• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shōgun - Official Trailer | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai | FX

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
End of Episode 9

KRnPOx9.gif

If the hotty is hurt or killed, we riot! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Episode 10 will be a tough pill to swallow when it ends knowing most other shows are tripe.

BlackTron

So I only just now realized this existed. I'm kind of ashamed I'm excited because I'm one of those people who only made it halfway through the book years ago, and am now excited I can finish it by watching a show.

MachRc

I started watching The Netflix show called Sanctuary and I like it better than this Shogun show.

About sumo wrestling

Last edited:

Tieno

Just saw episode 9. Every episode I say and think this to myself, but my god, this show is so beautiful.
I can't quite explain it, but the way this show ebs and flows, the cadence of it, is so calming and pulls you in, it's quite something.
Every scene and frame you feel the love from everyone who made this show.
Mariko is such a beautiful character :messenger_heart:

Last edited:

Tieno

Saw the final very satisfied. Sad to see the show come to an end.
I'm quite satisfied the show final centered around Mariko's actions and death and didn't want to 'ejuculate' all over the audience with some huge battle just because that's what they think the audience wants... it's not what this series is about. Toronaga a great leader prepared to do horrible shit further his goal, sheesh.

I am reading on certain sites that there will be no season 2 and the book also ended here. This is one of those moments where I would really want Hulu to have a ‘behind the episode’ like HBO.

If that doesn’t happen, my hope is that a youtuber will breakdown this show and the book/previous show into an hour-long explanation on the ending and what we were supposed to learn from it.

I understand the general themes of
winning a conflict with as little death as possible(peaceful option) and Blackthorne finally coming to terms with his experience in Japan, changing as a person, his integration into their customs, and accepting his fate.

…But I can’t shake the feeling that this was a ‘book 1 of 2’ situation and no one really knows the harsh truth about that except for the writer.

Tieno

I am reading on certain sites that there will be no season 2 and the book also ended here. This is one of those moments where I would really want Hulu to have a ‘behind the episode’ like HBO.

If that doesn’t happen, my hope is that a youtuber will breakdown this show and the book/previous show into an hour-long explanation on the ending and what we were supposed to learn from it.

I understand the general themes of
winning a conflict with as little death as possible(peaceful option) and Blackthorne finally coming to terms with his experience in Japan, changing as a person, his integration into their customs, and accepting his fate.

…But I can’t shake the feeling that this was a ‘book 1 of 2’ situation and no one really knows the harsh truth about that except for the writer.
There's an official podcast on disneyplus and podcasts platforms, I'm actually listening to the one on episode 10 atm. Also checkout Pete Peppers (https://www.youtube.com/@PetePeppers1), he usually takes a few days with his breakdowns but I prefer him.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Saw the final very satisfied. Sad to see the show come to an end.
I'm quite satisfied the show final centered around Mariko's actions and death and didn't want to 'ejuculate' all over the audience with some huge battle just because that's what they think the audience wants... it's not what this series is about. Toronaga a great leader prepared to do horrible shit further his goal, sheesh.

I was kind of the opposite......I really wanted some clever outmanueuver battle scene, the show deserved it! Show was still 9.5/10 though, easily best show I have seen this year!

Oberstein

1x10
A much-awaited finale, and it didn't disappoint me. From the outset, the series has focused on the characters' relationship, the dialogue and the build-up between them.

The fact that we don't see the battle of Sekigahara is almost minor. Toranaga has completely overtaken his opponents, victory is assured, and there's almost no need to show more.

In fact, the only action scene that is merely exposition is in episode 3 in the forest. They have to escape, but a few katana blows don't change anything. In fact, that's the beauty of it: the rare action scenes move the story forward.

And it's all about maneuvering to stay one step ahead of your enemies. Incidentally, I might have liked an extra scene for Ochiba, who, even though we understand her purpose, seems to fade into the background, even though she was presented as the main antagonist. Except that, well, Toranaga isn't particularly sympathetic in this story. If I had one negative point to highlight, it would be the absence of color compared to the 1980 series. Okay, the costumes are much better, but I find that the overall palette is too often focused on gray/earth tones.

But that doesn't detract from the series' cinematographic craziness:

Tieno

The more I think back on this show, the more I appreciate it. I've been watching some clips and can't get over how many good actors and characters there are in this show. All so well acted, scenes and dialogue so well crafted and with so much reverence and respect.
The scene of Buntaro's sacrifice. Buntaro a very flawed husband, but great samurai. Toranaga calls out his name and gives him a legendary sign of respect, he turns to his wife but he gets no emotion from her. What an amazing scene. Gives me goosebumps. That is drama.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
I find it disturbing that the characters you have started to like enthusiastically start to cut their stomach open

excellent series though

Top Bottom