• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shmup Slam 2 (Ketsui, DOJ, Danmaku Unlimited 3 world record, Dariusburst, Progear, Mushihimesama, etc)

Just a video dump of a bunch of Western players duking it out over the weekend. Some of the runs are side-by-side competitions which is pretty hype to watch.

Over the past few years the shmup community has been gradually trying to modernize by... you know... actually doing events, publishing guides, and acting like a community. Shmup Slam is a live event, so keep that in mind as your are entranced by the swirling patterns of bullets

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Everything was bullet hell (almost, but who gives a shit about Gun.Smoke?)

Nah, this is actually pretty cool. Shmups are a way more interesting genre than people tend to give it credit for.

Everything was bullet hell (almost, but who gives a shit about Gun.Smoke?)

Nah, this is actually pretty cool. Shmups are a way more interesting genre than people tend to give it credit for.
Not a lot of folks seem to care about running shmups before the mid-90s (i.e. pre-bullet hell) like Gradius, R-Type, Xexex, etc.

Bullet hell is also a lot of fun and looks more impressive, so it makes sense. Dodging dense patterns w a small hitbox is more appealing than dodging aimed bullets with a huge hitbox (which is how most of the old shmups operated).

Danny Dudekisser

Not a lot of folks seem to care about running shmups before the mid-90s (i.e. pre-bullet hell) like Gradius, R-Type, Xexex, etc.

Bullet hell is also a lot of fun and looks more impressive, so it makes sense. Dodging dense patterns w a small hitbox is more appealing than dodging aimed bullets with a huge hitbox (which is how most of the old shmups operated).

I'm just sayin', where's Under Defeat?

I'm just sayin', where's Under Defeat?
Sadly not that popular of a game in shmup circles :lollipop_weary:

Lot of that has to do with a lack of modern ports, and the lack of
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
next to the title.

Danny Dudekisser

Sadly not that popular of a game in shmup circles :lollipop_weary:

Lot of that has to do with a lack of modern ports, and the lack of
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
next to the title.

Lol, yeah, it's more about my disinterest in Cave at this point. Like, their games are good, but people pretend like that's allll there fuckin' isssss anymore.

I've been on a Dreamcast kick lately, so I'm kind of obsessed with all the shooters there. That was the last hurrah for the genre being interesting, as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom