• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequel to Prey 2017 by Arkane Austin? Set for next week reveal at TGA

Skifi28

Gold Member
Seeing all these comments, wow, I didn't realise the game was so beloved. Every time I watched a review or somebody playing, I was like "meh whatever".

GHG

Gold Member
This is a game I need.

Still pissed off at all you fuckers who didn't play the first at launch because of the idiots who attempted to play it like a generic shooter and then said it was the worst thing ever.

Dan Stapleton too.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

The level design in that game and atmosphere was fantastic. But if you look at the MS dev roadmap, 97% are reboots, sequels, remakes. No new ideas allowed. In case you didnt know, the S in MS stands for safe.
I thought the S stood for $????
Has a new memo gone round?
Phil, what's going on fella?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Sheeeeeeeeit.

I'm a fan of the original Prey 2006 but the 2017 game had a cool story so hoping this is true.

The level design in that game and atmosphere was fantastic. But if you look at the MS dev roadmap, 97% are reboots, sequels, remakes. No new ideas allowed. In case you didnt know, the S in MS stands for safe.
Looks at PlayStation first party lineup
Jimmy Fallon No Difference GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

MrFunSocks

Banned
Looks at PlayStation first party lineup
Jimmy Fallon No Difference GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Aren’t sony even reportedly remastering a remaster of TLOU? Their premier launch titlesfor this gen (demons souls, miles, and spider man) were remaster/remake/sequels. They’ve got GT7 and god of war 8 on the way, a sequel to horizon, a remake/remaster of bloodborne supposedly, Spider man 2, then there’s the uncharted collection……

I don’t know how anyone can accuse Microsoft of doing too many sequels or remakes lol. Have Ms even done any remakes?

Last edited:

Project Mara, Everwild, Avowed, Redfall, Starfield, Contraband, Indiana Jones, Project Midnight (Compulsions game), InXile's 2 RPGs, etc are all brand new games.

Also, reboots are great when they're needed. The best PS4 game last generation was a reboot that was needed (God Of War).

Vognerful

Quick question, is this game considered a metrovinia game? It reminds me of Metroid prime.

Also, why don't we consider the classis RE titles to be metrovinia titles?

And what it has to do that the game is not good with the black lead... If the lead was white or yellow would the game be better or what? Woke politics are bad and ugly but dude the other spectrum is also bad.

Did you even read what I said? If it had a white protagonist it would not have been received so well. I can guarantee you that. I never said the protagonists were bad, in fact I think they were the only great thing about the game.

Bragr

Banned
Playing Prey on PC right now for the first time and it is an amazing game. At max settings and 120fps, it feels brand new too.

Would be hyped for this.
I'm in the same boat, about 4-5 hours into it right now, it's a lot more Bioshock than Dishonored is, and while it's not perfect it's pretty damn great.

Quick question, is this game considered a metrovinia game? It reminds me of Metroid prime.

Also, why don't we consider the classis RE titles to be metrovinia titles?

If by Metroidvania you mean inter-connected map with lots of secrets and backtracking, then yes, it's very much so. It has the perfect level design, the Dark Souls of immersive sims.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Hmmm, might have to jump back into it on PS5. I finished it on PS4 but it felt like a slog due to all the backtracking; spent a hell of a lot of time waiting on loading screens. If they are “vastly improved,” I will try the DLC and maybe go for the plat.

I don’t know if loading times will be vastly improved or improved at all in a noticeable way on PS5 it has to be an optimised game I believe? Where X/S does it to all games on a system level.

Might be worth seeing if there’s a YouTube video with comparison on PS5 first. But I feel you with the load times, that said still one of my GOATs over last decade. Not sure if I’ll replay and risk burn out if the secondary title is close but.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Prey 2017 bombed so hard that Raphael Colantonio left Arkane. It's a great game, one of my favorites of the past 10 years, but greenlighting a sequel is a difficult sell.
It had great critical reception though, so it wouldn't be unheard of.

Personally I don't know if I would even want a sequel. What made this game so special is probably what made it so unappealing to most people - the slow pace and the exploration. For a sequel they would probably cut down on both to make it more appealing to the mass - and then it would just become a shooter like dozend others.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I onestly can't believe this...

I would like a sequel to dishonored more but if they can make a prey sequel with more interesting enemies to fight i'm okay with that.

Godot25

Banned
Egh. Really?
Because Sony's first party lineup and Nintendo's are breath of fresh air :D...God of War 2, Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7, Zelda 2, Mario 89,

Redfall, Everwild, Starfield, Projet Mara, "Project Midnight" from Compulsion, "Project Cobalt" from inXile, Double Fine is probably making new IP, Zenimax Online is making new IP, GhostWire Tokyo, Contraband, that "Project Dragon" from IO Interactive, Pentiment, new IP from Stoic...

So yeah. No new ideas :D
For fuck sake, at least don't speak bullshit if you don't know anything about Microsoft's first party.

Nautilus

Banned
Prey was a great game that had a lot of potential but that completely failed in a few regards, mainly:

- Story: The story starts great, and has an incredible hook.But 30% into the game, the game barely develops it any further, and about 50% in you can figure it all out.When the ending hit, I already knew that was the case, and I wasn't surprised at all.

- Combat: Same as the story.Starts great, but gets repetitive and weak(not exactly boring, but mundane), as half the enemies stop posing any threat, and the other half isn't nearly as interesting to fight, due to you being overpowered or them having simple attack patterns.

I would love to see a sequel that improves on those two points.

Last edited:
I don't see it. Not with the style of game it is and the performance of the first game was poor, as with most arkane games. I think arcane will shift from mainly single player to multiplayer games moving forward.

