• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei Vengeance releases June 14th 2024 [Multiplatform]

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm in love with these designs! They are gorgeous and yet freaky at the same time.
Sazk3RR.png

Remember to use JP voices to sound amazing. I look forward to naming the Protag BLUE GRIFFITH accordingly.

ENG: Little boy in school

JP: Demon King

Game is amazing (well smt5 on switch), but what is so great about voices in a different language you don't understand? That takes me out of the experience, especially in video games. It sucks as there is a number of Koei warriors games I have skipped for this reason alone. As they don't dub them anymore. Same with Yakuza, I play them, as they were free or cheap, but wish there was a dub.

It wouldn't be a big deal if games didn't have voice acting, like in the ps1 and prior eras.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game is amazing (well smt5 on switch), but what is so great about voices in a different language you don't understand? That takes me out of the experience, especially in video games. It sucks as there is a number of Koei warriors games I have skipped for this reason alone. As they don't dub them anymore. Same with Yakuza, I play them, as they were free or cheap, but wish there was a dub.

It wouldn't be a big deal if games didn't have voice acting, like in the ps1 and prior eras.
K.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
GAF this has me hyped but reality check me:

Persona 3 I didn’t make it 20 hours.

SMT Nocturne I made it 25 hours or more? But fell off.

I love P4&5.

Will I like this game?

Last edited:

Danjin44

SMT Nocturne I made it 25 hours or more? But fell off.
Why? If you didn't liked Nocturne then I highly doubt you will like this game...both share same design philology.

If you enjoyed P4&5 for character bonding then you get NONE in SMTV.

Last edited:

Arsic

Why? If you didn't liked Nocturne then I highly doubt you will like this game...both share same design philology.

If you enjoyed P4&5 for character bonding then get NONE in SMTV.
How is this games pacing and story telling?

Combat is always enjoyable in Altus games.

The pacing and drip feed nature kills P3&Nocturne for me.

Danjin44

How is this games pacing and story telling?

Combat is always enjoyable in Altus games.

Very similar to Nocturne, most of the time you are alone exploring, fusing and fighting and you get story cutscenes in between.

Arsic

Very similar to Nocturne, most of the time you are alone exploring, fusing and fighting and you get story cutscenes in between.
That’s better than P3 IMO.

Will watch some reviews to see if I should take the leap.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
FINALLY. I held off on SMT V all this time because I was waiting for this announcement... it was supposed to come out in like late 2022, last time I talked to the people upstairs.

Anyway, I can't wait. I've wanted to play the game for so long, but without the Switch's performance.

This game will definitely be nominated for Jrpg of the year. May not win. But will be nominated.

I wonder if they add an “easy” mode for this game. Casual could even get tough on SMT V.

Danjin44

Its Seems at beginning of the game you can choose between the two story.
07XXxag.png

One is "Canon of Creation" (story from the original release) and "Canon of Vengeance" (which is the new story).

This actually REALY, REALLY good idea. People complained in Persona 5 Royal that they have to replay whole old story again before accessing the new story but here you can just choose the new story if you already played original release.

Also I dont know why I didn't notice this before thats Lilith's new design!
sec2_chara_img_568bf7d99c7a7dcb34fbef5420a16115.png
5GRfxGv.png

F31 Leopard

Only 3 demon transfer? Hard to choose but I have to go with my main party throughout SMTV Vanilla and who I used to defeat
Shiva

Last edited:

Bkdk

So with this additional chapter smt5 will likely take 60 hours to complete on average, with p3r, smt 5V and metaphor, the total playtime is likely at least 180 hours, that's insane, p3r's the answer dlc might come out this year will likely add 20 hours to p3r's playtime. Wonder how many good and attractive looking female char, demons designs in total for all these games combined, would be hard to count!

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Obviously don't know anything about the new scenario, but unless they've made big changes to the main game you're not going to like it. If Nocturne moved too slowly for you this is going to be torture.

Danjin44

Won't that make the game extra easy for you guys?
I guessing by saving it means it goes demon compendium and if you want summon high level demon from compendium it takes lot of Macca to do so.

I’m getting PS5 version, so I won’t be transferring any my demon from Switch copy.

Kurotri

My very first SMT game. After I had gotten into Persona I found out that it was actually born from another series: Shin Megami Tensei. Then I found out about SMTV being a thing and I was following its marketing very closely. The music completely and utterly enthralled me. I have no idea what SMT veterans think of it, but the OST of SMTV is incredible for me. I especially love the main theme. It had my mind going through so many trains of thoughts just imagining what the game could be about. Unfortunately I found nothing of the sort in the game, and what was in the game wasn't any good by itself either.

I'm not saying that SMT needs to become Persona. But damn, there's a treasure trove of amazing concepts that the game brings to the table in such a unique way but it doesn't do jackshit with them. The gameplay, the world design, the atmosphere and art direction are TOP NOTCH. Genuinely. But it not having a proper plot and characters leaves an incredibly big hole in the overall experience for me. I later found out that SMT as a series in general doesn't really focus on narrative all that much, but even then SMTV is very lacklustre in that department. After a while my interest plummeted and I felt no desire to play any further. Think I stopped pretty close to the ending anyway though.

This re-release intrigues me because this game has unbelievable potential. I hope this second route actually does have some massive re-writes. If it's just another barebones story that just leaves me unfulfilled I cannot bring myself to pick this one up.

Danjin44

I mean, I get that they want to market this but I feel they should give the spotlight to Unicorn Overlord right now...
I agree, I feel like Unicorn Overlord is going to severally overlooked…. It’s 13 Sentinels all over again.

Hudo

I agree, I feel like Unicorn Overlord is going to severally overlooked…. It’s 13 Sentinels all over again.
Exactly. It doesn't help that Vanillaware are more on the niche side of things, so they already are bound to be overlooked. And that's a fucking shame because their games are really good.

Top Bottom