• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei vs Digital Devil Saga

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Atlus is releasing both games a month apart. I'm confused as to what the differences are between the two games. Can anyone fill me in?

SMT3 is the real sequel to the series (SMT1 and 2). DDS is a spinoff similar to the Persona's, Devil Summoner ect.

Buggy, Atlus said what did was put Dante into STM3 and then sent Capcom a copy to see what they thought of it and Capcom said they could do it.

selig

Banned
What are the exact release dates of both games? Any chance they'll ever reach Europe? I need more Atlus love. :)

September 21st for SMT3 and November 18th for DDS. As for a Europe release, I guess it's possible since Disgaea is being released over there. It'll probably depend on just how well that sells though.

ferricide

SMT3 offers more freedom in shaping the story and deeper gameplay, but is less cinematic. DDS offers a lot more story but is therefore thought to be a lot more linear (nobody has really posted up impressions of the import as yet. i've only played the first ~1 hour of either game, yet, so i don't have any comments about how they actually go beyond that amount.)

my advice: buy both!

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
September 21st for SMT3 and November 18th for DDS. As for a Europe release, I guess it's possible since Disgaea is being released over there. It'll probably depend on just how well that sells though.
Koei disributing Disgaea in Europe iirc, which means it likely won't hit 5k. :/

Bebpo

Banned
ferricide said:
SMT3 offers more freedom in shaping the story and deeper gameplay, but is less cinematic. DDS offers a lot more story but is therefore thought to be a lot more linear (nobody has really posted up impressions of the import as yet. i've only played the first ~1 hour of either game, yet, so i don't have any comments about how they actually go beyond that amount.)

my advice: buy both!

Well considering the import still isn't out for another 3-4 days :p

But it's good to know that it's going fine at least in the 1st hour. If you can post some more in-depth impressions in the next few days it would be great :)

nitewulf

buy both dude, they both look awesome and are two different games. how are the battle systems though? never played any SMT or persona games.

ferricide

Bebpo said:
Well considering the import still isn't out for another 3-4 days :p
heh, i'm not paying attention. i don't import RPGs that are coming out here. my japanese isn't good enough to make it worth my while. well, not with my current level of laziness and huge-ass pile of unplayed english games, anyway.

Bebpo said:
But it's good to know that it's going fine at least in the 1st hour. If you can post some more in-depth impressions in the next few days it would be great :)
not bloody likely. i won't be touching it again till the U.S. boxed copy, most likely. i only played it for preview. granted, i very much wanted to, but i don't have any reason to continue playing.

nitewulf said:
how are the battle systems though? never played any SMT or persona games.
very fast paced, pure-turn based, but with strategy to it. i don't, in all honesty, know how good they are yet as i didn't get very deep into either game. i know that you can gain advantage over your enemies and steal turns from them in SMT3. DDS has the same battle system -- or it's based on it, anyway -- and it's also quite speedy. if you run it on auto they're quite possibly the fastest turn-based battles since the 16-bit era.

"DDS has the same battle system -- or it's based on it, anyway -- and it's also quite speedy. if you run it on auto they're quite possibly the fastest turn-based battles since the 16-bit era."

I can't even really imagine a turnbased battle system that moves faster than Grandia so I can't wait to play this game.

I'm still more excited about SMT3 though, mainly due to the more open ended gameplay structure it offers. Ofcourse DDS will still rock for it's story driven style, especially if the stories are anywhere near as good as those in the other spinoffs of the series.

I still have a feeling that DDS will be delayed. Even just for localizing reasons.

While they are obviously different games, I don't know if the general public will be convinced of that so easily. They are coming out so closely and look a bit alike... I'm afraid the average person might think they're two versions of the same game. Like those Mega Man and Pokemon titles that come out in pairs.

I'm sure they'll do their best to seperate them, but there's most likely going to be a bit of confusion among people.

I kinda want DDS to get delayed just because I know it has no chance of being a success by releasing in November. It's going to be completely overshadowed in every way. Just delay it till early next year I say. SMT3 should hold us over considering how the gameplay is done.

ferricide

SolidSnakex said:
I can't even really imagine a turnbased battle system that moves faster than Grandia so I can't wait to play this game.
i don't think grandia is that fast... they spend so much time running around. granted, i only played grandia II.

What really made Grandia fast was that you could have multiple characters attacking at once instead of taking turns. So all of your characters could be attacking enemies which made the fights move along alot faster than normal turn based battles.

ferricide

SolidSnakex said:
What really made Grandia fast was that you could have multiple characters attacking at once instead of taking turns. So all of your characters could be attacking enemies which made the fights move along alot faster than normal turn based battles.
true, but i'd point towards something like suikoden I & II for speediest battles in the 32bit gen.

Top Bottom