• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFPD has Public Defender Arrested for Representing her Client During Questioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

A San Francisco deputy public defender [Jami Tillotson] was handcuffed and arrested at the Hall of Justice after she objected to city police officers questioning her client outside a courtroom, an incident that her office called outrageous and police officials defended as appropriate.

Other attorneys with the public defender’s office filmed the interaction, in which the plainclothes officer, Sgt. Brian Stansbury, told Tillotson, “I just want to take some pictures, OK, and he’ll be free to go.” When she declined his request, Stansbury said, “If you continue to do this, I will arrest you for resisting arrest.”
“Please do,” Tillotson responded.

Stansbury was one of three officers whose traffic stop of an off-duty black colleague in 2013 led the off-duty officer to file a federal civil rights lawsuit filed against the city. Police officials have said the officers involved had not engaged in racial profiling.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-public-defender-detained-outside-court-6046088.php

Video filmed by another public defender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qhzdxYnwhg

I can forgive the vertical switch on this one, because it sounds like she had to pretend she was on the phone to keep recording w/o getting harassed by SFPD herself.

As for the officer's actions, there is no excuse. He straight up told her that he would arrest her for resisting arrest if she didn't abandon her client. And the other officers on the scene just went along with it.

DAT THIN BLUE LINE!

benjipwns

Banned
lol at "Hall of Justice" that's the name of the building where the Michigan Supreme Court meets too, but all I can think about is like the Justice League.

I won't make any assumptions about the police thinking they can get away with it because it's just a public defender and some calls can be made.

Syriel

Well at least they arrested her nicely I guess :-/

#babysteps

Mad props to Tillotson though.

She handled the whole thing like a boss.

Quoting the CA code back to the officers, telling them what they're doing is wrong and giving them the most submissive "resisting arrest" arrest ever filmed.

SFPD ended up holding her for an hour and then releasing her without charges. I mean, why bother charging? The officer wanted her out of the way so he could question the suspects without counsel present. Objective achieved.

Guess none of those officers suspected they were on video.

Really, if you think it was bad from the quoted text, watch the video. It was posted on the official SF Public Defender's Office account. It speaks much louder than the text.

Wait.. Threatened to be arrested for resisting arrest while not being arrested, then calmly allowing them to arrest her while she is being arrested for resisting arrest?
Is that right?

Ferrio

Banned
Wait.. Threatened to be arrested for resisting arrest while not being arrested, then calmly allowing them to arrest her while she is being arrested for resisting arrest?
Is that right?

That has to be the best sentence ever because yes... that's exactly what happened.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Is that right?

They (the cops) don't know or care what they were saying. What they knew is they needed her out of the way knew an arrest was the shortest distance between to points... now just how to make that happen.

I remember the video where the cop "lost control" of the K-9 unit dog and it started mulling the suspect who peacefully complied with the officers orders and while the dog went to town on the suspect's legs and he was crying in pain and still somehow managed to not struggle since he was already restrained... the officer just kept yelling at the suspect to stop resisting.

As I said then and I'll say again here "stop resisting" seem to be a magic incantation that cops chant to invoke spells that let them get away with brutality, abuse of power, murders, etc... hell, if I wasn't convinced the officer may lose their temper, I'd love to chant it if I ever get pulled over to see if it'll work for civilians.

benjipwns

Banned
Stories of police so-called abuse always sound fishy to me, so I look to the wisdom of the people:
allboxkey Rank 1056
An attorney can't invoke for her client. If it was OK with the subject to cooperate then the action is proper.
The attorney is grand standing. I didn't see any questioning so there is no impropriety on that. Plus they are in a public area where photos can be taken with or without consent. Apachi is a master at misleading people and misstating facts, For you simple folks that means he is usually lying.
Nothing to see here, move on.
John-Spartan Rank 2889
Let's be real....Public Defender's are outraged because they are not good enough to work for private law firm or District Attorney's Office! Next
send879 Rank 55
People need to read this part of the article carefully: "for the right to counsel to apply to this situation, the officers would have to be questioning Tillotson’s client about the theft case for which she was representing him"

The policemen were questioning him on a different case. She had no right to represent him.
emilulz Rank 373
Looks like the police showed appropriate restraint after being provoked. This is a nice, balanced article by the way. Nice work finding an independent expert who to counter Adachi's non-stop BS.
lasqueti Rank 997
I can just imagine all the Tweets now....lets go block BART tomorrow, the SFPD is trampling on our rights! Want to bet the attorney's " client" (s) have long records......? The SF Public Defender's Office should be re-labeled the Public "Offender's" Office. I had to appear in court once after an illegal alien, in a stolen car, with truck full of stolen items (stereos etc), and with a teenage minor runaway in the car with him, smashed into my car while running a red light on 19th Ave. during a police chase. He totaled my car (and the one he had stolen), and I had to appear in court under orders from the District Attorney. The Public 'Defender' got the guy off because they claimed he was under duress or something like that. The Public Defender played games, tried to change court dates, etc so he would wear down the Assistant DA, and she would just drop the whole case. It was the most pathetic display I've ever seen in a courtroom, the illegal guy sitting back and smiling through the whole shenanigan, knowing he would go free and not be prosecuted. The court even had to supply a translator for him so he had his full rights ! This is what policeman and DA's put up with every day, a 'circus ' while trying to prosecute criminals, while these 'activist' Public Defenders in SF try get everyone off without penalty. In a city that reveres Kamala Harris and her 'criminals have more rights than police' philosophy its no wonder .....

Moff

I don't fully understand, was it about questioning or taking pictures?
why would they have to question him or take pictures at this point?

she handled this like a boss

Arresting a lawyer. This is going to go well for the police officer.

At least that sarcastic comment is what I'd think, but recent events have led me to believe that police are above the law.

DOWN

Banned
From the comments on the article:

As the United States Supreme Court stated in Houston v Hill (1987) 482 U. S. 451, 464:

"The freedom of individuals to oppose or challenge police action without thereby risking arrest is one of the principle characteristics by which we distinguish a free nation from a police state."

Madness

I don't understand what is happening above? The cop wants to take a picture or question him or what? Because if he wanted a picture, she cannot object to it, especially if it's in attempt of an investigation. He doesn't need to speak or do anything without an attorney present. Can someone chime in with more info about the case?

lol @ that calm "please do"

I'm surprised this didn't constitute a "dehumanizing comment" leading to a hail of gunfire and full paid administrative leave for the officer in question.

As a soon to be lawyer, these articles always remind me of the responsibility I have to the public, regardless of whether I practice criminal law or not.

msv

Stories of police so-called abuse always sound fishy to me, so I look to the wisdom of the people:
Abuse of power is now showing restraint? Can't get my head around this insanity. Downplaying the fact of cuffing, kidnapping and imprisoning someone, even for just a moment, as if it's nothing, not even worth mentioning... it's just, yeah, insanity.

DOWN

Banned
The article seems to say that the police claim they were free to take those pictures because it was unrelated to the case the lawyer was defending them in and they were not actually being questioned, thus there was no application of right to attorney in the situation with the pictures. However, the arrest was not clearly justified so there is dispute over whether there were grounds to arrest her, regardless of whether she was correct in defending her clients from a separate investigation's development.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They (the cops) don't know or care what they were saying. What they knew is they needed her out of the way knew an arrest was the shortest distance between to points... now just how to make that happen.

I remember the video where the cop "lost control" of the K-9 unit dog and it started mulling the suspect who peacefully complied with the officers orders and while the dog went to town on the suspect's legs and he was crying in pain and still somehow managed to not struggle since he was already restrained... the officer just kept yelling at the suspect to stop resisting.

As I said then and I'll say again here "stop resisting" seem to be a magic incantation that cops chant to invoke spells that let them get away with brutality, abuse of power, murders, etc... hell, if I wasn't convinced the officer may lose their temper, I'd love to chant it if I ever get pulled over to see if it'll work for civilians.

There's more than one video like that.
I think this is the most recent.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=829641690419394&set=vb.203842286332674&type=2&theater
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-k-9-maul-handcuffed-face-suspect-blames/

There was another one not too long ago where they let the dog loose on a guy for shooting video of them beating a woman.

benjipwns

Banned
Sarcasm? Those comments expose the secret plot of the Public Defenders to tear down the police and allow illegal aliens to cause traffic accidents with no consequences all because of their inferiority complex over not being real lawyers! (And someones ambitions to become Mayor.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How does one resist arrest before being arrested?

Seems like it usually happens in "contempt of cop" cases like this. My brother was arrested for resisting arrest because he was unable to answer a question cops asked him after they broke into the house he was living in.

Dryk

Do the police have any rights over normal people to take photos? Because in a normal situation they'd have the right to take the photos, but she also has the right to get in the way.

Artorias

Banned
Do the police have any rights over normal people to take photos? Because in a normal situation they'd have the right to take the photos, but she also has the right to get in the way.

I think you're probably right, but its certainly not common for a plain clothes cop to accost a suspect at a courthouse and try to question him about an unrelated crime.

Here is an excerpt from the end of the SFgate article about it:

"As for the right against self-incrimination, Aviram said the issue is whether the police interaction with the two men was a custodial interrogation, which requires officers to issue a Miranda warning informing a detainee of his or her rights.

