• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Krelian

Soleil is actually an awesome game!
I agree. It's actually one of my favorite Genesis games. The funny thing is I got it for my 14th birthday while the game starts with the celebration of the main character's 14th birthday. I'll never forget that coincidence.

IrishNinja

Ah yeah, Wily Wars. I'd love to have that one. But if you don't mind PAL versions you should look into the UK version of Soleil (Crusader of Centy). It's much more affordable. Example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-MEGA...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2327350a65

not a bad idea...is there a game genie code/easy workaround for that one? likewise, with Wily Wars, anytime i see a $200 "US" version, i think damn that's a lot for a bootleg.

MUSHA broke my heart, though. i was looking to replace my favorite childhood SHMUPs, and that was at the top of my list! can't believe how expensive it is. i wish i could toss $20 at a good bootleg cart of it just to have it back.

Okay, I'd assumed MUSHA was only gonna be $50 or so.

$100 minimum? Holy shit.

Looking at completed listings. Cheapest cart-only was $61. What.

IrishNinja

once i pay off the damage ive been doing the last few weeks, id bite for like $50 on the cart but yeah...nah

$100 CIB is pretty damn good apparently so congrats! man when i get enough space to spread these shelves out, i bet the universal game cases next to the classic genesis shells might drive me nuts, i gotta find some empties sometime haha

Krelian

not a bad idea...is there a game genie code/easy workaround for that one?
The good news is there is one and the game isn't optimized for PAL regions so it will run great at 60Hz. The bad news is you will lose the save function when using game genie. Supposedly it happens to all games with save functions.

So the only way to properly play it would be to mod your console. Maybe get a second console just to mod it. I suppose it would still be cheaper than getting the Genesis version.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The good news is there is one and the game isn't optimized for PAL regions so it will run great at 60Hz. The bad news is you will lose the save function when using game genie. Supposedly it happens to all games with save functions.

So the only way to properly play it would be to mod your console. Maybe get a second console just to mod it. I suppose it would still be cheaper than getting the Genesis version.
Are you sure this also applies to Wily Wars? I know that particular game used a different kind of save system than the vast majority of Genesis games, but I forgot the technical details of it.

Krelian

Are you sure this also applies to Wily Wars? I know that particular game used a different kind of save system than the vast majority of Genesis games, but I forgot the technical details of it.
It shouldn't apply to Wily Wars. I was only talking about Soleil/Crusader of Centy. I don't know the technical details either but it seems outside of Soleil it only applies to a few other games like Story of Thor, so I doesn't actually apply to all games with save functions after all.

daninthemix

I agree. It's actually one of my favorite Genesis games. The funny thing is I got it for my 14th birthday while the game starts with the celebration of the main character's 14th birthday. I'll never forget that coincidence.

Neat. I think I was 14 when I played it too.

I quite enjoyed it but also couldn't help but feel it was rather lacking in soul. Same with Story of Thor actually. I read somewhere that those two were part of a big RPG campaign by Sega to try and battle the SNES, and in some ways they feel like that - like they came off a production line.

IrishNinja

damn...kinda wish my modded gen had a region thing now. it's no big deal though, i wasn't in a huge hurry and ive seen a few loose carts of Crusader go for like $50 i wanna say, i'll just hold out i guess

MUSHA though, that'd be worth the effort if JP/EU were significantly cheaper, no save needed for that one anyway

Argyle

damn...kinda wish my modded gen had a region thing now. it's no big deal though, i wasn't in a huge hurry and ive seen a few loose carts of Crusader go for like $50 i wanna say, i'll just hold out i guess

MUSHA though, that'd be worth the effort if JP/EU were significantly cheaper, no save needed for that one anyway

Japanese Musha Aleste is region free iirc (aside from the physical cartridge incompatibility), no idea if it is any cheaper.

BosSin

Japanese Musha Aleste is region free iirc (aside from the physical cartridge incompatibility), no idea if it is any cheaper.
I keep seeing Musha Aleste on eBay compared to any other region. Does this version have both languages on the cart?
Or is it Japanese only?

canocha

Can't you get a Mega Key 3 or something like that?

drspeedy

Just stopping in here to say that Beyond Oasis is my new favorite Genesis game, ever.

Having only started my Sega console collections in the last 2-3 years, I don't have many games, or the the manual or box for anything, but now I want to find the booklet for this one... Any game that opens with this:

600full-beyond-oasis-screenshot.jpg

Has got to have some great things in the manual. Awesome.

About 50% of the way through, and I'm really enjoying the game. Makes me want to get a Saturn just so I can play Legend

canocha

Just stopping in here to say that Beyond Oasis is my new favorite Genesis game, ever.

Having only started my Sega console collections in the last 2-3 years, I don't have many games, or the the manual or box for anything, but now I want to find the booklet for this one... Any game that opens with this:

600full-beyond-oasis-screenshot.jpg

Has got to have some great things in the manual. Awesome.

