• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So .. I’m playing Silent Hill 2

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
It’s been like forever since I play this game and weirdly I can’t remember anything about it it’s all blurry to me and I don’t want to look for the story or anything . Earlier I bought a PS2 with a 500 hundred games installed and I started to play good old games such as Mafia and Hunting Ground

And now I’m playing Silent Hill 2 still at the beginning in the bathroom .. so I want to just check this with you .. is this game worth the time ?

should I go with it or jump to the next one ?

Wtf lol man I can’t remember shit about this one and I’m sure I played it

I need to hear it from you guys ..

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't know, if you are not fully well versed in English, it's terrible game. I vent through it, without proper knowledge and I was like, why people like this shit?

hyperbertha

Its extremely worth your time, but its very vague and you have to pay attention to every detail. If you don't you won't understand the story or what the heck's going on. And without that understanding its just an average horror game. But believe me everything in the game does make sense, if you think about it. So play it for a while and contemplate, then repeat. Everything makes sense even if it doesn';t seem so at first. Don't play the whole thing in one burst because you won't understand anything.
Edit: I'd recommend reading the game's analysis as you play. Many of those can be found on the internet. Be careful not to spoil it for yourself.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
If you say you have played SH2 and don't remember anything chances are you haven't played it.

This is one of those games that gets stuck in your mind forever.Especially some particular scenes/sequences.

I swear I remembered me playing this one but don’t know what happened

Guess it depends on what you look for in video games and that particular genre.

If action horror is what you want, it'll be disappointing. In that case I'd recommend something like The Suffering.

Personally, it's my favorite horror game of all time. I consider it an unforgettable masterpiece. The PS2 version is also the best.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Guess it depends on what you look for in video games and that particular genre.

If action horror is what you want, it'll be disappointing. In that case I'd recommend something like The Suffering.

Personally, it's my favorite horror game of all time. I consider it an unforgettable masterpiece. The PS2 version is also the best.

Oh don’t get me wrong I do love this type of games but I just want to see everyone’s opinion

sublimit

Banned
Its extremely worth your time, but its very vague and you have to pay attention to every detail. If you don't you won't understand the story or what the heck's going on. And without that understanding its just an average horror game. But believe me everything in the game does make sense, if you think about it. So play it for a while and contemplate, then repeat. Everything makes sense even if it doesn';t seem so at first. Don't play the whole thing in one burst because you won't understand anything.
Edit: I'd recommend reading the game's analysis as you play. Many of those can be found on the internet. Be careful not to spoil yourself.
It also depends which ending he gets based on what he does in the game. Ideally he needs to see (almost) all of the endings in order to have a full grasp of the story.

I wouldn't recommend reading a game analysis as he plays though. The first time he playes it it's best trying to figure things on his own IMO and making his own conclusions. The game was designed to be experienced that way.
For 2nd playthrough though he can check and read as much as he wants.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
It also depends which ending he gets based on what he does in the game. Ideally he needs to see (almost) all of the endings in order to have a full grasp of the story.

I wouldn't recommend reading a game analysis as he plays though. The first time he playes it it's best trying to figure things on his own IMO and making his own conclusions. The game was designed to be experienced that way.

No I’m not gonna read or search..as you said I’ll figure it out by myself , damn now I’m excited to finish it today lol

Last edited:

hyperbertha

I think its safer to read an analysis because if he fails to understand earlier scenes, it will compound with later scenes making them even more incomprehensible. And that will significantly impact player enjoyment of the game because lets be honest, its not all that fun to play. It is a game that truly relies on story. But I do understand where you are coming from and its upto player to weigh the options.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I think its safer to read an analysis because if he fails to understand earlier scenes, it will compound with later scenes making them even more incomprehensible. And that will significantly impact player enjoyment of the game because lets be honest, its not all that fun to play. It is a game that truly relies on story. But I do understand where you are coming from and its upto player to weigh the options.

I’m a big fan of MGS’s story and you know it’s complicated, so this should be easy

hope so

I’m a big fan of MGS’s story and you know it’s complicated, so this should be easy

hope so

RNe9Vz2.jpg

sublimit

Banned
I think it's totally fine if he doesn't understand it 100% the first time. The game was designed to be replayed multiple times anyway (it's also relatively short so that works at it favor).

I also don't think the gameplay is no fun at all to play or that something like that would justify seeking an outer source in order to understand the game.

For me ideally the first time someone plays a game like Silent Hill 2 he should take all the time he wants,search every nook and cranny,read every note and signs in the town and just be immersed in its atmosphere as if he was James himself and without looking for help outside the game.

Games like SH2 are not made very often and IMO deserve all the time and attention someone puts into it.

Last edited:

Ellery

It is one of the very few gaming masterpieces that are well worth 5+ playthroughs and deeply investing yourself into.

I would go so far as to say watch multiple analysis videos of Silent Hill 2 before playing it again.

The game and design is just so mind blowingly good and intelligent.

Saber

Gold Member
As a horror experience, you're in for a ride.

Suggest playing on dark to get the imersion to high levels. My brother used to do that when playing Resident Evil Remake.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Most certainly! One of my favorite games of all time, hands down. Have a good time! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also, pump up the volume, and turn off the lights. :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_ok:

Goddammit man .. this old apartment building I’m in rn is making me uncomfortable lol.. the atmosphere is so dark no need to turn off the light , get out of my mind lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The OST is probably one of the best Silent Hill soundtracks to date. No vocal tracks either. It is pure ambiance and a work of art. The plot stays with you for years. I got the game back when it launched at Babbages and I still remember crossing the lake It stands as one of the best psychological horror games ever created.

I have not been impacted by a psychological horror game since Silent Hill 2. Silent Hill 4 was good too because the main character was trapped in a room. The feeling of isolation made it good in my opinion. It didn't take me on that dreary, romantic escapism that Silent Hill 2 did.

"In my restless dreams,: I see that town. Silent Hill. You promised me you'd take me: there again someday."

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Edit: I'd recommend reading the game's analysis as you play. Many of those can be found on the internet. Be careful not to spoil it for yourself.

Not sure what ya'll are getting on about. I thought the story was simple and very easy to follow with a well defined and clear ending. Of course I liked the world so much that I definitely read every last bit of info in the game, that's just the way you have to play Silent Hill games though. Maybe I just played through it "the right way?"

Anywho... glad you're playing it OP. I personally wouldn't play this type of game in the summer though. The atmosphere this game provides is perfectly suited for a cold fall/winter night. More power to you if you think differently though.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Thank you so much for putting your opinions.. if that matter to you I’ll post my opinion about the game and story when I finish the it.. and see if I get it correctly

now excuse me I’m trying to leave room 202 .. I’ve been there for a while now hiding in the kitchen and pointing the gun to nobody lol

Last edited:

Naibel

It's the best game I've ever played and one of the very few games that plot-wise stands up with the best movies.

This is the only game that not only made me shed a tear, but made me legit cry. It's a very real, heart-wrenching, visceral experience.

Forget TLOU2, THIS is The "Schindler's List" or "Paris, Texas" of video games. It will break you.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Not sure what ya'll are getting on about. I thought the story was simple and very easy to follow with a well defined and clear ending. Of course I liked the world so much that I definitely read every last bit of info in the game, that's just the way you have to play Silent Hill games though. Maybe I just played through it "the right way?"
The basis of the story is easy to follow but there are alot of things that the game doesn't explain and some are open to interpretation (to an extend) as well as a lot of details in the world that someone could easily overlook or not make the right story or lore connections.

Last edited:
Top Bottom