• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get gaming PC?

A PC is worth it for games like FTL. And many games do work with a controller on PC. Unless you have money issues a PC will open you to new experiences and probably more exclusives than most consoles ever had. I love my PS5 but I know that many of my best gaming experiences, games like The binding of isaac and Rogue Legacy, are or have been PC exclusives at some point.

Last edited:
Right now I want a gaming PC. But at the same time I don't want to get one because even games that say full controller support don't really have full controller support. The menus still require keyboard and mouse in tons of games on PC. Now sure the campaign story and multiplayer support the controller, but the menus and customization of options still require keyboard and mouse. Which to me totally sucks. I want the entire freaking game to have controller support! But the only way to have full controller support, even in the menus is with a console. Black Ops 3, Black Ops 2, Black Ops, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, played them all on PC, but again menus never worked with my controller, only kb and m. Start game story and controller supported of course. It's just a big hassle to me and I don't like it. Which is why I think overall it would probably be better just to stick with consoles because I like controller way more and also the big TV.
Nope. If you really badly wanted one, you'd have purchased it by now. The fact that you're apprehensive suggests to me that this such a purchase would be a giant waste of money. Never listen to the people on GAF, they generally give bad advice when it comes to the utilization of money. I don't know if Gaffers are just too rich that the money doesn't matter or they just don't care lol.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
IMG-0058.jpg

Zathalus

Honestly if you can’t stand using a mouse and keyboard even occasionally then PC is probably not for you. Personally I love my PC in the living room but to each their own.

tr1p1ex

When will this happen? And what about all the shooters locked to 30fps and low resolutions and 100+ms of input lag and no ultrawide and no free online, and no mods?
like i said the reason to get a pc nowadays is to play console ports at higher res and higher frame rates....(etc.)

didn't say 100% m/k on console would happen. just reflecting on how close they are/how much i wish they would just go all the way.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Nope. If you really badly wanted one, you'd have purchased it by now. The fact that you're apprehensive suggests to me that this such a purchase would be a giant waste of money. Never listen to the people on GAF, they generally give bad advice when it comes to the utilization of money. I don't know if Gaffers are just too rich that the money doesn't matter or they just don't care lol.
wise advice.

Puscifer

Personally, I'm going to wait to see what MS is doing with their next system since the rumors are that they're basically creating something that covers exactly what you're asking for. It's rumored to be a console-ish experience with PC stores.

Up to you though. Just a question on what you want and how long you want to wait for a rumor.
Tbh it'll likely get me over IF done right. IF.

My desktop is a bootloader for steam, I have a laptop I hook up via KVM for any actual work I have to do. Not to mention that I build ITX PCs so being able to carry around SX sized PC would be amazing to me and I'd never want for another PC or console, but that being said I do want full PC usage when I need it.

Edit: I should add that I say I want full PC usage because there are times I use UImods for stuff like Risk of Rain 2. Either way, if Microsoft can make a console that's the target specs imagine how well games will scale with higher end hardware if there's a minimum spec that has to be good for 6-8 years!

Last edited:
Seems like controller support is a big deal to you so I would say no. You can almost go 100% controller these days but still not there. If you play a lot of older games it will be even worse for you.

Mithos

If you have the money to spend go for it, but it will cost you depending on what you want to play and at what framerates and settings.

cireza

Right now I want a gaming PC. But at the same time I don't want to get one because even games that say full controller support don't really have full controller support. The menus still require keyboard and mouse in tons of games on PC. Now sure the campaign story and multiplayer support the controller, but the menus and customization of options still require keyboard and mouse. Which to me totally sucks. I want the entire freaking game to have controller support! But the only way to have full controller support, even in the menus is with a console. Black Ops 3, Black Ops 2, Black Ops, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, played them all on PC, but again menus never worked with my controller, only kb and m. Start game story and controller supported of course. It's just a big hassle to me and I don't like it. Which is why I think overall it would probably be better just to stick with consoles because I like controller way more and also the big TV.
That's a lot of reasons to not want one.

tr1p1ex

This "etc" now makes a big difference.
well I'm not trying to write a legal document. other technical improvements on pc fall under the higher resolution and higher frame rate category. they are implied. ;)

reply to your sarcasm on sticks was just reflecting how close consoles are to full support of m/k and how I wish they would just go all the way. There's nothing really there preventing them from doing it. I guess it's baby steps.

Last edited:

Holammer

Valve just posted an update on its work on Steam Input.
The 10% number seems a bit high for Steam Deck, how many units have they sold anyway?

• Since 2018, daily average controller use has tripled from ~5% to up to 15%
  • ~42% of these controller sessions are using Steam Input
  • During that time, the controller landscape has changed:
      • 59% of sessions are using Xbox controllers
      • 26% are using PlayStation controllers
      • 10% are on Steam Decks

They also tease a Steam branded HORI pad. Available in Japan this summer.

0240d7ebffa5cb94fb75c1d71b3ba561.jpg

Asymmetric garbage, it belongs in the trash.

diffusionx

Gold Member
A good PC for Steam/Gamepass/Epic Free games/Nintendo emulators and a PS5 for all PS4/PS5 exclusives and PS Extra/premium Subscription is all you need.
I think this covers all thats a must for modern gaming.

if only our time was unlimited.
All that RTSs, WoWs and shooters that we play with non handicapped stick controllers instead of problematic mouse&kb/VR controllers.
yea and you probably won't be playing those games from a couch. If you must play RTS games, for the most part a potato PC will run everything and just stick it on your desk.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What PC lacks in ease of use compared to a console is easily overshadowed by the much better choice, better value for money, and better customisability.

