• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shame on you modern bands: BLONDIE makes the most 2014 album ever (and it's great)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

I was going thorugh my favorite music site and some name caught my attention, Blondie is streaming their new album for free. So I thought, why not give it a spin?

Blondie+-+Ghost+Of+Download.jpg

Yes, that Blondie that your parents listened when they were very young.

Blondie is releasing their 40(!) anniversary album, which has 2 discs, one dedicated to their greatst hits re-recorded (I know it's kind of weird for them to record songs for their so-called "prime" now that they are, well, old) and the results are pretty good as they are recorded as they are played live now giving them a fresh sound. It doesn't hurt that they were simply visionaries on their time.

Wait, did I say were?

Enter Ghost of Download the second disc of the compilation which consists on 12 brand new songs and a cover of the infamous "Relax" (That forbidden song of the 80's). The record is simply.. too eclectic, too surprising, too varied, too.. good? I mean, it's a band that is celebrating its 40st anniversary, they can't be that good still.

Stream it Here.

I'll try to make a track for track review for it.

- Sugar on The Side: I couldn't f**** believe it.. Blondie doing.. Reggaeton? Somebody kill me. As a latinamerican guy who has to suffer it day and night, I despise the genre, but I can't deny it's been a very important genre and its influence has permeated even anglo music. This song is make no mistake, pure reggaeton, featuring Colombian "famous band" (I've never heard of them) Systema Solar. I hate the genre yes.. but the rythm is.. infectuous. It certainly doesn't seem like they are trying to sound genuine, they understand the genre, and the musicality they add to it is interesting. I don't like reggaeton at all, but the track certainly had my attention.

- Rave (Feat. Miss Guy): This one sounds like a modern track who tries to evoke a euro 70's vibe. Not the other way. Retro beat but modern percussion, nice distorted guitar solo.Kind of straight forward, but still, good melody, good hook and Miss Guy makes a good job giving it a modern paint. Good song.

- A rose by any name (feat.Beth Ditto): The first one that I think is targeted to the US market. It's a song that Lady Gaga could had use in her Fame era slow tempo larger than life beat, electronic distortion, infectuos hook, metallic guitar interlude, Daft Punk reminiscent electronic riff. Man really,this is Blondie? but how!.

- Winter: The first featuring-less track. This is more of a rock-ballad song that sounds like Blondie from their "Panic of Girls" era (their 2007 album that was very rocky-y). The chorus hook is pretty good, very Depechemode-esqe. Straightforward song but still very high quality.

- I want to drag you around: A kind of Reggae inspired song, however it avoids the genre cliches as marimbas, that "beep, beep" harmony, and brasses. It's very modern on its composition.Very "naked song" that focuses on Debbie's voice. instantly hooker (heh) melody. Debbie's voice is a highlight of the album, she's not the same of the 70's of course, she's 68 ffs, but she still has that metallic sound.

- I screwed up (feat. los Rakas): This is a... champeta/calypso? Come on Blondie, this is'n't supposed to work, Yep, more latin rythms, this one a little more festive. This one has spanish rapping. I don't like the genre, still, the song has a good melodic line and as always it sounds very well crafted, the "solemn" acoustic guitar riff gives the song a little more of a classy touch. Not my favorite song of the album but undenieably not bad.

- Relax (the Frankie Goes to Hollywood cover, featuring Keilah Baez, Felicia Dennis And Keisha Williams): This song is very well known, so no surprise here.. other than Debbie's voice fights with far younger voices here and still goes out unscratched. This version is a piano ballad with vocal harmonies that becomes a roaring hymn at the middle with a slow solo guitar, heavy drums and choir chantings.. that change it into a daft punk sounding electronic number, with more metallic guitars and a heavy beat. This one is amazing. This second part screams "Club Anthem".

- Take Me In the Night: This one has a more resounding 90's vibe to it, it's a mid tempo pop song with a more electronic sounding chorus, like the ones you hear hipster bands doing. You can almost say taht it sounds like the quintessential Muse song.

