• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So .. I’m playing Silent Hill 2

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
You know how every game nowadays gives you a marker of where to go - just in case the player has 2 brain cells left - well , SH2 doesn't do that.

Thats what I want from games these days.. In the past we were using our brain to know and how to solve a puzzle , now everything is solved you just follow the path

wipeout364

Look Buddy, I don’t know how you missed the memo but Sony has said nobody wants to play those old games so just stop now. Do not turn that game on again or risk losing your Sony fanboy card. You’ve been warned.

Of course I’m gonna ask about this I’m a human being .. if we want to know something we ask !

Sorry but your on a hardcore gaming forum, I usually assume members on here would have played one of the most era defining games of that generation, that still to today no other game in the genre has ever come close to it's brilliance and innovation?

I'm genuinely dumb founded.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Sorry but your on a hardcore gaming forum, I usually assume members on here would have played one of the most era defining games of that generation, that still to today no other game in the genre has ever come close to it's brilliance and innovation?

I'm genuinely dumb founded.

Still that doesn’t mean “ oh this guy isn’t a real player because he didn’t play That game “ .. + I have played it but I’m weirdly forgot about it beside other old games .. the first one I remember well , the third and the forth but this one I don’t remember entirely

so don’t judge if one didn’t play a game you love .. it doesn’t work like that some doesn’t like these type of games

Just saying ❤️

DogofWar

Silent Hill 2 is probably my favorite game, story wise, of all time. No other game have handled such extreme subjects and horrible things as well as SH2. Pay attention to the details surrounding the characters you'll stumble upon.

And as everyone else have said. Yes it's worth your time... It is the MGS 3 of horror games.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
This game needs a remake, like RE2 style. Great creepy atmosphere and great story, maybe the best story in any game so far, but i can't play it again in 2020. Not aged well imho.

I played it without knowing anything about it back then and i still remember the first part where you get to the foggy town and my first encounter.

It's different from RE; i like the mystery in this games. I hope Konami won't abandon this franchise.

johntown

Banned
If you enjoy psychological horror then you need to play this. Graphically it is pretty dated but it is a masterpiece. Nothing quite like it either. Enjoy!

It's overrated wank. The first game and subsequent games in the series are way better.

I wouldn't go that far but there's some criticisms of SH2 that are often overlooked. Like how enemies present no danger at all outdoors and you can simply out run them and nothing can catch up to you. This ends up leaving you to have stockpiles of ammo even on harder combat difficulties. Even then most enemies are kind of a joke.

Compare that to the first where there were enemies that could chase you down outside. The first game had much scarier enemies that presented a far bigger threat.

Personally I do like the first game more followed by 3 then 2 probably.

Dr Bass

Probably one of the only games ever made with actually great storytelling and some real depth to the characters and what everything going on means. I honestly can't think of a single game that compares.

Neff

The first game had much scarier enemies that presented a far bigger threat.

Lack of challenge and generally unsophisticated design is one of the game's major flaws. It was the first time I'd ever seen high praise for a game which overwhelmingly prioritises story and the 'experience', while clearly putting gameplay on the back seat. I enjoy Silent Hill 1 a lot, it's a tense, creepy ride. SH2 almost feels like it plays itself to conclusion.

lets be honest, its not all that fun to play. It is a game that truly relies on story.

Exactly. It also heavily relies on the player being spoiler-free.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Its one of the best pieces of Art and entertainment ever made.

Welcome to Silent Hill, OP. You will never leave.

(buying a PS2 with a HDD with 500 games installed seems like one of the best things ever BTW)

I know .. it’s like all of my old memories installed in that fat sexy box

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
It’s been like forever since I play this game and weirdly I can’t remember anything about it it’s all blurry to me and I don’t want to look for the story or anything . Earlier I bought a PS2 with a 500 hundred games installed and I started to play good old games such as Mafia and Hunting Ground

And now I’m playing Silent Hill 2 still at the beginning in the bathroom .. so I want to just check this with you .. is this game worth the time ?

should I go with it or jump to the next one ?

Wtf lol man I can’t remember shit about this one and I’m sure I played it

I need to hear it from you guys ..
It's worth your time and worth holding on to. The price of it now is pretty high on the used market -- so buying it back could be expensive. (assuming you're playing the PS2 printing)

Arachnid

It’s been like forever since I play this game and weirdly I can’t remember anything about it it’s all blurry to me and I don’t want to look for the story or anything . Earlier I bought a PS2 with a 500 hundred games installed and I started to play good old games such as Mafia and Hunting Ground

And now I’m playing Silent Hill 2 still at the beginning in the bathroom .. so I want to just check this with you .. is this game worth the time ?

Still the best story in video gaming IMO. Yes, it's worth it.

.Pennywise

Banned
Everybody brings up this franchise but I see a Resident Evil clone don't reply me

Mic%2BShot.gif

tenor.gif

Zelent

Personally, I prefer Silent Hill 3 (probably because it was my introduction to the Silent Hill universe, I played it before Silent Hill 2). I found it to be much creepier.

