• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei series character designer Kazuma Kaneko leaves ATLUS after 35 years, joins COLOPL

Kaneko-ATLUS-COLOPL_04-22-24-768x432.jpg

Source - Gematsu

Kazuma Kaneko, who is known for his character and demon designs across the Megami Tensei series, left ATLUS in 2023 after 35 years and has joined COLOPL to develop a new intellectual property.

The news comes via a newly published creator interview with Kaneko, in which it is revealed that the new project is an original title that depicts a worldview created by Kaneko, and that the “game experience” will incorporate the latest technology.

Actual details about the title were not revealed, as it is still in development.

New Interview via Persona Central:​

Mobile video game publisher and developer COLOPL has published an article announcing that “Demon Artist” Kazuma Kaneko has left Atlus and joined the team in 2023, having worked for the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series since 1988 designing several iconic demon/persona designs for the series and characters.

COLOPL states that he is working on developing a new IP with the company, using the knowledge and experience he has gained thus far.

A new interview has also been published, with Kazuma Kaneko and COLOPL manager Keisuke Furuyama. An older interview with Kazuma Kaneko about the first Persona game from 1996 can be read here.

Creating a New IP within COLOPL​

First, please tell us about your career history until now.

Kaneko:
I started out as an animator, and in 1988, I joined Atlus and began designing characters and demons for the “Shin Megami Tensei” series, starting from the concept stage.

Were you always good at drawing?

Kaneko:
Yes. My school teacher used to submit my drawings to contests without my knowledge, and I was often awarded. So, I was proud of my skills in drawing. Since my family was poor, I was a bit of a troublemaker in my student days, but at one point, I thought, “This won’t do!” and decided to become an animator as a profession. I worked as a subcontractor for a production company, continuously drawing pictures and contributing as an animator to various works. Since I often had to draw scenes with extraordinary movements, my drawing skills naturally improved.

So, you joined Atlus after honing your skills.

Kaneko:
That’s right. I’ve always liked games, especially RPGs because they offer more playtime compared to action or shooting games for the same price. At that time, I played “Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei” and fell in love with it, so I wanted to create something like that myself. Perhaps some of you might have the image of me as an illustrator, but I was involved in the “Shin Megami Tensei” series from the conceptual stage, including the world-building.

How did you come to join COLOPL?

Kaneko:
The catalyst itself was a referral from a job agent. I was looking for a place where I could utilize my experiences, including failures, and when I found a place where we could plan and release games from scratch, it felt like a perfect match for my work. Since I’m good at creating IP from scratch, it seemed like a good fit.

Furuyama: From our generation’s perspective, Kaneko-san is truly a legendary figure. I myself love the games he has created. So, when I heard that Kaneko-san was actively looking for a job, I was surprised.

Kaneko: During my job search, I was told by people from various companies, “Are you for real?!” (laughs).

Furuyama: In no way did I expect Kazuma Kaneko to be using a job agent to find work (laughs). However, once we realized he was genuine, we were eager to work with him, so we quickly prepared a plan while consulting with our colleagues.

Building a New Project Based on Kaneko’s Worldview​

How is the new project progressing at the moment?”

Kaneko:
I can’t go into too much detail, but we are working hard on creating an original IP.

Furuyama: We are still in the development stage, but Kaneko-san has drawn several characters for us, and we are testing various things with them.

Kaneko: I was amazed at how quickly things are coming together. We communicate nuances back and forth, and somehow it takes shape.

Furuyama: The game mock-up itself was created in about 1-2 weeks. But still, there’s a long way to go.

What are the objectives of the project?

Furuyama:
The project has two main purposes. One is to express Kazuma Kaneko’s worldview through an original IP. The other is to incorporate the latest technology as part of the gaming experience. We aim to utilize these technologies to offer new experiences to users.

Could you share your thoughts on incorporating new technology?

Furuyama:
Trying game development with new technology is exciting. However, it comes with challenges. Sometimes, the technology isn’t up to date, and there are moral issues to consider. Also, simply introducing new technology doesn’t guarantee whether it will be genuinely fun or not. We are always thinking about how to make something enjoyable for our users.

It’s challenging, but it’s also the most rewarding aspect and a fundamental part of entertainment in gaming. If we can overcome these challenges and users say “This is fun!” when they get their hands on the game, that would be the best feeling.

What feelings are driving Kaneko-san in this project?

Kaneko:
Since we don’t yet have a clear picture of the game’s final form, I focused on creating a solid IP first. We’ve been brainstorming concepts like the story and the world, and from here, it could be turned into an RPG, an anime, or even a novel.

Furuyama: It feels like constructing an entire world on its own.

How did you feel about Kaneko-san’s approach to creating IPs?

Furuyama:
As a planner, I review scenarios and world-building materials from various people. However, the materials Kaneko-san initially provided had no discrepancies or incongruities whatsoever. Everything had a reason, and on top of that, it was genuinely interesting. Without sugarcoating it, I felt like I was looking at the work of someone who has created numerous worldviews and characters over the years.

Kaneko: Thank you.

Furuyama: The more I read, the more intrigued I became… The proposals and materials were concise, with clear answers to the questions I had. It was convincing and very easy to read.

Kaneko: I think it’s because I’m used to the criticisms that arise when making games, such as why a character is like this or why an item is necessary. It’s like preemptively addressing them. However, personally, my challenge is to make the text shorter. Short sentences are crucial.

A Structure Allowing Teams to Focus on their Work​

What were your thoughts when you joined COLOPL?

Kaneko:
In terms of people, working hours, and the atmosphere within the company, it’s very clean. Communication is easy, there’s no unnecessary competition or people arguing. We all have the same goal, and we engage in constructive discussions. For example, it’s very helpful when they think along with us and say, “How about this?” in response to our proposals.

Furuyama: As someone who joined the company mid-career, I was initially surprised by the culture of actively sharing opinions regardless of your role. It was refreshing to have designers and engineers give feedback like, “This would be more fun,” or “That’s not interesting.” By communicating in this way, everyone is sincerely engaged with the project.

Kaneko: That’s right. Also, it’s not like my opinion is taken as the absolute truth; there are exchanges like, “How about this idea?” I’m happy about that. Of course, the ease of internal communication is important, but it’s also helpful that if there’s something I want to discuss, there are actual appointments, like asking, “Can you spare some time later?” It’s good to have a meeting space provided within the company, and the other person’s schedule is considered, so the environment is set up so that the staff can concentrate.

What kind of people would you like to work with?

Kaneko:
As mentioned earlier, it would be people who can engage in constructive discussions and is straightforward about things, people I can work with on a human level. In terms of skills, someone who can utilize new technologies that will emerge in the future. However, technological advancements are constantly evolving, so someday, even that might not be necessary. Considering that, it would be good to have someone who can effectively incorporate them and put them into practice.

Please give a message for possible candidates.

Furuyama
: At COLOPL, our vision is to “deliver new experiences through cutting-edge technology and innovative ideas.” However, our company is not solely defined by this philosophy; it’s the fertile ground upon which our company is built. That’s why I believe we’re a company that earnestly engages in craftsmanship. We’re looking for individuals who are passionate about delivering new experiences and who can get excited about working together.

Kaneko: I’m looking forward to working with you on this project. The employees at COLOPL are not simply ambitious; they are incredibly genuine, polite, and yet they approach games like craftsmen. Even after joining the company, I often find myself thinking, “Wow, this person is amazing…” Most importantly, they provide ample support, so I encourage you to challenge yourself without any worries.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Overreaction much? I love his work but he hasn’t worked anything since forever…..before this news I thought he retired.
I don’t know if it’s an overreaction. Just a thought that popped up in my mind. Some folks like to jump ship before major changes. Usually it’s because they’re given the option to leave than being kicked out. I don’t care either way. Just making conversation.

I wonder what took him so long? As far as I know he hasn't done anything substantical for at least 10 years. According to some SMT bloggers I read a few years ago, he got "promoted" to a "window seat" position where he's just there and doesn't do much. I guess something must have happened between him and the higher-ups around the time Strange Journey was done and before development for SMT IV fully started.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
He has basically been asleep since Strange Journey hasn't he? The god awful boss designs in IV were the start of the new wave for demon art.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
He has basically been asleep since Strange Journey hasn't he? The god awful boss designs in IV were the start of the new wave for demon art.
If I'm not mistaken he worked on SMT IV too, but this time as "scenario writter".

Apparently he wrote a LOT of stuff for that game and Atlus ended up using only a small fraction of it. At least that's what I've read on the internet and I could be wrong but, if I'm not, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the beggining of the end of their relationship.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
the next generation of gaming will be ruled by the woke ones.
Except none of Atlus game are “woke”.

Just look new demons in SMT5, if that’s “woke” then I no longer understand what word means.

IAmRei

He is my inspiration, one of the first beside Akira Toriyama and Yoshitaka Amano, for me he like the best. But unfortunately, the time is different and the fate is not for me to complaint at. This news sadden me. And i might lost to SMT, because for me, He is the SMT... Goodbye teacher...

consoul

Absolute king.
I assumed he had retired years ago. His SMT work is unparalleled.

It'll be interesting to see his new artwork, though the game itself may not be anything to get excited about.

Madonis

Except none of Atlus game are “woke”.

Just look new demons in SMT5, if that’s “woke” then I no longer understand what word means.

I saw someone calling a Japanese anime, which hasn't even been released, "woke" the other day, purely because of what company had licensed it.

Thus the word and of itself means both everything *and* nothing these days. Useless as practical terminology.

As for the main topic, I wish him well...but I hope his ideas are given proper treatment by a good team with the necessary skills, which is hard to say right now.

Top Bottom