• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity a disaster for you? Take a look at Cities: Skylines (not related to CitiesXL)

Dimentios

I liked some of the few texture mods of SimCity 5.

KT692C3h1-720x442.jpg

f87f7f45d47d43cf684f3c28d9011f2f.jpg

:3

Noaloha

I just realised tomorrow is the 10th. Superior glorious Australian land strikes again!

I might be misunderstanding your post, apologies if so, but if you're in Oz please, please don't get your hopes up about playing this on Tuesday. All signs point to this being a single, non-regional release based on office hours in West Coast USA. Chances are that it'll unlock in Australia something like midnight Tuesday Perth and 3am Wednesday Sydney.

I really hope I'm wrong!

devonodev

I might be misunderstanding your post, apologies if so, but if you're in Oz please, please don't get your hopes up about playing this on Tuesday. All signs point to this being a single, non-regional release based on office hours in West Coast USA. Chances are that it'll unlock in Australia something like midnight Tuesday Perth and 3am Wednesday Sydney.

I really hope I'm wrong!
...So you're saying there's a chance?

rocK`

Banned
They've made three games now with traffic - they really have to keep improving their models and agent behavior. Of course, assuming you have 300,000 agents path-finding at once, even using a little bit of extra AI for each one is going to add up. I believe they had just one programmer for CiM, so kudos to that person.

If I was remotely good at programming, I'd find that kind of stuff fascinating. I remember watching some doco years ago about people modelling traffic in NYC. Their model wasn't working; it didn't come close to reality. They fixed it by breaking down drivers into just four types - late cutters, timid, etc.. After that their model was able to be used properly.

In other news, I don't think I can watch Skye any more. More and more he's reminding me of Wallace - both his accent and his actions, or at least his inability to see things right in front of him. "Crikey Gromit!"

What I can't wait for is something like 'Partnered with Waze', AI/agents based on real life traffic decisions. how many people take detours vs waiting it out, etc.

red731

Can you get your code early from GMG using an AUS VPN? If of course they release it then.

I don't think so. I've bought the game via GMG via my account which has my real address.
If it would be VPN'd via another account, say from Australia, then maybe I would get the code as legit AUS people.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I wonder if they'll patch in disasters
On the one hand it would be cool to try and recover/plan for them, but I remember playing banished before realising there were disasters and having a tornado come in a completely fuck up my game and I was so pissed

Cities Skylines - Each citizen is individualized and has a permanent residence and a permanent job. They will go about their day and work/shop/play as needed.

How permanent are we talking here? If unemployment is near zero and I expand my city simultaneously on either end of it, will the only jobs the new residents on Side A be able to get is the new commercial jobs on Side B?

Or do residents shuffle jobs (as in real life) or residences (as in real life) to reduce their commute?

Kinthalis

Banned
Very interesting...

This game is already the winner in my mind, but I do hope they can address some of the shortcomings either through dlc or full-blown expansions.

I'm pretty sure whatever plans they had coming for this game two weeks ago, have seen some major changes since then. This game is breakign records for Paradox, and I'm sure will be selling many times what CO's previous titles sold.

I'm sure we're going to get tons of content for this, and I wouldn't be suprised to see a couple of meaty expansions as well.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm pretty sure whatever plans they had coming for this game two weeks ago, have seen some major changes since then. This game is breakign records for Paradox, and I'm sure will be selling many times what CO's previous titles sold.

I'm sure we're going to get tons of content for this, and I wouldn't be suprised to see a couple of meaty expansions as well.

Yep, pretty sure about that. The demand for this game is crazy.

I so want to buy this for my Mac but I don't know if I have enough time in my life to enjoy it. I've been watching Paradox on Twitch and it looks like a hoot.

Might look out for it on sale in a year or two time.

Megasoum

Banned
I pre-ordered the game and I can't wait to play it but after spending a week watching streams and youtube videos I can't shake the feeling that the game is a bit.... Shallow.

I feel like what is there is super solid and that's definitly a great base for a new franchise but at same time the options are a bit limited.

-They have all the systems in place (fire, police, trash, deaths,etc) but almost no granular control except for the two levels of police/fire buildings.
-The water system feels like a waste of time. You have to put in the pipes but that's it. Also the way the game is balanced right now means that you need to spam the pumps/dumps buildings which look a bit ridiculous
-No way (afaik anyway) to increase or reduce the budget on specific utility buildings like in SC2013 which means that you need to spam all your utility building to get good coverage.

Anyway... The game still look amazing and much better than SC2013 overall. Also I'm sure that a lot of that stuff can be fixed either post release by Paradox or from users with mods. We'll see in a couple of weeks/months I guess.

I pre-ordered the game and I can't wait to play it but after spending a week watching streams and youtube videos I can't shake the feeling that the game is a bit.... Shallow.

I feel like what is there is super solid and that's definitly a great base for a new franchise but at same time the options are a bit limited.

-They have all the systems in place (fire, police, trash, deaths,etc) but almost no granular control except for the two levels of police/fire buildings.
-The water system feels like a waste of time. You have to put in the pipes but that's it. Also the way the game is balanced right now means that you need to spam the pumps/dumps buildings which look a bit ridiculous
-No way (afaik anyway) to increase or reduce the budget on specific utility buildings like in SC2013 which means that you need to spam all your utility building to get good coverage.

Anyway... The game still look amazing and much better than SC2013 overall. Also I'm sure that a lot of that stuff can be fixed either post release by Paradox or from users with mods. We'll see in a couple of weeks/months I guess.

I think the water system is pretty complicated with the dams and the possibilities to flood the land. The Paradox streamer also showed that you can block the water with a dam and then pump out the water so you can create more land from a dried up river.

glaurung

woah woah woah

WOAH

what???
Yeah the water dynamics are awesome. I first saw them in effect when a streamer built a dam, left it for a while, went back and discovered that the surrounding areas had become flooded. He then bulldozed the dam and the torrent flooded the area behind the dam.

Who needs disasters when you can cause them yourself?

red731

I've seen Skye play with this so this is in the game

Yep. Lower the budget for lets say electricity and the "reserves" will jump up and vice versa for nearly everything.

Someone correct me because I think it may be the opposite if you lower it.

Klyka

Banned
Yep. Lower the budget for lets say electricity and the "reserves" will jump up and vice versa for nearly everything.

Someone correct me because I think it may be the opposite if you lower it.

you can't do budget by individual building, you can do the overall budget.

so say you have 1 windmill that does 8MW at 100% budget. If you increase the budget, you increase the 8MW.

If you have say 5 police stations and they don't cover the outer edges of your city and you increase their budget, the coverage will increase.

It basically allows you to up your services without spending the money for a new service entirely but of course in the long run it will cost you more.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I believe Skylines is also designed as a multi-threaded engine, while Simcity 2013 was single core. Unless I am mistaken.

Yes, you are correct.

Or beyond. I still play SimCity 4. :D

I played some Simcity 4 this weekend, and I have to admit, I'm ready to move on to something newer. Even though I love the game and have been playing it for over 12 years, after my very short stint with Simcity 5 and after seeing what Skylines can do in videos I want the creative freedom of a 3D city builder. I want to be free of the gridlines, I want to be able to go down to street view and rotate my camera, I want the agent traffic that I can follow around. Yep, it's time. I think I may have played my last serious game time with Simcity 4 this weekend.

red731

you can't do budget by individual building, you can do the overall budget.

I was never even saying something about individual buidlings.
The question was that a lot of water pumps look ridiculous - so you can just tinker with the budget to have "more" water reserves.

EDIT OH SHIT I UNDERSTOD IT ALL WRONG FORGIVE ME GUYS LOL
Yes, you can't controll individual building.
Sorry Klyka, for making you type stuff for me. Duh.

The spamming is true. Utility building or service building have set radius from what I've seen.

is there an undo button?

No.

Psykoboy2

is there an undo button?

Nope. But before I make any BIG changes, I always save the game first.

Last night I wanted to fuck around with the rail system so I saved my game and started screwing around with it. Got to a point where I just wasn't ready to figure it out so I just reloaded my save game. It was like a one giant undo button.

epmode

Does anyone know if this game supports UI scaling? I'm concerned that the UI will be too small once you go over 1080p. I have quite a few Paradox games like that.

Phinor

Release time is at 18:00 GMT, right?

Well I don't know if they have changed it but last week the word was "around the time games usually release on Steam" which is 10:00 AM PST but since they turned clocks in North America already, 10:00 AM PST is actually 17:00 GMT instead of the usual 18:00 GMT. In any case, it's going to be around 17-18:00 GMT unless something changes.

Top Bottom