega in 2020, serving as the CSO of Sega of Japan, as well as the general manager of Sega’s Game Contents & Service Business HQ. His most recent title was Co-COO, President of Consumer Game and Transmedia, Representative Director, CEO, Sega of America, Inc. Chairman, Sega Europe Ltd.

Jinzo Prime

Since he was the co-COO of Sega, this would be a demotion unless they are investing a lot into Sega USA. The PS4 and PS5 architect got his start at the Sega Technical Institute, they could be restarting that legacy.

onQ123

Sega watching from the shadows waiting for Xbox to bailout of the console business so they can release Dreamcast 2: Nightmare or New Genesis

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Utsumi-san's a good guy, and I fully trust him with this stuff. He was adamant about the importance of Sega's older IP, and is why we're getting all those new franchise entries they announced in December. I think Sega's in good hands.

Top Bottom