About 50% of the way through, and I'm really enjoying the game. Makes me want to get a Saturn just so I can play Legend

PMed you!
Have fun!

Its an awesome game (with a little case of bad collision boxes or whatever its called).

IrishNinja

Gunstarheroes PM me back man, i wanna trade these games!

also never did get into Beyond Oasis, perhaps i should...

Can't you get a Mega Key 3 or something like that?

wasn't aware this existed...couldn't find it on ebay, just this one for megadrives right now, i think...but ill keep looking!

canocha

Gunstarheroes PM me back man, i wanna trade these games!

also never did get into Beyond Oasis, perhaps i should...

wasn't aware this existed...couldn't find it on ebay, just this one for megadrives right now, i think...but ill keep looking!

I guess mega key 3 is an European thing (it came with Dragon Ball Z most of the time)... i didn't notice you were talking about Sega Genesis.
megakey3.jpg

Mine looks like that and has a few switches on the back.

Slermy

I'd love to see some big ass tower, like Mega Drive + Mega CD II + 32X + Action Replay + Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 2 with infrared controllers adapter. Just for the fun of it.

Edit: Found one

Sega-Tower-of-Power.jpg

How about one that would actually work? Here's my own setup. Sorry, I only had a Game Genie, no Action Replay:
eZpd1S5.jpg

IrishNinja

i think i see a neo-freakin-geo on that 2nd shelf though, so...we're good

I guess mega key 3 is an European thing (it came with Dragon Ball Z most of the time)... i didn't notice you were talking about Sega Genesis.

you/anyone else: does such a device exist for the genesis, though? i imagine not, as asking earlier i only heard about workarounds not naming that, but holy crap that thing looks handy, odd that we never got one

Krelian

you/anyone else: does such a device exist for the genesis, though? i imagine not, as asking earlier i only heard about workarounds not naming that, but holy crap that thing looks handy, odd that we never got one
I've never heard of a Mega Key either but it seems to be compatible with the Genesis too: http://www.retrogamecave.com/megakey.html

But you probably need a Super Mega Key, other versions apparently won't boot PAL games.

IrishNinja

damn...last one up on ebay looks like it cleared just over $50...sounds handy but i'll wait on some import carts before shopping around.

still checking on retrogamecave for those genesis/CD/32X all-in-one AC adapters, it'd be nice to not have to keep moving things about on these power strips

canocha

I've never heard of a Mega Key either but it seems to be compatible with the Genesis too: http://www.retrogamecave.com/megakey.html

But you probably need a Super Mega Key, other versions apparently won't boot PAL games.

I wonder if i can force my PAL games into 60hz... its says on that link

"
This is the code for Europe or UK PAL games.
The second switch adapts 50 Hz to 60 Hz in the down position.
"

Humm... i have to try it!

damn...last one up on ebay looks like it cleared just over $50...sounds handy but i'll wait on some import carts before shopping around.

still checking on retrogamecave for those genesis/CD/32X all-in-one AC adapters, it'd be nice to not have to keep moving things about on these power strips

I use one of them. Quite nice, and should be restocked soon.

IrishNinja

I use one of them. Quite nice, and should be restocked soon.

nice! i wanna say the site's FB page said they went for something reasonable like $25-30? so jumping on that

wasn't even planning on getting a 32x but ive seen a few on ebay (unit only) ship for just over $10...haha, that's a price i'll pay for such an oddity! at least space harrier, doom and a few others looked cool, though i'll never get Mark from Classic Game Room's fixation on Cosmic Carnage

That's a Neo Geo X.

I really need to take some pictures for this and the Saturn thread...

...close enough! well, it's more than i got, heh
and you totally should!

Slermy

i think i see a neo-freakin-geo on that 2nd shelf though, so...we're good

That's a Neo Geo X.

Yeah, it's a Neo Geo X. I don't own an actual Neo Geo... yet.

I have one called "Magic Key III" (I think that's what it's called). It works just fine on a Genesis. There's a series of dip switches on the back which you use to alter the region of your Genesis/Mega Drive. I've actually had it since I was a kid when I bought my first import title... Mega Man: The Wily Wars. :)

BosSin

I think I used to have one way back in the day as well, maybe to play Sonic 1 JAP (not too sure).
It's long gone by now

wasn't even planning on getting a 32x but ive seen a few on ebay (unit only) ship for just over $10...haha, that's a price i'll pay for such an oddity! at least space harrier, doom and a few others looked cool, though i'll never get Mark from Classic Game Room's fixation on Cosmic Carnage

Yeah, for that price it's worth it. Space Harrier, After Burner, and Virtua Racing are excellent on it.

woodypop

Yeah, for that price it's worth it. Space Harrier, After Burner, and Virtua Racing are excellent on it.
The 32X is an interesting novelty, and those games make it worth it (in addition to a few others), but damn, so many cords/cables, especially if a SEGA CD is involved, too. Thank goodness the CDX alleviates that, somewhat.