- Make a Way: Starts with more reggaeton influences, however they are not at the forefront. The song is pure Blondie, with low verses and high and catchy, bouncy chorus, the verses has more electronic verses. The bridge has some awesome electronic daft punk esque- latin rythm that is interesting. There is a guitr solo and all. This is quite of a messy song, but it has its charm.

- Mile High: Jenniffer Lopez and the like would KILL for this song. A club electronic song, Guetta-esque, full of those infamous "oh-oh-oh" and a poisonous hook. Screams club anthem too. This one is one of the best IMO.

- Euphoria: This is more of an urban, trashy sounding song, with a distorted bass and r & b melodic line. Sounds like something from Janelle Moneae. Choirs and all. Pretty cool in that groove.

- Take it Back: This one sounds like swedish electronic music, or those DDR songs lol, very playful and bouncy, these guys really know how to make a hook. Some harmonies enter the song giving it a certainairy atmosphere, but make no mistake, this is pure bubblegum.

- Backroom: The closing track is VERY good, it reminded me of Gorillaz, the base rythm has some cumbia spice over it but there is a heavy beat that doesn't let it go to exotic territories. Full of vocal harmonies and a strong hook. Very ecclectic song that works very well. It closes the album with grace and leaves a good taste in the mouth.

So, yeah, the album is pretty good, better than any a 40 y.o. band has ever made, and combining musical influences from all the western world makes for a good musical trip.

TL;DR: Blondie's new album is one of the best of the year. And it shouldn't be. but it is.

tmarques

I bought it because I'm a huge fan and I want to contribute to Debbie's retirement fund but the album is awful. Easily their worst - at least No Exit and Panic of Girls had a few great tarcks among the rubbish, but there isn't a single good track on Ghosts.

And they even took a big dump on their catalogue - it sounds like drunk Debbie doing Blondie at a karaoke bar.

Ahasverus

Wow. You really like Blondie!
Not that much really heh. I know 4 or 5 songs from their classics, I was gifted Panic of Girls in 2009 or so and I didn't have idea who they were.. lol. It's one of my fav albums though. I've come to explore more about them but their 70's stuff is not up to my taste. I blame their production though, as the songs are good. however, I really admire them for what they did to music and, well, I have no choice and admire them for what they do now.
I bought it because I'm a huge fan and I want to contribute to Debbie's retirement fund but the album is awful. Easily their worst - at least No Exit and Panic of Girls had a few great tarcks among the rubbish, but there isn't a single good track on Ghosts.

And they even took a big dump on their catalogue - it sounds like drunk Debbie doing Blondie at a karaoke bar.
Weird, I felt the oppossite. I'm not super keen on the remake album either (especially the Tide is High sounds like she's... high) but some updates were good, like Dreamin. Her voice is certainly super different now, which I think suits their newer songs better. I love the new instrumentations though.

Dai101

Banned
So far listening "Sugar on the side"..... it's good, ITS DAMN GOOD SON!!

Let's hear the rest of the album but just for the first song it's a buy for me.

Ahasverus

So far listening "Sugar on the side"..... it's good, ITS DAMN GOOD SON!!

Let's hear the rest of the album but just for the first song it's a buy for me.

The latin sounding ones are all good. They knew what they were doing, at least they weren't Cher.

Mesoian

This relax redo is pretty good.

Ahasverus

BTW there are three bonus tracks, the first one, Put Some Color On You is pure Daft Punk (deserves to be on the album), the second Can't Stop Wanting is some high tempotrance track which is a litle confusing (Doesn't deserve to be on the album) and the third one Prism is a 90's sounding song (ballad-pop? I don't recognize this genre) with a bass beat. It kinda deserves to be in the album. Put some Color On You is the highlight.

IISANDERII

This is pretty good, refreshing. Listening to this reminds me how much I fucken hate the radio for playing the same songs repeatedly. Radio should be the ones giving us new stuff while anybody can go anywhere and put Get Lucky on repeat as they please.

slit

Debbie Harry is royalty and should be treated as such.

.....and she likes sings about men from Mars, so how can she not be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom