• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity 2000 30 Years Later: An LGR Retrospective

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Celebrating the 30th anniversary of SimCity 2000 with an LGR retrospective review! The sequel to the classic Maxis city builder was a true game changer in 1993, improving nearly every part of the game and adding so many things that would become staples of the genre. So let's take a look at the MS-DOS version, the many ports and releases, and its legacy decades later!

Paulxo87

i saw this last night. a classic for sure - I even had the psone version. simcity 3000 is the goat tho

Last edited:

Killer8

Still something really appealing about the sprite work.

KudU9pH.png

Unknown?

i saw this last night. a classic for sure - I even had the psone version. simcity 3000 is the goat tho
The PS1 version is the only version I had but when 3000 came out, I had to get it and by that time I had a good PC. I still like SimCity 4 the beat though but man had so many good games with 2000/3000.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I remember it being unplayable on the standard Amiga 1200.

Needed lots of RAM and a FPU to get anything out of it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Now that one take you back. A bit more variety in the look of buildings would have been nice, but games were so tiny back then. It's unfortunate what happened to this series.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Celebrating the 25th anniversary of SimCity 3000! The third game in the classic Maxis city builder series had a false start in 3D form, but after EA took over and development restarted, the final 1999 game ended up being my favorite in the franchise. So let's revisit the Windows PC original, SC3K Unlimited, and the gameplay experience decades later in this LGR retrospective review!

God what a special game. Introduced me to the concept of boot disks as well. My 386 only had 4 megs of ram, so I was absolutely gutted when it refused to run. That night before bed I read the manual pretty much front to back, and literally the last thing I looked at was the troubleshooting section. When I saw the part about boot disks it blew my mind and when I woke up the next morning the first thing I did was run to the computer to create a boot disk. Worked perfectly and from then on my computer had a 5.25" boot disk resting in the drive ready to be used at all times.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
God what a special game. Introduced me to the concept of boot disks as well. My 386 only had 4 megs of ram, so I was absolutely gutted when it refused to run. That night before bed I read the manual pretty much front to back, and literally the last thing I looked at was the troubleshooting section. When I saw the part about boot disks it blew my mind and when I woke up the next morning the first thing I did was run to the computer to create a boot disk. Worked perfectly and from then on my computer had a 5.25" boot disk resting in the drive ready to be used at all times.
Lol fucking boot discs, the joys of playing games back on PC's back in the day, trying to free up as much ram as possible

Top Bottom