Esparza said there are different types of detention that can range from interrogation, in which a person has a right to have an attorney present, to a casual “consensual encounter.”

“What I saw from the video was the cops asking their names and taking their pictures from angles that lead me to believe that they were putting together a lineup for another offense,” Aviram said. “Presumably they can do this, but ordinarily they wouldn’t grab you from a courtroom hallway.”

She added, “Regardless of where the constitutional disposition is, the attorney was in no way being violent or resisting arrest or being disruptive in any way. It’s extreme and it’s bad press for (the police). I’m surprised.”-SFgate

Syriel

I don't understand what is happening above? The cop wants to take a picture or question him or what? Because if he wanted a picture, she cannot object to it, especially if it's in attempt of an investigation. He doesn't need to speak or do anything without an attorney present. Can someone chime in with more info about the case?

Police have no special rights to force someone to take a photo outside of booking.

They can try to take a photo in a public place (just as anyone can), but you are always free to decline, turn away, etc.

Also key is whether or not the officer is detaining the person. If there is no detention, then you are free to go at any time or decline. If you are being detained, then you are not free to go.

The article seems to say that the police claim they were free to take those pictures because it was unrelated to the case the lawyer was defending them in and they were not actually being questioned, thus there was no application of right to attorney in the situation with the pictures. However, the arrest was not clearly justified so there is dispute over whether there were grounds to arrest her, regardless of whether she was correct in defending her clients from a separate investigation's development.

A key aspect is the fact that the video makes it clear that the police are detaining her clients. The officer starts out by saying that they are not free to go, but does not want to discuss any issues w/the attorney.

Plus, if the police were just having a "casual conversation" and not detaining her client, then there would be no official duty for her to interfere with. And if they were detaining her client for questioning...then their attorney has every right to be there and advocate for their interests.

No special rights to take photos in public.

I think you're probably right, but its certainly not common for a plain clothes cop to accost a suspect at a courthouse and try to question him about an unrelated crime.

Here is an excerpt from the end of the SFgate article about it:

"As for the right against self-incrimination, Aviram said the issue is whether the police interaction with the two men was a custodial interrogation, which requires officers to issue a Miranda warning informing a detainee of his or her rights.

Esparza said there are different types of detention that can range from interrogation, in which a person has a right to have an attorney present, to a casual “consensual encounter.”

“What I saw from the video was the cops asking their names and taking their pictures from angles that lead me to believe that they were putting together a lineup for another offense,” Aviram said. “Presumably they can do this, but ordinarily they wouldn’t grab you from a courtroom hallway.”

She added, “Regardless of where the constitutional disposition is, the attorney was in no way being violent or resisting arrest or being disruptive in any way. It’s extreme and it’s bad press for (the police). I’m surprised.”-SFgate

The incident in the video is clearly not a "consensual encounter."

The police officer makes it clear that the attorney's clients are NOT free to leave.

After she informs the officer that her clients are declining to have their photos taken, the officer has her arrested and removed and then goes on to order the men to pose and stand still for the photos, because otherwise they will turn out blurry on his camera phone.

After seeing their attorney be arrested, there is little room to argue that the men felt that they were free to leave at any time.

As for the second bolded piece, I completely agree. There is no way that this can reflect well on the department.

SFPD just handed the public defender's office the best press it could ever have. And I don't think Jami Tillotson could have handled that any better. She knew it was being filmed, she kept her cool the entire time and she gave the officer all the rope he needed to make him and his buddies look like total jerks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Those comments evoke one of the reasons why law enforcement in the US is out of control and has poor oversight: because so many Americans are self-righteous moralists who believe that even being arrested - for any reason - means a person is a "scum bag" who surely must be guilty of something.

And we wonder why prosecutors are on a power trip, there's no mass outcry against police in many places despite constant abuse.

esms

Anyone up for a flush of the system? Let's replace every internal investigations division with a civilian review board and fire every single cop in the nation regardless of wrongdoing.

Hire new ones who want to do their fucking job right.

Anyone up for a flush of the system? Let's replace every internal investigations division with a civilian review board and fire every single cop in the nation regardless of wrongdoing.

Hire new ones who want to do their fucking job right.

The police unions would like to have a chat with you, in a dark alley.

studyguy

Read about this, seems sorta unreal that she'd be arrested for basically doing her job. She was super compliant though and probably laughed all the way to the station knowing it was a farce.

WedgeX

Banned
We need to actually have penalties enshrined in some type of....amendment...for violations of the Constitution. Substantial penalties. This shit is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom