• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V ‘Complete Edition’ announcement teased by notable Chinese leaker

Draugoth

Gold Member
Diandong Langke Lu Xun, a user on the Chinese forum A9VG known for their cryptic, PlayStation-related leaks, teased the upcoming announcement of a Shin Megami Tensei V “Complete Edition” in a June 16 post.

Xun has previously correctly teased several announcements, including the announcement of Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon‘s release date (via); the announcement of Hayarigami 1-2-3 Pack (via); the release date of “New Game+” for God of War Ragnarok (via); the announcement of Monster Hunter Rise for PlayStation, Xbox, and Windows (via); the release date of Final Fantasy XVI‘s “Ambition” trailer (via); the date of Silent Hill Transmission (via); and many more.

On June 16, Xun posted a GIF containing the following two frames:

SMTV-CE-Leak_06-19-23_001-480x292.png
SMTV-CE-Leak_06-19-23_002-480x292.jpg
SMTV-CE-Leak_06-19-23_003-1024x576.jpg

The red text covering the screen in the second frame reads “Complete Edition” in Japanese, in the style of the “Sugu ni Kese” (“Turn It Off Now”) “glitch” of the original Shin Megami Tensei.

Rush2112

Banned
funny i bought this game on switch last night. I like the muted, dark setting and music. it totally makes me feel like Im a character inside death note.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Personally I thought SMTIV was a far superior game to V, but I did enjoy parts of V. Felt a tad slow and repetitive though. Combat system is amazing, but it can only stave off repetition for so long, especially when there is a lack of any great level design or narrative to propel the player.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Personally I thought SMTIV was a far superior game to V, but I did enjoy parts of V. Felt a tad slow and repetitive though. Combat system is amazing, but it can only stave off repetition for so long, especially when there is a lack of any great level design or narrative to propel the player.
4 was better, but 5 is still great.

4 remake should be announced in the next year.

Last edited:
Ohh fuck yes. I only played it once with neutral ending and have been holding off. Love the game but it can do with some improvements and added challenge.

Already have it on Switch and was planning on buying the DLC for my next playthrough. If it comes to pc I will buy it there too. It got a lot of hate but it's such a fun game.

Will get the physical edition this time if we get one for PS4/PS5. Totally forgot about the Demi Fiend DLC, so that will be worth it for me for a 2nd playthrough.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
So how is this one compared to Nocturne and IV ?
The game dropped and went real quiet.
Takes some of the gameplay improvements from IV and Apocalypse, but even as someone who is a big fan of the minimalist storytelling in Nocturne, it's badly under-written. Amazing game but the story is barely there.

I already played this to death, and picked up all the DLC. If they add more to it I'll pick this up on PS4.

So who wants to buy my Switch copy? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I won't be selling my copy. It's a great game to play on Switch. If it comes to PC i'll buy it again for that but don't see why I would sell my Switch copy.
I honestly wish I just waited for this version this time.
The "Complete" edition is probably going to be the game with DLC bundled. If the game comes to other platforms then yeah I get it if you're pissed that they'll have better graphics/performance but let's be honest....it's not the best looking game and you don't really need high fps as it's a turn based game.

SMTV is only really worth it if you like the combat. It lacks in pretty much everything else that make the other SMT games special.
I've not played any other main SMT games so can't compare them. I quite enjoyed SMTV. Loved the combat and world exploration. The story was nothing special but seems like this isn't the kind of game you play for story. Just like how I don't play Souls/Diablo games for the story. They are secondary and the real fun is in the gameplay.

Last edited:
I won't be selling my copy. It's a great game to play on Switch. If it comes to PC i'll buy it again for that but don't see why I would sell my Switch copy.

The "Complete" edition is probably going to be the game with DLC bundled. If the game comes to other platforms then yeah I get it if you're pissed that they'll have better graphics/performance but let's be honest....it's not the best looking game and you don't really need high fps as it's a turn based game.

I've not played any other main SMT games so can't compare them. I quite enjoyed SMTV. Loved the combat and world exploration. The story was nothing special but seems like this isn't the kind of game you play for story. Just like how I don't play Souls/Diablo games for the story. They are secondary and the real fun is in the gameplay.
SMTV feels like a rushed game. I'm hoping for some decent improvements in not only the performance and visuals but also in the content. I love the game, like I said regardless, the combat carried it for me. Doesn't take away from the fact that the original release doesn't feel like a complete game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's pretty different. It goes for more of an open zone structure, (almost) completely ditching the map-based overworked for four large open world type levels. So it has a much bigger exploration element which is a lot of fun, and the combat and party building/demon fusion stuff is the best it's ever been.

What it doesn't have as much of is story and heavy narrative choice. And while it has a few pretty sizable dungeons, there's less dungeon crawling overall.

I enjoyed it and recommend it, but it's not just a gussied up Nocturne and don't expect it to be.

Puscifer

SMTV feels like a rushed game. I'm hoping for some decent improvements in not only the performance and visuals but also in the content. I love the game, like I said regardless, the combat carried it for me. Doesn't take away from the fact that the original release doesn't feel like a complete game.
I loved it was only 40ish hours, 120 hour RPGs make no damn sense from a playability standpoint. Felt complete to me, especially if you do side quest whatnot

Fbh

If you don't replay games a lot never buy Atlus games at launch.
Just wait 1-2 years for the improved version

night13x

hoping for a pc release with story revamp, MANY more dungeons outside of the 4 large areas and the handful of real dungeons in the game, more demons. Feel like SMTV was the SMT first foray of what a fully 3d open world (ish) SMT game will look like and hopefully they can build from there.

Nico_D

Haven't played IV but III was better than V. V is a good game but it doesn't have the atmosphere of III - but doesn't have that shitty extra deep dungeon either. The protagonist of Nocturne was better as was the story.

Metnut

Was a flawed game, but I enjoyed the exploring, the music, and the fights. The plot was mostly atmospheric rather than having much substance but overall package was still good. I don’t think it ran too bad on my docked Switch.

Not a big fan of Atlus doing the super version of the games years after releases. I do enjoy their games so will likely still buy most of them, but I never double dip with any games and might have to consider waiting a while to buy some upcoming new games they release.

Last edited:
Top Bottom