• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
shaft said:
Only 100 minutes left! Get yo asses on the hype train! :D

obama-high-speed-rail-plans.jpg

I'm already on this one:

hypetrain.gif

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks like great news. The next few NPD's will be much more interesting, now that hardware sales should pick up a bit.

Justin Dailey said:
That's awesome. If the power consumption is much lower I might trade in my 60GB for one.
If it uses the 45nm Cell/RSX like I suspect, it will consume much less power than a 60GB. Even my new 80GB is like night and day compared to my launch 60GB.

AndyD

aka andydumi
leehom said:
How many of you own a PS3 fat plan on purchasing the PS3 slim at $299?

*raises hand*

How many pre-existing owners do you think will purchase a slim?

A few million at least?

/hand up

I am up for it. My BC 80gb is on craigslist right now and I have had a few bites already this morning.

How easy is it to transfer stuff from one ps3 to another? I cant just yank out my hard drive, pop it in the new one, and go right?
No. But you can backup/restore from one to another.

CrayzeeCarl said:
If it uses the 45nm Cell/RSX like I suspect, it will consume much less power than a 60GB. Even my new 80GB is like night and day compared to my launch 60GB.

Both have been in production since early this year, I would hope they're being used.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
gamerecks said:
How easy is it to transfer stuff from one ps3 to another? I cant just yank out my hard drive, pop it in the new one, and go right?

No you can't, I have to use the backup utility on the PS3.

jmd494

gamerecks said:
You will have to deactivate all activated PSN accounts on your current system, use the backup utility to backup the one PS3 to the other, reactivate all PSN accounts on your new system, and redownload all your PSN games.

BobTheFork said:
Damn, that's nice to wake up to. Now I can buy a second PS3 just to use for all the Beta's I get in.

My ps3 works perfectly right now but damn I want that slim model. I might just have to purchase a backup too.

KZObsessed

Kingsgoon said:
As they raised the price for the arcade in to £159 I think you are in
for a big disappointment if you expect them to lower the Elite to £170.

Yeah you have a point. Tho they've increases the price of the Arcade, it's still cheaper than the Wii. And MS will want their "high end" 360 to be cheaper than PS3. So if PS3 Slim launches at £219, which is the current price of the Elite, we'll probably see MS announce Elite price drop to £199 or whatever so it remains cheaper.

tokkun said:
I don't see anything inconsistent with this attitude.

1. Along with cutting the price of the console, Sony has also been consistently removing features - HW PS2 BC, SW PS2 BC, reduced HD size, extra ports on the console. The PS3 you said you would buy at $399 no longer exists.

2. Technology hasn't been at a standstill while the PS3 has been slowly moving toward a competitive price. Standalone Blu-Ray players have seen significant price reductions, reducing the value of the BD in the PS3. Other high-end electronics have seen big price cuts too - the iPhone launched for a similar price to the PS3 and can be had at $99 now. PC graphics cards are steadily pushing forward the cutting edge in game performance. A $299 price today is not the same as a $299 price 2 years ago.
it doesn't work that way.

DenogginizerOS said:
From a point-of-sale perspective, a clerk is able to hand one box to a customer for a PS3 purchase while that same clerk would have to hand over multiple boxes to a customer looking to match the experience they can get with a PS3 and charge them a lot more in the process: 1) Xbox 360 2) Xbox Live Subscription 3) Wireless Adapter 4) Blu-ray Player.

As far as games are concerned, last I checked, COD:MW2 is going to be on PS3 this Fall, Madden is on PS3 already, Assassin's Creed 2 is on PS3, and Gran Turismo 5 will be on PS3 (possibly before Christmas) in addition to many other games including the other Sony exclusives. To say the X360's lineup outside of Halo, Fable, and Gears of War is superior to the PS3's is debatable and laughable in my opinion.

In addition, the Panasonic Blu-ray player that matches the PS3's quality in playback currently retails for $299.99 at most retailers ($219.99 at Costco). From that perspective alone, a consumer sees the PS3 much like consumers saw a PS2 with DVD playback - a great deal.
or this way either.

a PS3 to most consumers is a video game console. the other features... whatever. i don't think i've EVER sold a 360 and a live sub or a wireless adapter. people just buy the system and maybe the video cables in my experience, and if they want anything else then they'll come back later on realizing that they needed it.

to the first comment, a PS3 is a PS3. peoples opinion of it's value may change over time, but i think what you're actually seeing here is just a regular 'worth' curve. more and more people think a system is 'worth' a given price as that price gets cheaper. as i said before, most sales of systems happen once it hits $200 and below.

that's because most people don't think more than $200 is worth it for a video game console (even one that can play movies).

so yeah, lots of people are going to continue waiting until $199... but more people are going to have been waiting for $299 than were waiting for $399 (or $349 for that matter).

$299 is a very fair price for the ps3 even now. That would be the same price as a 120gb xbox 360.

$200: 360 Arcade
$250: Wii
$300: 360 120gb, PS3 120gb

All three consoles are in a very similar range now.

Carlisle

Holy shit this thread got epic. Just spent the last half hour catching up on the last 10 or so pages (since the Kmart ad was posted). I think I'm good to go. Gonna be a very unproductive day at work today... along the lines of E3 day and MJ's funeral.

I'm sporting a BC 80gb unit right now. I'd trade up in a heart beat if not for the BC issue... though I have a pretty good feeling we'll be getting a FW upgrade to bring full BC to all units. I dunno... it would just complete the ultimate trifecta: slim, 299, full BC. And that's all we'll ever need.

reakt

Justin Dailey said:
You will have to deactivate all activated PSN accounts on your current system, use the backup utility to backup the one PS3 to the other, reactivate all PSN accounts on your new system, and redownload all your PSN games.

Then you have to load up all of your games that you earned trophies for, in order to recover these trophies. This can be a problem if, like me, you've sold off or passed on some of your games.

Jim

gofreak said:
As for the new case... the vents on the leaked shot suggest they must be very confident about the thermal qualities of the design, because they've reduced the vents quite a lot.

PS2 slim-style, external power brick of some sort won't hurt (not confirmed).
It's hard to tell.

Dre

reakt said:
Then you have to load up all of your games that you earned trophies for, in order to recover these trophies. This can be a problem if, like me, you've sold off or passed on some of your games.
Or you could use the easier method and synch with the servers. ;)

plagiarize said:
it doesn't work that way.

or this way either.

a PS3 to most consumers is a video game console. the other features... whatever. i don't think i've EVER sold a 360 and a live sub or a wireless adapter. people just buy the system and maybe the video cables in my experience, and if they want anything else then they'll come back later on realizing that they needed it.

to the first comment, a PS3 is a PS3. peoples opinion of it's value may change over time, but i think what you're actually seeing here is just a regular 'worth' curve. more and more people think a system is 'worth' a given price as that price gets cheaper. as i said before, most sales of systems happen once it hits $200 and below.

that's because most people don't think more than $200 is worth it for a video game console (even one that can play movies).

so yeah, lots of people are going to continue waiting until $199... but more people are going to have been waiting for $299 than were waiting for $399 (or $349 for that matter).

True, but now that the PS3s price is in line with the Wii and 360, it may cause potential console buyers to research a bit more on what they're actually getting.

When the PS3 was $100 too much, it was a lot easier to brush it off regardless what it offered.

The Blue Jihad said:
It's a smart move. But I wonder if the Slim is totally replacing the Fat, like during the PS2 days.

You'd think they would. By all accounts, this Slim model should be significantly cheaper to make. Perfect time to cut the fat (lawl, puns).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Blue Jihad said:
It's a smart move. But I wonder if the Slim is totally replacing the Fat, like during the PS2 days.

Since it's almost certainly cheaper all round - cheaper to make/ship/store - I don't know why they'd continue to make fats. Plus fat supply has been drying up, so that wouldn't happen if they were still a going concern.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So, how much is the fat, what is the price of the slim, and when will the slim be avaliable in the US?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
plagiarize said:

A good salesperson will inquire about what the customer wants to do with the system and will hand them the things they will need so they have them in their hands. If I were running a store and the majority of console consumers left my store with just the system in their hand only to realize later that they needed more, then I would be doing a terrible job. Nevertheless, the fact a person might have to return to the store to get a Live sub or a wireless adapter compared to a PS3 owner who may return for an HDMI cable demonstrates the PS3 is a more complete package. Finally, by having all this gear in the box, I would be able to focus on selling games (where profit margins are greater) and plant more seeds for games coming rather than getting into the Frankenstein-esque assembly that is getting started with an Xbox 360.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
SecretBonusPoint said:
So they really did it. They priced the slim right there at the price-cut.

Get GT5 out this year and along with Uncharted 2 that is a killer outlook for the holidays and going forward.

What did i miss? Was something confirmed before the Sony conference?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If Kmart isn't bulshitting us, and the PS3 slim exists, is $299 and is coming next week, then great move by Sony. For once, a press conference will actually have lived up to it's megaton hype :lol

Even though I'm happy with my 80 GB, so I don't plan on selling it and buying a Slim or even just buying a second PS3 (it's not even about the BC, I would sorely miss my media card slots and 4 USB ports) I'm really excited for the Slim and I can't wait to see what it looks like. Although I would rather see Sony hit Nintendo head-on and price the Slim at $250 so that the Wii being stupidly overpriced looks even more ridiculous than it already does, $299 is still a-ok in my books (especially since I paid $500 for mine).

TheExodu5

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
A good salesperson will inquire about what the customer wants to do with the system and will hand them the things they will need so they have them in their hands. If I were running a store and the majority of console consumers left my store with just the system in their hand only to realize later that they needed more, then I would be doing a terrible job. Nevertheless, the fact a person might have to return to the store to get a Live sub or a wireless adapter compared to a PS3 owner who may return for an HDMI cable demonstrates the PS3 is a more complete package. Finally, by having all this gear in the box, I would be able to focus on selling games (where profit margins are greater) and plant more seeds for games coming rather than getting into the Frankenstein-esque assembly that is getting started with an Xbox 360.

That doesn't work when there's just about noone selling PS3s on commission.

Tobor

This thread has had quite the journey. :lol

Finally, it's over.

Also, :lol @ Denogginizer. Join us in reality, please.

I wonder if they are going to go with the 1 sku future and be done with it. Just the Slim 120GB at $299. That would be for the best.

GSG Flash said:
If Kmart isn't bulshitting us, and the PS3 slim exists, is $299 and is coming next week, then great move by Sony. For once, a press conference will actually have lived up to it's megaton hype :lol

Even though I'm happy with my 80 GB, so I don't plan on selling it and buying a Slim or even just buying a second PS3 (it's not even about the BC, I would sorely miss my media card slots and 4 USB ports) I'm really excited for the Slim and I can't wait to see what it looks like. Although I would rather see Sony hit Nintendo head-on and price the Slim at $250 so that the Wii being stupidly overpriced looks even more ridiculous than it already does, $299 is still a-ok in my books (especially since I paid $500 for mine).

@ $299, they're probably JUST breaking even. They've had it rough this gen already.

The Blue Jihad said:

Yes, fat ps3's stopped production a long time ago. There are no more 80gb units on Sony's end but there are still some 160gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom