• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snapdragon 8 Gen 4 and 3: Adreno GPU rumoured to launch with DLSS Frame Generation-like feature

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Weibo leaker Digital Chat Station has now teased an interesting new feature that could potentially change the mobile gaming landscape. Apparently, the Adreno 830 will support frame interpolation, allowing it to run Genshin Impact at 1080p 120 FPS.

Frame interpolation, popularly known as DLSS/FSR Frame Generation is a relatively new feature exclusive to current-gen Nvidia and AMD GPUs. It essentially increased a game's framerate by inserting artificial frames. While this does give the impression of better performance, it comes at a cost of extra input lag and visual artifacts like blurring.

DCS adds the feature won't be exclusive to the Snapdragon 8 Gen 4. There is a possibility of it tricking down to the Snapdragon 8s Gen 3 and Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 via a firmware update. Of course, it won't work with all titles and will require developers to bake the feature into their titles. If implemented correctly this could pave way for AAA PC/console games like Resident Evil Village and Assassin's Creed: Mirage to land on Android, and maybe even help the Snapdragon X Elite run games better.

snapdragon-8-gen-4-gpu-dcs.png

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
what for? no one plays AAA games on phone.
Games like Genshin already runs really well

If implemented correctly this could pave way for AAA PC/console games like Resident Evil Village and Assassin's Creed: Mirage to land on Android, and maybe even help the Snapdragon X Elite run games better.

I'm sure publishers are salivating at those mouth watering numbers of 7000 copies of RE4R and 11,000 units of Death Stranding being sold on iOS, a closed ecosystem, and thinking that "let's port these to Android, the most open source mobile OS, to sell millions!"

The only "AAA" title that's even in the top 100 paid games on Android, is GTA: SA. It currently sits at 5 million+ downloads (not sales), and it was given away with Google play pass sometime ago. No real sales data available publicly. It's second biggest paid app after Minecraft. Everything else is mobile curated or mobile first games like Monument Valley and Getting Over It or famous Indies like Limbo/Terraia/Super Meatboy Forever/Dead Cells etc.

Apart from Square's SNES-PS1 ports, no AAA publisher takes the platform seriously for fully priced games modern AAA games. Capcom won't be another exception like Square.

The tech is cool though, would definitely watch a digital foundry video if they do one, I mean, if a publisher ports to Android and then they do an analysis.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
it's not limited to AAA but mobile gaming is bigger than console and PC
but you dont need these kinda tech to play mobile games like candy crush or genshin.

TbH, most mobile gamers wont give a shit anyway imo

Last edited:
Top Bottom