Dave Long

Banned
The 32X version of Mortal Kombat II is real good, too. If you like MK anyway. Also, I have always been a fan of 32X Quarterback Club from Acclaim. Metal Head, Zaxxon Motherbase 2000... these are also good.

Chaotix is stupid, mindless fun, too. Just don't go in expecting anything nearly as well-thought out as the mainline Sonic games, because the level design is far too scatter-brained and the Combi-Ring mechanics are just annoying enough that the game doesn't really get above average. The Special Stages are absolutely ace, however, and I like a lot of the cool hardware effects they used, like scaling, rotation, polygonal graphics, things shattering into individual pixels... a proper Sonic game with aesthetics like that sure would've been something to behold.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The 32X version of Mortal Kombat II is real good, too. If you like MK anyway. Also, I have always been a fan of 32X Quarterback Club from Acclaim. Metal Head, Zaxxon Motherbase 2000... these are also good.

The 32X version of Virtua Fighter is real good, too. If you like VF anyway!

The 32X version of Virtua Fighter is real good, too. If you like VF anyway!

I like it because of the lack of loading times and the novelty. In general, though, I'd go with Virtua Fighter Remix on the Saturn instead.

What's cool is that Virtua Fighter was actually running on an SVP chip (Virtua Racing for Genesis) and got bumped over to 32X instead.

Shadow Squadron/Stellar Assault was another of my favorites on 32X. And I enjoyed Star Wars Arcade too, though I thought the sound was pretty disappointing.

ascii42

Chaotix is stupid, mindless fun, too. Just don't go in expecting anything nearly as well-thought out as the mainline Sonic games, because the level design is far too scatter-brained and the Combi-Ring mechanics are just annoying enough that the game doesn't really get above average. The Special Stages are absolutely ace, however, and I like a lot of the cool hardware effects they used, like scaling, rotation, polygonal graphics, things shattering into individual pixels... a proper Sonic game with aesthetics like that sure would've been something to behold.

I've only ever played a couple levels. Does anything ever actually happen in the game? I don't remember seeing any enemies. The only enemy was the controls.

The special stages certainly seemed cool. Some day I'll sit down and beat it.

ascii42

Shadow Squadron/Stellar Assault was another of my favorites on 32X. And I enjoyed Star Wars Arcade too, though I thought the sound was pretty disappointing.

I really need to get that. That and Blackthorne are at the top of my list of games I really want to get for the 32x.

smbu2000

I like it because of the lack of loading times and the novelty. In general, though, I'd go with Virtua Fighter Remix on the Saturn instead.

What's cool is that Virtua Fighter was actually running on an SVP chip (Virtua Racing for Genesis) and got bumped over to 32X instead.
Oh they had it running on the Genesis in 3d with the svp chip? Wow, that would've been cool to try. Instead we got Virtua Fighter 2 in 2d!

I'm sure the cost of the svp chip made it too expensive. I remember VR releasing at a high price because of it.

I've only ever played a couple levels. Does anything ever actually happen in the game? I don't remember seeing any enemies. The only enemy was the controls.

The special stages certainly seemed cool. Some day I'll sit down and beat it.
Not really; every act is pretty damn similar to every other act in the same zone. The bosses are pretty nice, though, and the final boss is worth seeing, even though it's pathetically easy.

Scavenger

I have this weird issue with Sonic 2. 2 player splitscreen causes my screen to lose sync on 60HZ RGB. On the TV in my room the screen goes black and on the TV in the living room the screen is rolling. It works perfectly fine on 50HZ. Anyone got any idea what could be causing this?

I by the way got my Alien Soldier repro yesterday and it works perfectly fine. It's a region free cart, though it will run like shit when played on 50hz. The Ebay seller got a new batch, $19 with shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-MEGADI...660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cceb5344c

Well, the 2-player splitscreen uses a higher resolution than normal Genesis games (320x448, I think?), so I suppose it's not that surprising.

giggas

Was wondering if someone could help me with a Genesis problem.

I went to play Shinobi today on a Model 1 Genesis and I got a loud buzz from the TV. There was no picture displayed either. Music from the game did start up, and I could actually hit buttons on the controller and hear that the game was working.

Not that I really know what I'm looking at, but I popped open the console and looked around it to see if anything stood out as damaged. Didn't notice anything. I did play around with the AC Adapter and it seemed to affect the buzz sound a bit. Is it possible the AC adapter shit the bed and I should look into a new one, or does something else think it could be another problem?

Of course you can't use plug in a Model 2 adapter and see, that would be too easy. Thanks for the help.

Beckx

Someday, I will find a reasonably priced copy of M.U.S.H.A. for my Genesis.

Until then I'll keep hammering away at Target Earth. I beat this when I was a kid, dammit, what happened?

spookyfish

Man. About every three years, I boot up the old Saturn and convince myself I'm going to finish Legend of Oasis ... I never have. Instead of four Jinns you get six, and there is soooo much backtracking.

I need to start it again, and keep a journal, so I can remember where everything is located.

Loved the Genesis version, though.

Top Bottom