• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot ‘em up Cotton Reboot announced for PS4, Switch, and PC

Bullet Club

Shoot ‘em up Cotton Reboot announced for PS4, Switch, and PC

A reboot of the 1991-released arcade title.

kd9pSSh.jpg

Beep, the video game sales division of Japanese company Sangatu Usagi no Mori, has established a publishing division and announced a reboot of the 1991-released, Success-developed arcade shoot ’em up Cotton as its first project. Tentatively titled Cotton Reboot, it will be released for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam. Release date and price were not announced.

Cotton Reboot is based on the X68000 version of Cotton, which was brushed up from the original arcade release. While it adds a new “Arrange Mode” that suited to current hardware specifications, it also includes the original version of the game.

In addition to the reboot version, Beep also announced plans to re-release the X68000 version of Cotton as a physical floppy disk for the platform this summer.

Here is an overview of the original Cotton, via MobyGames:

Cotton is a 2D side-scrolling shooter in which the player takes the role of the young witch Cotton, who sets out on her magical broom on a quest to get her favorite candy. Fortunately for us her obsession gets her in the way of several world-threatening terrors that she must destroy in standard shooter fare.
The game features an experience-earning system in which the more enemies the player kills the more he can upgrade his weapon by collecting power crystals. Players can also charge their weapon for special attacks and enlist the aid of Silk, Cotton’s magical fairy friend who can form up in different “option” configurations.
Visit the Cotton series 40th anniversary website here and Cotton Reboot official website here.

Source: Gematsu

Hudo

Now this is a name I haven't heard for a long time. Holy shit. Hopefully they'll also get to make a new Panorama Cotton!

I've got some witch shooter on HuCard... Is that Cotton? Wait, no. I have Cotton on the Saturn. It is Magical Chase. It's so hard to keep my witch shooters straight. Don't even get me started on Twinkle Star Sprites...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I need to get a Wii for the shmup disc they had, but I'd give anything for a Cave collection.
The only way we're getting more CAVE is through M2, and the only way M2 will release it is as standalone titles. It is what it is. I definitely want more CAVE ported but since CAVE themselves give zero shits about their back catalogue, we'll have to wait until M2 decides to do it for them.

What is the Wii shmup disc you're referring to? Ultimate Shooting Collection with Radirgy and Chaos Field?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I’m in as long as they don’t like, make it so her clothes deteriorate and fall off when she takes damage.

pramod

Banned
I've got some witch shooter on HuCard... Is that Cotton? Wait, no. I have Cotton on the Saturn. It is Magical Chase. It's so hard to keep my witch shooters straight. Don't even get me started on Twinkle Star Sprites...

Nope there was a CD version for the Turbo, and a copy is like $500 on EBay.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: Isa
The only way we're getting more CAVE is through M2, and the only way M2 will release it is as standalone titles. It is what it is. I definitely want more CAVE ported but since CAVE themselves give zero shits about their back catalogue, we'll have to wait until M2 decides to do it for them.

What is the Wii shmup disc you're referring to? Ultimate Shooting Collection with Radirgy and Chaos Field?
Yes, that's the one! I had a poor quality bootleg for my dreamcast and that glasses shmup girl deserves better. I regret selling my Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets disc for the 360, but I really wasn't using that system anymore. Hell, I purchased it alone for Deathsmiles.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
There were a few other threads but this one had the most replies. Also I've bumped the Shmup OT enough this week.

New trailer looks sick.

Bullet Club

Cotton Reboot! coming west in Q1 2021

ININ Games to publish.

fhEvghZ.jpg

ININ Games will release Cotton Reboot! both physically and digitally for PlayStation 4 and Switch in Q1 2021 in North America and Europe, the publisher announced.

In Japan, Cotton Reboot! is due out for PlayStation 4 and Switch on February 25, 2021.

Here is an overview of the game, via ININ Games:

Shoot ‘Em Up With an Adorable Main Character
A young witch called Nata de Cotton is hot headed, immature, overreacts, and rides on a broomstick, accompanied by a fairy named Silk. Cotton is crazy about candies called “Willows.” Those candies are so good that she won’t let anything get in her way to get them. Talk about sugar cravings!

Armed with explosive fire power, a cast of cunning enemies to confront and some enchanting and beautiful graphics sees this endearing title as one that enlightens the imagination. Cotton will embark on her journey through the game’s seven amazing colorful stages with the hope that she will be rewarded at the end. As you move through a graveyard with wormed eyeballs or through a forest with trees that are part human form, eyes and mouth, hails of bullets and triple lazer fire from Cotton’s latest weapon resource that can be swapped and changed throughout as an endless onslaught of enemies fill the screen with their own arsenal of power. Avoid and maneuvering becomes as important as straight shooting.

Remaster of an Iconic “Cute ‘Em Up”
Cotton Reboot! is an updated, remastered version of the classic and iconic “cute ’em up” Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams with brand new features and updated visual designs. The game also features three game modes that include the X68000 original mode that faithfully emulates Sharp’s personal computer from the 1993 version. Arrange mode features 16:9 screens, redesigned graphics and characters. In Score attack mode the player competes for scores online within a limited time (two-minute and five-minute mode can be selected).

Limited Edition with Special Offerings
In addition to the standard edition, along with its digital online store release, ININ Games will also publish limited editions of Cotton Reboot! Pre-orders for the limited editions are expected to start in November, while pre-orders for the standard edition will follow soon after.

View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.

ofBdIam.jpg

9yGTwqb.jpg

nkVZkWd.jpg

Source: Gematsu

00_Zer0

Thanks for making a thread on it, Bullet Club Bullet Club !

What a time to be alive for all these ancient shmup franchises to get ports/remakes on modern systems. A dead genre no more?
Thanks to you and Bullet Club I never have to worry about missing out on shooters releasing to all the different platforms.

Yes, you are right, it seemed to start happening after the Switch's release too. Between Steam getting Shmups fairly regularly now, and M2's involvement in the scene I'd say we are in for many more shooter surprises.

Top Bottom