• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally got around to setting up GFN on my tv..,,,,

Jesb

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while but free memberships were capped. It finally opened up again so set it up last night on my newly purchased tv via the app. I am disappointed with this and I’m not sure this is worth a paid membership.

• A lot of gamepass games are not on this, alot of my steam games also missing.
  • There’s a problem with starting a session if your previous session crashed. Says previous session needs to be closed first and stays on this screen for a long time. I even forced closed app and uninstalled app and the issue was still there.
  • You have to log into your gamepass or steam everytime you launch a game. This is ridiculous. Especially if you’re on a tv using this.
  • If I’m understanding this right I need a Shieldtv device in order to stream in 4K? Which adds a few hundred dollars more to cost.

I’m seeing a lot of praise for this service but came away disappointed. I didn’t even get to try it yet. Was frustrated with it asking me to log in every time and said fuck it.

SenkiDala

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while but free memberships were capped. It finally opened up again so set it up last night on my newly purchased tv via the app. I am disappointed with this and I’m not sure this is worth a paid membership.

• There’s a problem with starting a session if your previous session crashed. Says previous session needs to be closed first and stays on this screen for a long time. I even forced closed app and uninstalled app and the issue was still there.
  • You have to log into your gamepass or steam everytime you launch a game. This is ridiculous. Especially if you’re on a tv using this.
  • If I’m understanding this right I need a Shieldtv device in order to stream in 4K? Which adds a few hundred dollars more to cost.

I’m seeing a lot of praise for this service but came away disappointed. I didn’t even get to try it yet. Was frustrated with it asking me to log in every time and said fuck it.
On my TV (LGC1) I never had to log again to GPU or Steam to access games. But yeah why I just took 1 month and not more is because less than 20% of my Steam library is available... :(

The praise it gets from my understanding is how it performs, the available library available is kinda determined by the platform holders. I can say that I think it's fantastic in how well it works, and the Nvidia Shield is still the best streaming box even 5 years later from it's release. But I don't use it as it just doesn't make sense for my setup to stream my games when I can easily stream them from my PC to my Shield with Moonlight. Still, it's a great way to play the games on offer if you have no alternatives.

Jesb

The praise it gets from my understanding is how it performs, the available library available is kinda determined by the platform holders. I can say that I think it's fantastic in how well it works, and the Nvidia Shield is still the best streaming box even 5 years later from it's release. But I don't use it as it just doesn't make sense for my setup to stream my games when I can easily stream them from my PC to my Shield with Moonlight. Still, it's a great way to play the games on offer if you have no alternatives.

So do all tv’s need a streaming device to stream 4K. I can’t do 4K streaming without a shield device or something similar? I don’t get why not all gamepass is on there. Why is it half assed on here. I thought Microsoft wanted it on all devices. So what they want it on other devices but not all their games?

So do all tv’s need a streaming device to stream 4K. I can’t do 4K streaming without a shield device or something similar? I don’t get why not all gamepass is on there. Why is it half assed on here. I thought Microsoft wanted it on all devices. So what they want it on other devices but not all their games?
I couldn't say. I have a shield and don't use gamepass. Really all I could talk about is performance itself, which is very good presuming you have a decent to good internet connection.

Jesb

I'm gonna give this a go and try out a paid membership and see how it goes. Found a good deal on a Xbox elite core controller, so gonna dive into soon. Is there any type of work around for having to log into steam and gamepass everytime though?

Last edited:

phant0m

Hey, big GFN user here so let me clarify some things for you:

• Publishers choose to make their games available on the service or not. This goes for GamePass and Steam — you don’t just get your whole library. A bummer but it’s always been that way.
  • Yeah the starting a new session thing after crashing is annoying. You just gotta wait the 90 seconds or whatever
  • I don’t have to login every time? GFN has my steam credentials cached. Maybe contact support on that one?
  • The you can stream in 4K on ShieldTV or PC/Mac. The TV apps only support 1080p. You also need Ultimate anyway. Free accounts and priority cannot do 4K.

EDIT: see here on saving creds:

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I think MS want gamepass on every device not every gamepass game on a rival platform.

Jesb

Hey, big GFN user here so let me clarify some things for you:

• Publishers choose to make their games available on the service or not. This goes for GamePass and Steam — you don’t just get your whole library. A bummer but it’s always been that way.
  • Yeah the starting a new session thing after crashing is annoying. You just gotta wait the 90 seconds or whatever
  • I don’t have to login every time? GFN has my steam credentials cached. Maybe contact support on that one?
  • The you can stream in 4K on ShieldTV or PC/Mac. The TV apps only support 1080p. You also need Ultimate anyway. Free accounts and priority cannot do 4K.

EDIT: see here on saving creds:

Thanks for the info. The shield tv pro goes for around $260 here. Pretty expensive just to add 4K streaming ability. Any idea if cheaper options are still reliable just to play games in 4K?

Jesb

I am absolutely loving this now. I’m on the ultimate tier and I bought the shield tv device so loving playing games in 4K. I can totally see this as all I need for gaming if the library eventually gets most games. There is a lot missing right now but there’s still plenty to play.

My biggest issue is my connection is a little laggy. I don’t get a solid 3-4 bars on most of my session. And sometimes get warnings of big packet losses. The GeForce connection test tells me I have 75mbps but my latency is at around 13. I tried opening up ports on modem but that didn’t do anything. It’s not bad on most games but on a fast paced game like doom it can be hard to play.

Top Bottom