• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sketchy twitter rumor- Halo no longer considered a top flagship at Xbox, next Halo game has half the budget of Infinite, will determine fate of series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red5

Didn't Microsoft say that Halo Infinite is a platform and that future titles will be developed using Infinites engine or paid expansion packs? If true then it would make sense for the next Halo to have a much lower budget since they have a lot of assets already done.

Havoc2049

It's amazing how the most hardcore Xbox fans like Jez honestly felt like without the ABK deal Xbox as we knew it would be dead.
You do know that Jez is a paid journalist, who works for a Microsoft focused web site, Windows Central. It's his job to cover Xbox and give his opinion. He even admits that some of his statements are over the top to generate buzz and clicks.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I guess I don't get responses like these. They bungled Halo Infinite's content schedule, and it hurt the game. But it is today very, very good, and will be so for at least the next year or so.

That's a lot of time to actually have fun. When did gaming become about making sure the thing I like is the most popular thing?

(Age of Empires 2 is also absolute FIRE on Xbox, FYI)
Glad you’re enjoying the game mang.

I still play the MCC and Halo 5. Infinite’s problem to me wasn’t just the lack of content. It is the game itself. Everything from the customization systems, to the anti social nature of the game, or the way the gameplay feels just isn’t right to me. Granted the gunplay is tight and responsive, but it feels shallow.

I didn’t need a constant influx of new content back in 3 or Reach because the games were great packages all around. No asterisk necessary. I can’t say the same for Infinite because every map or mode they bring is just added to a bad foundation.

Dutchy

The only thing I learnt from this thread is that there are people still crazy enough to believe the $500m budget nonsense 😀
Yup, lol. Game looks and feels like it coulda been made by an indie studio (MTX Excluded of fucking course)

RAIDEN1

I don't think the Halo franchise is in as worse a state as Mass Effect is after Andromeda, but yeah if they took a gap equalling what Andromeda has to the next main-line Mass Effect game whenever that releases, then that might not be a bad thing, but I am of the opinion that just like how the Karate Kid franchise was dead in the water ....it took the fans of the franchise to revitalise it with Cobra Kai, and I think the same applies with Halo ....it will take the fans to bring it back to its glory days....because clearly Microsoft have no clue how to handle it....

havoc00

F1QSIdPXoAE1ezr

REDRZA MWS

Breaks my heart, still remember playing splitscreen Halo CE on the weekend with the family and the hours of fun, amazing game at the time.
Literally this. Bought the OG Xbox on launch day, just purchased a just on the market “HDTV”, 720p, had the component cables for my xbox (i know it wasnt running halo in 720p, but with component cables and the higher res tv upscaling the image was clean AF). Me and my brother literally played and beat the entire campaign split screen, in one sitting. Great memories.

VAVA Mk2

Didn't Microsoft say that Halo Infinite is a platform and that future titles will be developed using Infinites engine or paid expansion packs? If true then it would make sense for the next Halo to have a much lower budget since they have a lot of assets already done.
That changed with Infinite's success not being what they wanted. The engine isn't new. Just another edit/update to Blam engine which is shit and horrible to develop for. They are going back to scratch and will be using Unreal Engine going forward.

Shut0wen

Im calling bullshit, infinte is closer to any bungie game 343 has made, the general gameplay is great but again 343 fucked up by making a engine even they couldnt handle, if rumpurs of it being on ue5 are true then its more likely were gunna see halo as a once in a console generation game, also MS have to take some responsibility for making it f2p, like who the fuck thought that was a good idea

Breaks my heart, still remember playing splitscreen Halo CE on the weekend with the family and the hours of fun, amazing game at the time.
With you on this. did u ever get to play lan matches our group played this other group from uni we were nervous didn't know how good we were, and we teared them to shreds.

StueyDuck

This seems like an absolute nobody looking for clout. I'm willing to be proven wrong.

But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that halo has fallen out of favor of the mainstream populous... especially after you spend 70bil to own cod which slaughters halo in sales and player counts

This seems like an absolute nobody looking for clout. I'm willing to be proven wrong.

But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that halo has fallen out of favor of the mainstream populous... especially after you spend 70bil to own cod which slaughters halo in sales and player counts
CoD is next in line

The problem with Halo is that arena shooters with limited variety in gameplay is a dead genre, excluding hardcore military Sims like Counter-Strike

StueyDuck

Yep. is not overnight. it will take like 10 years.
Me and a friend have been playing 6 days in fallujah lately. While I don't want cod to be exactly like that (procedural and so on)

It would be cool to see it evolve into something less super hero and get back to the war side...

Anyway you could be right 10 years from now we could all be talking about cod like we do halo now

You don't need to read any leak to follow the logic behind this. Two main reasons:

- Halo as a franchise has underperformed. MS is to be blamed for this.

- The genre itself is not as relevant as in the PS3/360 era. And this is why only a truly exceptional Halo game may be considered flagship. In the current gen action-adventure and ARPGs are the top genres. This means that the franchise needs a full overhaul ala GOW. The good news is that you don't need a huge budget to do this.

If you check other franchises like Fallout, they suffer from the same problem. For these games to be as popular as before, they should innovate again, instead of relying on a dated formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom