• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

smt-5-vengeance-1200x675.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jun 14, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jun 14, 2024)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jun 14, 2024)
  • PC (Jun 14, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Jun 14, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jun 14, 2024)
Trailers:

Developer: ATLUS

Publisher: SEGA

Critic Reviews​

COGconnected - Nicola Kapron - 90 / 100

Quote not yet available

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 9.5 / 10

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance shines even brighter than before with a more involved new storyline, QoL improvements, and tons of content, this is the definitive way to experience this RPG.

GamingTrend - David Flynn - 95 / 100

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance is the definitive way to experience SMTV. The new story is much more interesting and makes a perfect entry point for Persona fans, though it does miss out on some important plot points. The tweaks to combat make things feel that much tighter and strategic. With new bosses that even veterans will struggle with, Vengeance feels like an entirely new game.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 9.5 / 10

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance is an absolutely wonderful RPG, with loads of new features that you'd be foolish to miss.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 90 / 100

Shin Megami Tensei V back in 2021 was an epic JRPG that really needed a better core story (or a superior method of telling it) and better hardware to run, along with some interface tweaks. The Vengeance revamp fixes all of that and adds in a lot more, making this entry the definitive version of an already-stellar post-apocalyptic demon-summoning Nahobino-ing experience.
With a lovingly crafted world with warranted upgrades, a huge cast of powerhouses to summon and recruit for your uber-demon army, a banging soundtrack with more awesome aural extras added, and a better framerate for the overall graphical experience, this is one literal hell of an adventure to dive into.

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 9 / 10

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance is a stellar example of an enhanced re-release done right. Its comprehensive approach to improving the story and various gameplay systems of the original release makes for an experience that's even more engrossing than the already excellent original game. Though we were disappointed by the lack of any performance gains here, Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance is still an extremely easy recommendation for any RPG fans. Some may consider SMT to be "Persona without the heart," but SMT V: V cleanly demonstrates that this old Atlus stalwart still has an abundance of fantastic gameplay and unique appeal.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Quote not yet available

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If the improvements they've made to the base game are as good as they sound, this will most probably be the best mainline entry or even best entry in the series overall.

Can't wait for this Friday!

I think I need this. My first SMT game. I completed p3r few days ago and feel empty inside...
Do it! I started with Persona too, but mainline SMT is what really got me hooked.

Indeed we do!

3f8f7781e970f324ad93e5e8478c573c.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What's different? I can't click through to the reviews currently.
Some QOL improvements, like being able to save anywhere and teleport, reducing padding.
Also, the level you had factored into the damage you would do, which kinda sucks since that would mean you would face some "level checks" which you would most probably fail no matter your skill as a player. They said this has been removed or at least made it way less noticeable.

But for me, most importantly, is the new route which seems to have a much more developed story. The base game had a barebones one which felt rushed more than a few times.

Kazdane

Gold Member
92?? Oh my goodness. I was in the camp of "I guess I'll try this at some point because I like Persona 4 and 5" (I'm aware SMT is lighter on story, etc). Now I'm on the camp of "I HAVE to play it"

Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

nikos

Bought the first release on Switch but barely played it.

Think I'll double dip on PC, especially if there's a decent ultrawide mod or Steam Deck performance is good.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Just caved and preordered for Switch.
What won me over was that it apparently contains all the major DLC which i never bought, so it feels less like double dipping.

Last edited:

Croga

For anyone like me curious about Steam Deck performance, this reviewer played it almost exclusively on Deck and gave it a glowing report:

I've always thought SMTV was an okish JRPG with some issues that hold it back like the awful framerate and heavy emphasis on levels. I'm glad these issues are being fixed in Vengeance. And the story looks more like a proper JRPG adventure with more character development and a central villain squad this time around. Day 1.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished the original SMTV on Switch. I’m curious to see all these QOL improvements. It took some grinding towards the end, so any new tweaks are more than welcome.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Reviews aren't really saying which story newcomers should take.....the original or the new one. Any thoughts?
I suggest just jump in to Canon of Vengeance, it seems has much better story and character development than original story.

And if you curious then later on you can just do Canon of Creation (original story) on 2nd playthrough.

Bkdk

Banned
Glad to see the game is finally complete and can be played on the PC! Hopefully modders will bless this with nude and costume mods for the female demons.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

and that is why atlus will continue this shitty "complete edition"practice lol
They did with Nocturne as well, that game had 3 versions....the only difference is in west we got the Maniax version but Original Nocturne and Chronicles never made it outside of Japan.

Draugoth

Gold Member
TintoConCasera TintoConCasera Thinking of getting this, is this game as easy as Persona 5 Royal and 3 Reload? I know the past entries are hard and i suck at JRPGs, otherwise i wil lsave my money for Wukong

Last edited:
I suggest just jump in to Canon of Vengeance, it seems has much better story and character development than original story.

And if you curious then later on you can just do Canon of Creation (original story) on 2nd playthrough.

I'm more confused now. These two stories are the same or not? I get that Vengeance is the new improved one but is creation the same exact story without the improved stuff or are they completely;y different stories, different characters/world/protag/etc.?

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I'm more confused now. These two stories are the same or not? I get that Vengeance is the new improved one but is creation the same exact story without the improved stuff or are they completely;y different stories, different characters/world/protag/etc.?
i understood it as two stories. One is the original, the 2nd is like dlc. Completely new and unreleased.

Danjin44

TintoConCasera TintoConCasera Thinking of getting this, is this game as easy as Persona 5 Royal and 3 Reload? I know the past entries are hard and i suck at JRPGs, otherwise i wil lsave my money for Wukong
SMTV is much harder games that P5Royal P3Reload but you also have multiple difficulties to choose from, just play on normal or even easy if you want.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Never played the original, for those who have, a quick question or two.

Will it be easy to distinguish if I'm headed towards the original path or the new story path?
Which would be the better route to go for the first time players, is it one of those cases where the new one would make sense if you're already familiar with the "original" path?

Danjin44

Will it be easy to distinguish if I'm headed towards the original path or the new story path?

Thats Yoko (the new character) If you take her hand you go to Canon of Vengeance path and you dont you got to Canon of Creation (original story).

Which would be the better route to go for the first time players, is it one of those cases where the new one would make sense if you're already familiar with the "original" path?
I would say just jump in Canon of Vengeance and if curious you late go thorough second time in Canon Creation.

Top Bottom