• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega implies Super Mario Wonder was responsible for Sonic Superstars selling less than expected

Draugoth

Gold Member
mario-vs-sonic-1440x810.jpg
Sega executives have implied that Super Mario Bros Wonder was responsible for Sonic Superstars selling fewer copies than expected. The company has just released its English translation of a Q&A session held earlier this month, following its Q3 results presentation for its current fiscal year.

Sega had stated that Sonic Superstars had sold fewer copies than had been forecast, so during the Q&A Sega Sammy Holdings executive vice president Makoto Takahashi and IR/SR department director Nobuaki Yoshii were asked how they evaluated the game’s performance.

“Although Sonic Superstars has generally been well received by those who have played it, the timing of the launch coincided with competing titles in the same genre, and it has been short of the initial forecast,” they replied.

“The strategic expansion of Sonic IP is progressing well, and we will continue to work to increase repeat sales of this title.”

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe they should consider that Sonic Superstars' final boss was a pain. I never did beat it coz it was too hard.

Saber

Gold Member
He say that when even Mania still better than Superstars. Not to mention you guys yourselfs choose to release this game closer to Wonder.
Thats why you never gonna beat Mario games. Play your own game and reconsider what you're doing.

Umm…Sega, whose idea was it to release Sonic the same month as Mario Wonder?

Sega should have had that came launch in a different quarter than Mario Wonder. I understand wanting to capitalize on Mario hype, but common. Get the hell out of the way!

Sonic, in my mind should have launched in May or June and did it’s initial sell thru at full price and by the time Mario Wonder launched, it could have gone on sale in early November as a impulse additional purchase for the holidays with Mario Wonder.

Nvzman

I liked Superstars but it was absolutely the price tag that affected sales. $60 is really overpriced for what the game offers, and it's just "ok". I'm sure if it was $20-$30 cheaper it would have been more warmly received, considering Mania was like $25 and it was incredible.

Sonic Superstars was and is Way too expensive, I still have not wishlisted it due to the price.
But I did buy Mario Wonder at full price. That game also did not warrant full price.
Mario games just don't do it for me any more.

JimboJones

The gulf in quality between Mario Wonder and Sonic Superstars is immense.
Not to say Sonic was bad but it's like comparing Oceanhorn to Links Awakening.

Deft Beck

Super Mario Wonder is simply a higher quality experience and a better value than Superstars. The latter is only a good proposition at a steep discount from MSRP. Sonic games outside of the big tentpole 3D games do not have a high enough reputation of quality to ask full price. They should launch them at $39.99 base instead of asking $60. Only hardcore Sonic fans will pay that much upfront.

SpiceRacz

It was simply not a very good game. And like others have mentioned, it was overpriced. Forget Mario Wonder. Compare Superstars to Mania, just in terms of quality. It feels like a rip-off at $60.

Last edited:

Svejk

Sega already starting their shitty excuses and mishandlings again... Keeping expectations low for these upcoming "revivals". Can't have my heart broken yet again by these chodes.

Capcom should take in Sega... They'd do them right.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Plotting Super Mario GIF by GIPHY Gaming

You really wanna go there sega. Back in the Ninties I made a key ring saying “Nintendo beats Amiga”
At the local sainsburys it was a SavaCentre you could make your own design and it would be printed for you. Anyway I digress. Look what happened……. Don’t make me make another one !!

You will be sorry.
Mario Kart Nintendo GIF

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Not unreasonable thinking. That a great game from another company Cannibalized a lot of your audience.

ProtoByte

It's not a very good game and trying to sell it at full price was insane. Should have been a 19,99 tops.
I agree, but maybe Sega was listening to the people saying they wanted smaller, shorter worse looking games for "sustainability" - presumably at the same pricing structure.

Blindy

Came out on other consoles besides Switch and Sega chose this date and not like December which it could have recoup more. No one's fault by SEGA.

Last edited:

Soltype

I mean they're not wrong, but their game also wasn't that good, so they weren't really putting their best foot forward.

Holammer

Sega should let EAD Tokyo develop a Sonic game so they can see how to do it properly
3fgx0t.jpg

Yes, I'd be super interested to see what Nintendo could do with Sonic.
Personally I would give Sonic the slow speed precision of a Mario game and put max speed at something similar to touching a rocket flower in Odyssey. Have the sprint delegated to carefully considered stunts and when you need to get from A to B fast. Instead of spamming long jumps like you do in Mario, you just hit the turbo.
Perhaps make him control more like an bmx/skateboard extreme sports game at speed and add braking.

Forbid any design crouches like speed boosters, grind rails and bounce pads.

tkscz

Aren't most sonic fans playing sonic games via the switch? In that case yeah, releasing it at the same time as Mario Wonder was a bad idea

Not to mention price. This game was sold at $60 when it looks and feels like a $30 game

Unknown?

He say that when even Mania still better than Superstars. Not to mention you guys yourselfs choose to release this game closer to Wonder.
Thats why you never gonna beat Mario games. Play your own game and reconsider what you're doing.
Eh I don't think Mania was better. Not in the single player aspect. Superstars problem came from shoehorning multiplayer that didn't work into it and charging too much. At $20 with no multiplayer it would have been just as good as Mania.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I mean, yeah? Why didn't they see this coming when it was obvious to everyone else?

Maybe don't release your new 2D Sonic game right alongside Nintendo's new flagship 2D Mario game? It's not rocket science.

Also, make better games if you want better sales.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
When are sega gonna learn.

The Dreamcast memories still hurt me. That was a great machine.
Now they back to shitting on Nintendo.

Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

Top Bottom