• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September NPD prediction thread: Switch will lose its first month after a record breaking 33 months straight on top (OLED in October)

Marty-McFly

Banned
With OLED launching in early October, I predict the record for consecutive NPD wins is finally broken this month followed by a new streak for Switch starting in October.

My prediction.

[NSW] 280K
[PS5] 300K
[XBS] 190K

Topher

Gold Member
Doubtful. Xbox Series X|S and PS5 are still extremely supply constrained whereas there is a full channel of Switches. We are in a market where even last gen hardware is high in demand. I don't think an OLED screen is going to change much, but we will see.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Doubtful. Xbox Series X|S and PS5 are still extremely supply constrained whereas there is a full channel of Switches. We are in a market where even last gen hardware is high in demand. I don't think an OLED screen is going to change much, but we will see.
Oled is being heavily advertised. The drop off in Japan in the weeks proceeding the OLED has been huge. I think the streak ends this month.

Woopah

Have we got any leaks of actual numbers this year? As far as I'm aware we don't have a firm understanding of the gap between Switch and PS5 each month (we can use the months PS5 did better in $ sales to get a very rough amount).

yurinka

100% agree. PS5 and Series X are very supply constrained while Switch is shipping and selling a ton of units and the OLED SKU didn't seem to negatively impact Switch sales in other western markets, so I assume it won't negatively impact in USA.

Switch will continue doing great numbers and will be 1st or 2nd depending on the amount of PS5 units Sony has been able to ship to USA this month. If they got a huge amount of chips and could produce a ton of consoles ready for this month, Switch will be second. But if as usual (and seems to be the case) they continue very supply constrained, Switch will be first.

Last edited:

Kilau

I don’t have a clue what sales will be but the last few times I’ve been in Walmart the only system in stock is the Switch, no PS or Xbox systems of any kind. Really strange to see.

Kagey K

Banned
I don’t have a clue what sales will be but the last few times I’ve been in Walmart the only system in stock is the Switch, no PS or Xbox systems of any kind. Really strange to see.
It’s been that way since last Sept or so here. From March ’20 - Sept ‘20 there were no consoles in stock.

Twice this year I have seen a Series S and a PS4. Otherwise it’s Switch only.

Marty-McFly

Banned
The portable is readily available.
The two consoles are not.
The Switch was not readily available early in its lifecycle and won several NPD tracking months.

The point is September is PS5's month. There will be a decline in Switch purchases for those holding out for the OLED.

Switch is a heavy favourite in October, November and December though.

Top Bottom