Personally, I would love it, if it was true. I want them to make tight single player games that are 10-15 hours long every couple of years.

winjer

Gold Member
Seeing all these comments, wow, I didn't realise the game was so beloved. Every time I watched a review or somebody playing, I was like "meh whatever".

I don't know whose reviews you read or watched. But this is a great game.
Of course, if you are expecting a CoD like experience, then it will be a disappointment.
But if you want an immersive sim, with several ways to solve puzzles, combat and exploration, then this is one of the best games.
For people with no imagination, this will be a linear, boring game. But for people that can think a bit outside the box, then it becomes a huge playground.
Graphics are still good, even today. The art style is amazing. Music is iconic and memorable.
Story is terrific and it ends on one of the best twists ever made. But it also ends in a huge cliffhanger and that's the reason so many are excited for a sequel.

Riky

$MSFT
Prey was so much better at 60fps with the much better loading times on Series X, so hopefully this is true.

Prey was a great game that had a lot of potential but that completely failed in a few regards, mainly:

- Story: The story starts great, and has an incredible hook.But 30% into the game, the game barely develops it any further, and about 50% in you can figure it all out.When the ending hit, I already knew that was the case, and I wasn't surprised at all.

- Combat: Same as the story.Starts great, but gets repetitive and weak(not exactly boring, but mundane), as half the enemies stop posing any threat, and the other half isn't nearly as interesting to fight, due to you being overpowered or them having simple attack patterns.

I would love to see a sequel that improves on those two points.

It ain't a story focussed game.

They could have easily delivered story beats if they wanted.

Its an immersive sim.

Story is just there for you to discover on your own at your own pace.

There were a lot of revelatory stuff that was delivered in first person view, without breaking immersion a la cutscenes.

As for gameplay, I just treated it as adventure stealth game. Worked so much better that way. Don't attempt fights till you get shotgun.

Personally I feel Prey was executed to perfection, as developers intended. They didn't wanted to make mass market friendly, Naughty Dog'esque slick game.

Instead, it's quirky game with lot of character.

Nautilus

Banned
It ain't a story focussed game.

They could have easily delivered story beats if they wanted.

Its an immersive sim.

Story is just there for you to discover on your own at your own pace.

There were a lot of revelatory stuff that was delivered in first person view, without breaking immersion a la cutscenes.

As for gameplay, I just treated it as adventure stealth game. Worked so much better that way. Don't attempt fights till you get shotgun.

Personally I feel Prey was executed to perfection, as developers intended. They didn't wanted to make mass market friendly, Naughty Dog'esque slick game.

Instead, it's quirky game with lot of character.
A game doesnt have to have a billion cutscenes(or any cutscene at all) to have a compelling story.

Like I said, the opening hour or so from a story standpoint was perfect.The suspence they created, the mystery was excellent.But all that story telling, all that plot falls flat on its face the further you get in.Its not because its "an immersive sim", given that games on that sub genre mamages to have a great story and be immersive like Deus Ex, its simply because the devs dropped the ball in that regard.They focused more on the atmosphere rather than the story, and it was a bad call in my opinion, given that the premise was already great, and a more focus on the story was completely possible without altering what the game was about, and would elevate the game to new heights.

Lunarorbit

The big reveal got ruined for me when I was halfway through it. One of those, oh I'll just look up this one tip, and then some asshat plasters the ending in all caps in the message board.

Had no idea why it wasn't more successful cause even the most annoying parts (no gravity traversal areas) weren't that bad. Bummed out it's just an Xbox exclusive so Xbox owners jump on this shit!

ButchCat

Even though I did enjoy playing Prey I only made it into two-thirds of the game then stopped. What's the reason you might ask? Loading screens. Because backtracking is a big aspect of the game staring at the loading screen becomes a big aspect of the game too. Hopefully with these SSDs and some new game design changes that the sequel will fix this shit.

b0uncyfr0

As someone who always wanted to play Prey - im really looking forward to this (if it's legit). Still 4chan.. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hope this proves to be true, Prey was the first game I played this year and was a fantastic game I somehow missed when it released. The map design was great, with multiple ways to access not only the different parts of the station, but most rooms had multiple points of entry so traversal in the game was always interesting. No window could be trusted as many were fake and could be broken through with hidden passages or rooms behind them. The art design and atmosphere of the game was top-notch and something Arkane has always done so well. Everything in the environment looked like it has a purpose or helped convey they story. The game had no cutscenes breaking things up and instead used the environments to convey the story which I'll always prefer over watching a cutscene.

cl3dhZB.jpg

laBfxq6.jpg

C2QwTm3.jpg

20HooT6.jpg

92Lx88W.jpg

MGoL05R.jpg

Verchod

If true, I hope they expand on the mimic enemy. Easily my favourite enemy in the game. If you had ones that could appear as humans, that works be cool. I found the phantoms etc very uninteresting.

If true, I hope they expand on the mimic enemy. Easily my favourite enemy in the game. If you had ones that could appear as humans, that works be cool. I found the phantoms etc very uninteresting.

There was a mod that could disable the mimic notification sound whenever you were close and it made them so much more scary, especially on hardest difficulty where they could 3 shot you or something like that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just got the 2017 on the last Steam sale, so might as well play it.

I already tried it back when it came out on PS4, but that version didn't manage to grab me.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Its hard to notice sarcasm on gaf, especially without a meme next to the text or a joke/something. Sry for calling you an idiot then.
No worries man. The fact of the matter is that the absurdity of it can easily be mistaken for genuine disdain since a lot of people today are just dying to read racism into everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom