• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shameless Gaming Cheats

OrionNebula

Have you ever ridiculously and purposely exploited game flaws/bugs to your advantage?

I’m not talking about mods, but actual in-game design flaws you can exploit to your benefit

Spoilers, I guess

I’ve spent something like 5-10 hours abusing the Wrist in Dali and Steepled Hat in Lindblum flaw in FF9, and I am not ashamed to say so. Did it a few times, too

I’ve abused an early level up glitch in FF12 (not sure if this was fixed since the PS2 era) to beef up my team early, mostly because I hated that game and wanted to go through it all quick (didn’t work, I abandonned the whole thing anyway because the game was so utterly boring to me)

In some Resident Evil game, some weapons automatically refills when you upgrade them. I often empty those, and then upgrade so I get a cheap, free ammo refill

You?

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
On FFVI SNES cartridge: With Relm in your party you go to this dinosaur forest and if you sketch the big mobs there the game would glitch and give you a bunch of random stats at 255 and also randomly give you unique weapons and gear x 255 each.

I did that a bunch and just started throwing weaps like Ultima Weapon and Illuminas with Shadow because I had so many of them. Good times!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Medieval 2 Total War.

Open up the command prompt

Type the following

add_money 9000000

You can actually put any number in here, but go too high and you'll lose money!

Do that as many times as you want and never worry about funds again. To make things more exciting, you can also send diplomats to other factions and give them money as gifts to even the playing field.

Not enough? If you want to instantly complete a building in the queue for a settlement, type in process_cq followed by the settlement name (the settlement name is case sensitive) and boom. Whatever building was in the queue is now complete.

Bonus. Type in toggle_fow to remove the fog of war..

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Star Ocean 3: I used an auto-turbo controller to keep betting on bunny races until I had enough to buy the bunny trophy (or wherever it’s called)

Fuck that stupid game. It still took over 24 hours. I refuse to believe anybody did that the legitimate way.

Last edited:

trikster40

Mine was back in old school Everquest. There was a simple, repeatable quest in Rivervale that has you taking turnips from one NPC to another.

My friend and I created a macro “/say take turnip”, and just spammed it at the quest giver until our backpacks were full, then run like 20 feet to the NPC and turn them back in. Easy xp, and tons of copper, so much that once I actually died from falling off a 2 inch are because I was so overburdened.

We got to lvl 20 in a couple of hours, got slow after that and of course, our skills sucked, but hey, it was easy!

We actually broke that quest. They made it non-repeatable and moved the turn-in NPC to another zone.

Hitting every single shortcut (intended and not) in Hot Air Skyway (or any blue flame track) in Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled while holding blue flame and watch people DNF or rage quit. Satisfying as fuck.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Item duplication glitch in Demon's Souls. Not even that useful to finish the game really, as you can still get your ass kicked royally even with high stats. I mainly used it on my second playthrough to get the platinum, what with the random drops from the crystal lizards - and the fucking Pure Bladestone still required 3 hours of killing that blasted skeleton in 4-2.

Evil Genius 1
Didn't catch the Maid and made millions and 99 minion before the actual game started

Forza Horizon 5
Afk grinding

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
In any Soulsborne game I will do the boss fights as intended the first time, but I will shamelessly abuse the hell out of whatever cheese is available to me in subsequent playthroughs.

Ailike

Mine was back in old school Everquest. There was a simple, repeatable quest in Rivervale that has you taking turnips from one NPC to another.

My friend and I created a macro “/say take turnip”, and just spammed it at the quest giver until our backpacks were full, then run like 20 feet to the NPC and turn them back in. Easy xp, and tons of copper, so much that once I actually died from falling off a 2 inch are because I was so overburdened.

We got to lvl 20 in a couple of hours, got slow after that and of course, our skills sucked, but hey, it was easy!

We actually broke that quest. They made it non-repeatable and moved the turn-in NPC to another zone.
In Everquest during Luclin they added a new recipe where you craft cheese, and the result vendored for more than the ingredients. So for a couple days there were 50 people sitting in this building making cheese. I was one of them.

OrionNebula

On FFVI SNES cartridge: With Relm in your party you go to this dinosaur forest and if you sketch the big mobs there the game would glitch and give you a bunch of random stats at 255 and also randomly give you unique weapons and gear x 255 each.

I did that a bunch and just started throwing weaps like Ultima Weapon and Illuminas with Shadow because I had so many of them. Good times!
Huh. I never heard about that

Was it only on the original cartridge, or was that glitch ported as well in post-SNES versions?

Fbh

I used the sloth Talisman in Nioh 1 for a couple of boss fights. It's so OP it's basically cheating.

But more seriously, the first time I played Dark Souls 1 there was this easy exploit in Darkroot Garden with the forest hunter dudes where you could just lure them, then stand in a specific spot and they'd just fall down a cliff.
They gave a ton of souls relative to how early in the game you can get there.

I actually don't know if they ever fixed it.

Destiny 1 boss cheese spots and loot cave a little.

Halo BXR, BXB etc.

Destiny 2 that glitch for the Wish-Ender against yellow bar bosses. Honestly that was the best D2 ever was for me and how the Wish-Ender should have always been in PvE.

The Konami code.

NBA JAM all characters.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Item duplication glitch in Demon's Souls. Not even that useful to finish the game really, as you can still get your ass kicked royally even with high stats. I mainly used it on my second playthrough to get the platinum, what with the random drops from the crystal lizards - and the fucking Pure Bladestone still required 3 hours of killing that blasted skeleton in 4-2.
Wait. That still works? I thought they patched it

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There was a boss Mark in Final Fantasy XII, Fafnir, maybe? You fight it at the Paramina Rift. I had no choice at the level I was of beating it fairly so I kited behind a big rock that it's fat ass couldn't get past or hit me with AoE through.

I beat the WEAPON superbosses in Final Fantasy VIII with the Lionheart/Aura spam a couple of times before.

I've abused Petrify and things like that and gotten Yu Yevon to murder himself in Final Fantasy X before.

Sometimes I'll skip one of the more pain in the ass heart pieces in OoT by getting the extra one in Gerudo's Fortress.

rogr rogr

IDKFA, IDDQD every f... time.

Duping itens in Diablo (after begging for Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac online).

Vanish>Doom in FFVI.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I’ve spent something like 5-10 hours abusing the Wrist in Dali and Steepled Hat in Lindblum flaw in FF9, and I am not ashamed to say so. Did it a few times, too.
I'm convinced every person who ever played the game did this trick. 😂
And there was that other exploit where you give Steiner the HP-recovery sword during that part where he can fight endless goons and farm XP by just mashing the X button.

killatopak

Gold Member
The soul bug in Demon Souls on PS3 where you can double the amount you have by jumping off the top of the hub.

Still a hard game even with max stats especially back then cause I haven’t played anything like DeS.

OrionNebula

Medieval 2 Total War.

Open up the command prompt

Type the following

add_money 9000000

You can actually put any number in here, but go too high and you'll lose money!

Do that as many times as you want and never worry about funds again. To make things more exciting, you can also send diplomats to other factions and give them money as gifts to even the playing field.

Not enough? If you want to instantly complete a building in the queue for a settlement, type in process_cq followed by the settlement name (the settlement name is case sensitive) and boom. Whatever building was in the queue is now complete.

Bonus. Type in toggle_fow to remove the fog of war..
Interesting
But that’s more a mod than a game design flaw, isn’t it?
I wouldn’t know, as I never played Medieval 2. Is command promt a part of the in-game gameplay? Are codes often used in Medieval games?

Changing the oil before driving a brand new car for permanent HP boost
What game is that?
Don’t tell me life. Have I been missing out on a permanent HP boost all my life without knowing it?

Star Ocean 3: I used an auto-turbo controller to keep betting on bunny races until I had enough to buy the bunny trophy (or wherever it’s called)

Fuck that stupid game. It still took over 24 hours. I refuse to believe anybody did that the legitimate way.
Haha! Hilarious 😆 Was the bunny trophy worth it, at least?

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Huh. I never heard about that

Was it only on the original cartridge, or was that glitch ported as well in post-SNES versions?
TBH I am not sure as I haven't played on the cart in a while (it was a rental back when I was in HS) but I did spend some to get another cart from eBay last year so I'll give it a shot when I get to that point.

Not sure if it still exists on the ports.

EDIT: Ok actually found the bug! This is hilarious!

Relm Sketch Bug

I did lose some stuff but who cares, I get to equip everyone with Genji Gloves!

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Using that stone column in Uncharted 2's last boss area to clamber around it, avoiding Lazarevic easily and occasionally popping up to shoot that glowing fungus stuff when he was next to it.

OrionNebula

TBH I am not sure as I haven't played on the cart in a while (it was a rental back when I was in HS) but I did spend some to get another cart from eBay last year so I'll give it a shot when I get to that point.

Not sure if it still exists on the ports.

EDIT: Ok actually found the bug! This is hilarious!

Relm Sketch Bug

I did lose some stuff but who cares, I get to equip everyone with Genji Gloves!
Oh wow. That’s one hell of a bug 😳
Had no idea
Funny, they even patched the SNES version at some point. I wonder how many version 1.0 actually went in circulation before it got caught
👍

I skip the cherry bombs at the end of A Boy and His Blob by rolling the coconut past all the screen, obviously.
Not gonna lie, I know absolutely nothing about ABAHB.
So when I read that, I was like ‘’skip the cherry bombs by rolling the coconut past all the screen??? Wtf???’’ 😆
I’ll have to look it up 🙂👍

Hitting every single shortcut (intended and not) in Hot Air Skyway (or any blue flame track) in Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled while holding blue flame and watch people DNF or rage quit. Satisfying as fuck.
Sounds like it is 😆👍

Yes, money and XP. Just Look at YouTube for instructions.
I tried typing this in youtube. What came up is American Truck Simulator so I will assume this is what you were referring to

I tried typing this in youtube. What came up is American Truck Simulator so I will assume this is what you were referring to
Lol, what? Truck Simulator? Just look for "horza forza 5 afk money" The RT button can be blocked with a coin or a rubber band.
For example:

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
What game is that?
Don’t tell me life. Have I been missing out on a permanent HP boost all my life without knowing it?
Gran Turismo series, HP is horse power. In the later games (4-6?) The boost isn't permanent, but still there for 20k miles or so I think.

Kupfer

8ftJgET.png

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Orlog God Mode

Final Fantasy VII
W-Item item duplication

Final Fantasy IX
Wrist/Steepled Hat easy money
Steiner/Marco Bloodsword Max level

Forza Horizon 5
AFK money/XP

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Haha! Hilarious 😆 Was the bunny trophy worth it, at least?
It’s apparently the best accessory in the game. What I didn’t realize is it still requires a lot more crafting in order to fill out its attributes. Dunno if it was worth it as I quit that horrible game shortly after.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
In the original NBA 2k for Dreamcast if your 3pt shot was good enough you could hit full court shots at the buzzer 100% of the time.

I made a stick figure character named JT Fuccemup that was damn near invisible to the computer's defense and would hit 4 three point buzzer beaters per game. I never lost a game to the computer.

Top Bottom