So yes, Op. PC gaming is worth it, if you’re prepared for a little more set up time.

Denton

Pretty much 100% of games I play on PC (where I play everything), I play with controller, and controller works in their menus. Not sure what bizzare issues you have OP.

Last edited:

hinch7

If you are interested and want to play games not tethered to what Sony decides, sure. But I wouldn't invest big right now, unless you can get some really good deals. Or at least get some components on offer. Next generation graphics cards are coming real soon, so may want to wait out for that.

About the controller, they all work fine so long as you stick to Xbox Series/One controller. It is universally recognised on Windows and works wired or bluetooth. DualSense too but is a bit more of a hassle. And is only recognised via steam or third party drivers. Also has a tendancy to switch audio to the controller when wired, which is fairly annoying.

Last edited:
If you want to play on your TV with a controller, you can just buy an extended HDMI cable and do so.

What is your budget, OP? Are aiming for a high end system? You might want to wait a few months on that front.

David B

An Idiot
also what do you even want a PC for? what does it offer that makes you want to switch? if there's no reason for you really I don't see the point
Yeah I guess there's no point. I have a Sony 43 inch TV with 120 Hz and VRR and supports Dolby Vision along with ALLM. I'm not a big gamer anyway, I play Call of Duty about 2 to 4 hours a day. I was going for better frame rate, but 60 to 120 is already good. Well that's a good point than. There is no point as I like the big screen TV more and I don't want to configure all that controller stuff in Steam so that my controller works in menus. Black Ops 1 2 and 3 the controller never works for me in menus. So yeah I'll stick to consoles as keyboard and mouse are just my typing and searching computer things.

Steam input provides real controller support to any game. I even play Keyboard and mouse visual novels with a controller. Steam input works out of the box but if a game is M&KB only then you can customize it for controller use in the steam options. Steam input also has native per game profiles. Controller is not an issue on PC in 2024.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I love shopping with David B David B threads.

hinch7

Yeah I guess there's no point. I have a Sony 43 inch TV with 120 Hz and VRR and supports Dolby Vision along with ALLM. I'm not a big gamer anyway, I play Call of Duty about 2 to 4 hours a day. I was going for better frame rate, but 60 to 120 is already good. Well that's a good point than. There is no point as I like the big screen TV more and I don't want to configure all that controller stuff in Steam so that my controller works in menus. Black Ops 1 2 and 3 the controller never works for me in menus. So yeah I'll stick to consoles as keyboard and mouse are just my typing and searching computer things.
Might be better off waiting for PS5 Pro then. Save yourself some money and have a system designed for TV in mind.

ahtlas7

will GIF

Yes!

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Honestly, even if I read the first post, it wasn't necessary to tell you yes. Yes you should get a gaming PC. You can get a decent pre-built rig that will still play everything decently. Or, if you're down to build yourself (or if you know anyone) it can be substantially cheaper in some cases.

But I think it is SO worth it for a number of reasons. A lot of multiplatform games are typically cheaper on PC, there are also more exclusives be it indie titles, etc. that never see the light of day on console. I know some folks prefer to be comfortable and in front of a TV, rather than sitting at a desk. But you could easily PC game comfortably on a couch nowadays with the right setup.

All in all, go for it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Future threads
Should I buy a Switch 2?
Should I sell my Switch 2?
Should I buy a Digital Xbox Series X
Should I trade my Digital Series X for Switch 2?

David B

An Idiot
Steam input provides real controller support to any game. I even play Keyboard and mouse visual novels with a controller. Steam input works out of the box but if a game is M&KB only then you can customize it for controller use in the steam options. Steam input also has native per game profiles. Controller is not an issue on PC in 2024.
The fact alone that you have to program what button works for what action alone is a big trouble and a big reason not to get a gaming PC.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Nah, I went to play Civilization 7 or 15 on my laptop in work to kill my lunchtimes and have run into nothing but fucking issues, my colleague who has the fact same laptop plays perfectly, mine runs like dog shit, no idea why
Sounds like a user problem then as there is no civilization 15.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
How long do you think you can last without shutting on console users or forgetting that people have preferences?
Controllers efficiencies have nothing to do with preference. And neither consoles or not consoles as we can use whatever controller we want on pc.

Last edited:
Controllers efficiencies have nothing to do with preference.
I asked what I asked, and plenty of people prefer controller for a lot of FPS games anyway if we really want to get "technical". See the problem is that nearly every post I've ever seen of yours are console disses or PCMR related shit and a lot of them fall into what devolves into console people are retards and there's absolutely no reason to prefer console/controller.

Valve just posted an update on its work on Steam Input.
The 10% number seems a bit high for Steam Deck, how many units have they sold anyway?

They also tease a Steam branded HORI pad. Available in Japan this summer.

0240d7ebffa5cb94fb75c1d71b3ba561.jpg

Asymmetric garbage, it belongs in the trash.
Hori is the one of the only third party controller manufacturers that I actually like so this is interesting.

Top Bottom