• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull And Bones Breaks Records At Ubisoft

havoc00

Ubisoft's pirate game Skull and Bones is not putting up the strongest player numbers, but the publisher is touting the game's "record player engagement" as the title's first season launches.

According to Ubisoft, Skull and Bones players are spending, on average, more than four hours in the game every day. This is the second-highest daily playtime average for a Ubisoft game since the company was founded 37 years ago. Ubisoft did not say what the No. 1 title is.

As for Season 1 update, the Raging Tides update has players facing off against the fictional pirate Lord Philippe La Peste and his ship, La Potence, as part of a new World Event. Players will fight the evil pirate at his base of operators, the Blighted Bastion.

Players can also expect to encounter new warships at sea that they can plunder, as well as new bounties that have players fighting against Zamaharibu the sea monster. There is also a new Smuggler Pass that includes both free content like ship cosmetics, as well as a "premium" track that comes with even more cosmetics and an allotment of virtual currency.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

//DEVIL//

When your game doesn't sell for shit. We spin it to engagement just to have any positive marketing.

Learning from MS it seems with Starfied.

If your game is crap your game is crap. Accept that your team sucks of developing games and either shuffle staff or fire who doesn't belong there.

Sorry been in developments for years. And the outcome is rubbish

SJRB

Gold Member
"We sold less than a million copies, but some people are playing 4 hours a day" is the saddest fucking thing you could say to spin this into a positive.

Those numbers will fall once the honeymoon phase is over for the die-hards, just like what happened with Suicide Squad.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I know that for whatever reason the internet hates this game, but it's on my list of games to try at some point.

Hudo

I know that for whatever reason the internet hates this game, but it's on my list of games to try at some point.
Because the internet just wanted an AC4: Black Flag with the assassins shit stripped out, more pirate shit put in and maybe some sort of metagame like fleet management or so. What Ubisoft have made with Skull & Bones is a live-service game (with all the design decisions that entails) where you can't explore the harbors and land around them freely (you could in AC4), where ship battles are even less engaging, in particular the boarding is just a menu that pops up (in AC4 it was gameplay) and where the story is not really there.

It's AC4: Black Flag but worse. That's why people are hating on this game.

Gamerguy84

10 years in dev and it might last a couple months. When you let players in for free and they don't try it just shut it down.

Fredrik

Math is not my thing tbh but 4 hours daily, on average, seems like a decent number. Means lots of people are playing it even more. How much can you theoretically play per day, if you have a life?

Sakura

Math is not my thing tbh but 4 hours daily, on average, seems like a decent number. Means lots of people are playing it even more. How much can you theoretically play per day, if you have a life?
4 hours on average isn't particularly impressive without knowing how many people are actually playing it.
We also don't know how they arrived at those numbers. For example, they could be ignoring all the people who aren't playing the game any more (0 hours a day) in order to make the numbers look more impressive.

yazenov

Top Bottom