• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SMITE becomes relevant again? Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn!

obin_gam

49920364568_d9f9ef8bac_b.jpg

• Theme – Madness – Cthulhu’s visual appearance and powers are designed to inspire psychological horror in his opponents.
  • Visuals – Monstrous – The recognizable octopus head sets up a clear template for Cthulhu as a terrifying beast from the darkest depths of the ocean.
  • Personality – Nihilistic. Cthulhu holds no respect for human life, nor the gods of Smite. He sees them as insignificant beings who are utterly worthless within his universe.
  • Perspective – Fear. The gods know nothing of Cthulhu, which scares them. Once they see him and begin to know what he is capable of, they fear him even more.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...e-pantheon-of-playable-gods-in-smite-in-june/

Will definately download again and try this out! Hopefully it brings 'some' enjoyment to the game again hehe.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I played it about two weeks ago again, it is the same un-polished game it was years ago. It isn't terrible but the gameplay is just so un-refined and archaic at this point if you compare it to more progressive MOBAs like League of Legends. The worst of it though is how it went all in on the lootboxes like I have never seen before, it pust most mobile games to shame. All the "events" now are just about buying boxes which include a number of "rewards" and once you unlock all the rewards in a tier you get a special reward and once you unlock all the special rewards in all the tiers you get the ultimate reward. All in all, to get the "ultimate reward" you need to spend and exuberant amount of money on lootboxes. There is literally no skill or even gameplay involved in these events anymore, just money. You can see it all here. Not to mention they got their battle-pass and most new skins are put into lootboxes so if you really want something then you gotta be insanely lucky or be prepared to pay a lot of money. Also, most of these lootboxes are filled with trash-tier junk like profile pictures and other nonsense.

Last edited:

obin_gam

I played it about two weeks ago again, it is the same un-polished game it was years ago. It isn't terrible but the gameplay is just so un-refined and archaic at this point if you compare it to more progressive MOBAs like League of Legends. The worst of it though is how it went all in on the lootboxes like I have never seen before, it pust most mobile games to shame. All the "events" now are just about buying boxes which include a number of "rewards" and once you unlock all the rewards in a tier you get a special reward and once you unlock all the special rewards in all the tiers you get the ultimate reward. All in all, to get the "ultimate reward" you need to spend and exuberant amount of money on lootboxes. There is literally no skill or even gameplay involved in these events anymore, just money. You can see it all here. Not to mention they got their battle-pass and most new skins are put into lootboxes so if you really want something then you gotta be insanely lucky or be prepared to pay a lot of money. Also, most of these lootboxes are filled with trash-tier junk like profile pictures and other nonsense.
Wait - so a game in 2020 is literally Pay 2 Win?

Tumle

no not pay2win just skins, voicepacks, avatars and other stuff.

i'll give him that there hasnt been that many changes to gameplay since its inception... but i have fun playing it since i feel i have more control over my actions than for example LOL or DOTA, i love the skill based shooting aspect of it rather than the point and click of the other two. :)

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Wut? I never said that, of course it isn't. Just that any form of cosmetics or vanity items and all "events" are just lootboxes. No actual gameplay modifications like in other games.

I'll give him that there hasn't been that many changes to gameplay since its inception... but i have fun playing it since i feel i have more control over my actions than for example LOL or DOTA, i love the skill based shooting aspect of it rather than the point and click of the other two. :)
For me it is the exact opposite. Smite is so janky and unresponsive that I feel like I am skating on ice all the time as opposed to the tight controls of League of Legends. And what makes you think there isn't any "skill based shooting aspect" in League when vast majority of characters rely on skillshots? Only difference is in basic attacks which automatically hit in League but that is because of it's isometric view and thus not being in 3rd person.

Last edited:

Tumle

Wut? I never said that, of course it isn't. Just that any form of cosmetics or vanity items and all "events" are just lootboxes. No actual gameplay modifications like in other games.

For me it is the exact opposite. Smite is so janky and unresponsive that I feel like I am skating on ice all the time as opposed to the tight controls of League of Legends. And what makes you think there isn't any "skill based shooting aspect" in League when vast majority of characters rely on skillshots? Only difference is in basic attacks which automatically hit in League but that is because of it's isometric view and thus not being in 3rd person.
yea i was talking about the basic atacks... i dont think i have noticed any skating (unless playing against Skadi :p) or unresponsiveness in the controls in smite.. are we talking input lag? because i have none of that when playing. (on PC)

mcz117chief

yea i was talking about the basic atacks... i dont think i have noticed any skating (unless playing against Skadi :p) or unresponsiveness in the controls in smite.. are we talking input lag? because i have none of that when playing. (on PC)
It doesn't feel very tight, to me it feels floaty and imprecise.

RedVIper

Banned
I really wanted to like this game. It's unfortunate that it's so unpolished.

I feel like this type of Moba with a Blizzard level of polish could be huge.

Tumle

It doesn't feel very tight, to me it feels floaty and imprecise.
ok :) well difference of opinion will happen, to me it plays fine :)
but i love to know where you feel those impressions.. if you want to elaborate? :)

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I really wanted to like this game. It's unfortunate that it's so unpolished.

I feel like this type of Moba with a Blizzard level of polish could be huge.
Yeah, I love MOBAs myself but there really are no good ones around outside of League and DOTA. I would love for a new, professional, polished MOBA to release. Imagine Star Wars, Warhammer or whatever MOBA, that would be excellent.

Top Bottom