• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum set to receive HDR and FSR 3 console frame generation (High dynamic range imminent, frame-gen "in just a few short weeks")

Source - Eurogamer/Digital Foundry

Ascendant Studios' Immortals of Aveum is currently enjoying a new lease of life as a 'free' game on PlayStation Plus - and two major upgrades are coming soon. The first - patch 1.0.6.3 - adds support for high dynamic range and should be rolling out to all console versions of the game today. Perhaps more exciting is the upcoming 1.0.6.4, which brings AMD's FSR 3 frame generation to consoles for the first time, increasing frame-rate via inserted, interpolated frames.

When the console versions receive their FSR 3 upgrades, the PC version will also be updated to support the latest rendition of AMD's frame generation technology. Ascendant is working with development partner Enduring Games to bring this eagerly awaited feature to consoles and we're intrigued to see just how good the implementation will be.
The PR doesn't give much away about how frame-gen changes or improves Immortals of Aveum on consoles, saying only that "Patch 1.0.6.4 will also extend FSR 3 support for Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) monitors and TVs on both PC and consoles, which will improve frame pacing and reduce occurrences of judder or screen tears".

The existing implementation of FSR 3 on PC doesn't support VRR and has profound frame-pacing issues under load - issues AMD has addressed in more recent FSR 3 updates. It should be pointed out that while FSR 3 is a catch-all term for AMD's latest upscaling tech, developers do not need to implement frame generation. However, we're assured by the Ascendant that frame-gen is in for the console builds.
Based on our experiences with Immortals of Aveum - and indeed our own tests on console-equivalent hardware using the existing PC version - our educated guess would be that Ascendant Studios and Enduring Games will be building on the existing experience targeting 60fps, increasing frame-rate for 120Hz display support. Additionally, VRR on consoles would allow for a smoother, more consistent experience even if there are frame-rate fluctuations below 120fps. Expect the 1.0.6.4 upgrade with FSR 3 support "in just a few short weeks", according to PR material shared to us by the developer. HDR support for PC is due "in a future update".

At Digital Foundry, we'll be doing our best to bring you more about FSR 3's first console deployment as soon as we can.

It boggles my mind that HDR is still a feature that some developers forget to implement from the get go. That's a past gen feature, duh. Same as FSR or temporal injection or checkerboarding or whatever provides the best bang for the buck. Ever since checkerboarding was introduced and some master race PC guys laughed at me thinking it will come big time on PC too, it feels like not using theses methods is just stubborn nonsense.

Embearded

It's cool that consoles are getting to try FSR3 FG.
It's a shame the first game to use it is a failure.

Awesome news . This game is a overlooked gem . So much fun and feels so old school

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

HL3.exe

Wanted to like it, wanting to support AA titles in this day and age.

Tone rubbed me the wrong way, artstyle looked a bit cringe, and it didn't have a 'skip cutscene' button.

Refunded. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bojji

Yeah its never 60 in combat so dunno how fsr3 would work in this game without feeling awful

Fsr3 doubles the output so when game drops to 45fps you should get over 70"fps", on consoles they control everything so maybe they will make it good (including input lag).

But for it to truly make any sense game have to run in 120hz output, if they keep it in 60hz container... Why even bother?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Too little too late for my interest in the game. Frame Gen on console is the only relevant part of this for me.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
imagine if they implement "next gen" version of these fsr on next gen console like ps6.
30 fps no more!

Last edited:

CuNi

To little to late but High level gameplay in this game is something else.

I don't mean to be insulting or anything, but that "high level gameplay" looked not really hardcore nor fun.
Mind you, I never played this game and can only tell from what I saw in that video, so I might very well be completely off.

He uses all cooldowns by the looks of it and then zooms away... and it's always the same attacks over and over.
Enemies are bullet sponges, way too much downtime… it looks like there is action for 2–3 seconds and then there is a weird silence and gap where… Nothing happens before repeating the same attacks.
Sometimes he slows down time, which makes it even more painful to watch as even less is happening.

Watching it feels like watching a bullet hell game without bullets...

skit_data

Perfect to get it via PS+, I've been curious tp try it out (esepcially now when it gets framegen) but I wouldn't buy it even on a discount due to the poor reception.

Skifi28

imagine if they implement "next gen" version of these fsr on next gen console like ps6.
30 fps no more!
The proper use of frame generation is to double 60 to 120. Maybe you can get away with 40-50 fps depending on the circumstances, but even AI can't make a decent conversion from just 30, you need a higher input framerate.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ever since checkerboarding was introduced and some master race PC guys laughed at me thinking it will come big time on PC too, it feels like not using theses methods is just stubborn nonsense.
How many PC games even use checkerboard rendering.
Its CapCom who has that option right, otherwise I cant remember any games that actually use checkerboard rendering.

SHA

I was just going through my games and realized I still had this PS5 disc. I will happily play through this again. What a great game. The performance was the only complaint, and I think that has been alleviated since I played.
Yeah, the guns are amazing.

proandrad

Wonder if they have done further optimization because frame generation is not a good experience if it’s not hitting over 100fps.

Muffdraul

I want to like this game, but first I have to play this game. I bought it months ago. When I finally tried to play it, I was thwarted by perhaps the worst example of "OK we promise we're going to let you have fun, but first you gave to get past this mind-numbingly pants-peeingly boring intro section" I've ever witnessed. I gave up before I got past it.

Last edited:

hinch7

Hopefully more devs will implement FG and more fps and cap options. A 40fps mode with FG (80fps) with high fidelity would be nice to have.

Last edited:

solidus12

While utilizing frame generation PS5 can only have RT with sound, the GPU runs with a 20% constant downclock and the base architecture drops to RDNA 0.5.
He also hates discussing PlayStation games. Only for him to salivate over them once they’re ported to pc.

Nydius

Awesome news . This game is a overlooked gem . So much fun and feels so old school

I think it would have fared much better at launch if it had been at a $40-$50 price point instead of EA pretending it was worthy of being at the full triple-A price point. Lower cost to play would have made people a lot more forgiving of the game’s flaws (which, yes, there are many).

But there’s still a market out there for nostalgic, X360/PS3 era AA gamss like this (and Evil West), they just need to strike the right price. And maybe don’t release in the middle of a crowded af release period.

proandrad

The game cost about 45million to develop and sold for $70. The last of us part 2 was about 200million and sold for $60. Gaming video game pricing makes no sense.

I think it would have fared much better at launch if it had been at a $40-$50 price point instead of EA pretending it was worthy of being at the full triple-A price point. Lower cost to play would have made people a lot more forgiving of the game’s flaws (which, yes, there are many).

But there’s still a market out there for nostalgic, X360/PS3 era AA gamss like this (and Evil West), they just need to strike the right price. And maybe don’t release in the middle of a crowded af release period.

But the games budget wasn't AA but AAA and it looked and sounded like one. I wasn't on about the 360 era either, but back in the 90's when you had all sorts of FPS and the game reminded me more of a time of the likes of Hexxen and plenty of games have flaws
I agree with you on the timing of the games release wasn't good mind.

Esppiral

I was shocked at how good FSR3 works on the Steam deck with this game, you don't need 60 fps as a baseline to use It, It turned the Game from 30 ish to 60 allowing me to ramp the resolution a bit more in the procces,

Only complains are the hud elements move weird and there is heavy stutter from time to time, but It IS worth, I don't know were the myth that you need 60 fps as a base or that It is only useful to reach 120fps comes from....

Consoles should benefit greatly from FSR3.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

It boggles my mind that HDR is still a feature that some developers forget to implement from the get go. That's a past gen feature, duh. Same as FSR or temporal injection or checkerboarding or whatever provides the best bang for the buck. Ever since checkerboarding was introduced and some master race PC guys laughed at me thinking it will come big time on PC too, it feels like not using theses methods is just stubborn nonsense.
Ahhh, don't worry about the pc wankers. They laugh, but they are the fuckers who spend two grand on a pc, or almost 4x the cost of a ps5. Only time I think about them is when they insert themselves into a thread randomly with my (insert bollocks here) crap and start going on with themselves. 🤣

Saiyan-Rox

The performance of this stopped me from playing (when I spent 10£ on the game) so be interesting to see how well these patches do.

omegasc

After using the Frame Generation patch on Witcher 3, going from 30~40s to 80+, I don't know where those claims that it NEEDS to be 60 base to work come from. Maybe it's OPTIMAL to have around 60 but it's not mandatory or an unplayable experience if not.

How many PC games even use checkerboard rendering.
Its CapCom who has that option right, otherwise I cant remember any games that actually use checkerboard rendering.
previous sentence "Same as FSR or temporal injection or checkerboarding or whatever provides the best bang for the buck." I did not talk about only cb?
I immediately thought any cheap technique that improves framerate will be adopted later on when Sony presented cb, which afair was even before DLSS was even in its infancy. Afaik some interlaced like modes were even done prior to checkerboarding but without upscaling to "repair" it, it was pure lower detail and "make it playable" stuff. And then DL/ML came later but it was quite obvious to me that if something gives more performance for minimal cost it makes no sense to not use it. Thus it is weird that the current gen did not fully go all in with these techniques in some way or another when already the past mid gen refresh was doing quite well with it and especially Nvidia pushed their technique much further. No matter that FSR1 and 2 and even 3 are not as good, and AMD drops the balls still, with games getting again lower and lower resolutions good upscaling seems becoming more and more essential going forward in this gen.

Top Bottom