• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X|S 1TB Expansion Card owners - Gears 5 (93GB) transferred from internal to external card - less than 2 minutes.

longdi

Banned
Yea, the price is definitely a bitch. I actually paid more for this drive off Amazon than I spent for my main PC SSD off newegg.

ArJ40H7.png
BhIiAUU.png

And for the record, I get it to EASILY exceed these speeds when I give it access to just 8GB of my PC's 64GB for use as a cache.

mp600 being first gen pcie4, have problems when capacity goes up. you lose a lot of speeds. :messenger_astonished:

but the 1tb expendable drive is a master stroke by Phil. giving gamers instant expansion while helping to subsidise part of SX/SS costs.

Nand prices are expected to go up from now on. The $180 may seems 'cheap' in the mid term. Better grab 'em fast!

Last edited:

amc

Humblebrag the thread. Three, the fuck for. Especially as you're also throwing in screens of you gigabit broadband to boot.

One of them plus a big fat mechanical or eternal SSD for your obviously huge collection of games that you could download in minutes anyway.

Daft.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Hot swap is not convenient at all for those of us with our console in an entertainment center. Maybe they should have put the slot on the front.
Exactly, that was such a dumb design. If it was in the front some crazy dev could’ve even released games on tiny SSDs like cartridges.

Luckily I have it standing on a wall shelf so it’s easy to access the backside, can do it without turning it.

I also have this lil bugger for Retroarch games in the back.
TjcLluG.jpg

Yea, my Xbox is in a nice, accessible spot. If I didn't like looking at it I might actually turn it to the side to make hot swapping even easier, but I gotta see the front of the console.
Right, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to crap on XSX over one overlooked feature. I have it and a PS5 and love both, neither are without their flaws though. I kind of wish the XSX expansion could be combined into a single logical drive with the internal, but that would probably prevent any possibility of hot swapping.

Both a 2TB SATA SSD for 120€
Those expansion cards are still to expensive.

But i will buy one later in 3 years and put that external into myPC

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yea, it's definitely not a must and usually faster than downloading again. Then again, my connection speed makes it plenty possible to still beat transfer from a USB external, but if there's no need to download again I guess why bother.

NKQn37Y.png
Do you have a data cap? What does something like that run a month? Is that fiber or 5g?

Cattlyst

Am I the only one who thinks those memory expansion cards are extortionately priced? I get that they're fast etc but 200+ seems steep to me.

drotahorror

Do you have a data cap? What does something like that run a month? Is that fiber or 5g?
(not person you responded to)

I live in a really poor part of the country (USA) but our local ISP is fire and the company is extremely passionate about their infrastructure and speeds. 1Gbit (down/up) cost $150 here. 250Mb is $110. Prices are a bit too high for me so I only have 100Mb. No caps.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
3? Really op? Also op, your Twitter timeline sure its something, all the usual suspects.. Timdog included

Last edited:

Zero data cap. It's the main reason I switched from Optimum Online to Verizon Fios.

Believe it or not, the deals are insane in New York right now for this. It's literally $89 over here now with no installation fee to get it put in. It's very competitive over here between Verizon Fios, Optimum and Spectrum. Although, unfortunately due to shitty politics, some parts of new york literally aren't allowed to get Fios and are stuck with shitty Verizon DSL. Competition is great, brings prices down. When I first got it, i was paying nearly $180+ not including my cable package.

3? Really op? Also op, your Twitter timeline sure its something, all the usual suspects.. Timdog included

Well, yea, they're big xbox fans lol, and many of them such as Tim I've come across in person at Xbox fanfest at E3 multiple years, so some I genuinely call friends like the dudes from Iron Lord's podcast. Some are more hardcore than others, but all in all they just gamers who enjoy games whatever the platform. I should know since we talk about Playstation, Nintendo etc, and are looking forward to many games. Some think Returnal looks like trash, and I totally disagree and think it looks fucking amazing and fun as hell to play.

I wasn't feeling the character at first, but seeing that gameplay, enemy attack patterns, movement options and the switch blade type sword... god damn.

Humblebrag the thread. Three, the fuck for. Especially as you're also throwing in screens of you gigabit broadband to boot.

One of them plus a big fat mechanical or eternal SSD for your obviously huge collection of games that you could download in minutes anyway.

Daft.

There's only one thing faster than my gigabit connection, and it's no download time at all if the game is already installed to an SSD that can launch and play the game. I much prefer that to transferring/downloading whenever possible.

The way I plan to use these expansion cards is actually a part of the reason why I bought these cheap little plastic containers.

gOXulzP.png

mxm5Lvf.png

I use them for all kinds of miscellaneous stuff cause I hate clutter when I can just neatly keep them in containers like this. I'll label the containers each with a different expansion card, and just maintain a list via onenote on which expansion card has what games installed on it. My connection may be fast, but if I can save time by not bothering with a download at all by simply hot swapping these cards, I'll choose that. Backlog will be easily accessible and it makes on the go stuff easier, which for me is a big deal sometimes with my work sometimes. May have a kickass connection and all that, but there will be times when work has me traveling, and my connection speed at home is no longer a factor. That's when I'll be glad I have 3 of these expansion cards with all the games I want to play.

oldergamer

Looking at sales numbers, people are enjoying that límited. Options, and will enjoy more and more with time, and your soul its gonna broke in the process, sorry homie
Whatever nothing but excuses. Money on this isnt an issue for me. Its far better having the option then not having any options for expanding the internal storage

Top Bottom