However... Silent Hill 2 is a really solid game as well. If you have even a semblance of interest in the horror genre, I highly recommend it!

luij81

Banned
Yep its worth it. Would love a reboot or a complete remaster of the series.
Agreed.

For those who are new to SH2, I'd say to proceed with caution. Gameplay mechanics are trash and voice acting is clumsy as hell (voice acting is not a specific SH issue IMO; videogames had so much to evolve in that sense back then, and still have). Back story, sound and atmosphere are OUTSTANDING and way ahead of its time though, and that's what pays off.

Also, I was so disapointed at those rumours of a SH remake not being confirmed that I myself edited a teaser for a SH2 remake just to fulfill the void in my heart (lol):

makaveli60

Agreed.

For those who are new to SH2, I'd say to proceed with caution. Gameplay mechanics are trash and voice acting is clumsy as hell (voice acting is not a specific SH issue IMO; videogames had so much to evolve in that sense back then, and still have). Back story, sound and atmosphere are OUTSTANDING and way ahead of its time though, and that's what pays off.

Also, I was so disapointed at those rumours of a SH remake not being confirmed that I myself edited a teaser for a SH2 remake just to fulfill the void in my heart (lol):

Awesome! Imagine a full remake with graphics like this...

Play any Silent Hill besides Silent Hill 4 in the PS2. That game is horse shit.

DogofWar

Silent Hill 4 is definitely worth playing. But it should be considered a game inspired by Silent Hill 1 -3 rather than part of the series. It is just too different. I'd say that 4 is the one that was most horrifying while playing it though. "Those" enemies that follow you, you know which ones I mean.

Scariest moment in PS2 era Silent Hill is that one room in the hospital in 3 though.

Knot3D

Silent Hill 2 is a game which you need to allow to get under your skin - especially those moments when the level design goes M.C. Escher all the way in a metaphorical manner; deeper and deeper into James' psyche. Explore and take in the dilapidated atmosphere like Urbex gone wrong.

And although it's a dark story, at least it has 2 alternate endings resulting into satisfactory redemption - ahhum...unlike some other recent dark game story.

xPikYx

The game is a masterpiece, it's definitely worthy more than many AAA games nowadays. Obviously technical limitations don't hold up but this is not a game you play for the sake of gameplay, it's like watching an old movie

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I just finished the game ..
My head hurts, did he just killed his wife and because of the pain he imagined her being in Silent Hill ? . Some things yet to be cleared . Maria , Laura and Angela are they related to his wife ?

this is sad but I need to understand it fully

Arachnid

I just finished the game ..
My head hurts, did he just killed his wife and because of the pain he imagined her being in Silent Hill ? . Some things yet to be cleared . Maria , Laura and Angela are they related to his wife ?

this is sad but I need to understand it fully
He killed his wife because of how much pain she was in, but there was also a degree of selfishness to it. Me resented her, how terrible she began to physically look, and the arguments they had as her illness got worse. Maria was his idealized version of her (hotter because of how sexually repressed felt) and a manifestation that the town created to tempt/torment him. He manifested Pyramid Head as a form of punishment, which is why no one else but James (and Maria, who PH repeatedly killed to mirror Mary) can see it.

Laura was a girl that was close to his wife, and one she wanted to (and would have) adopt. Laura hated James because of how things went between him and Mary. She was innocent though, so she never saw any monsters in the town. When she locked you in the room with the boss, she had no idea she was putting your life in danger.

Angela and Eddie are completely unrelated to James or Mary. They're other people the town was tormenting due to their own mental problems.

Angela was a rape survivor who couldn't move past what her father (and brother) did to her (that flesh lips boss you saved her from was a manifestation of that), and that caused severe depression and suicidal tendencies (she viewed herself as lesser to the world because of how she grew up). It lead to the town consuming her at the end when she finally gave up.

Eddie was bullied pretty rough by others and viewed himself as a genetic failure (women weren't attracted to him and guys looked down on him). Dude is the textbook definition of an incel. He took control the way many people like himself do (shooters), and gunned down everyone he felt oppressed him. When James stood up to him, he turned on James too and tried to kill him.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
He killed his wife because of how much pain she was in, but there was also a degree of selfishness to it. Me resented her, how terrible she began to physically look, and the arguments they had as her illness got worse. Maria was his idealized version of her (hotter because of how sexually repressed felt) and a manifestation that the town created to tempt/torment him. He manifested Pyramid Head as a form of punishment, which is why no one else but James (and Maria, who PH repeatedly killed to mirror Mary) can see it.

Laura was a girl that was close to his wife, and one she wanted to (and would have) adopt. Laura hated James because of how things went between him and Mary. She was innocent though, so she never saw any monsters in the town. When she locked you in the room with the boss, she had no idea she was putting your life in danger.

Angela and Eddie are completely unrelated to James or Mary. They're other people the town was tormenting due to their own mental problems.

Angela was a rape survivor who couldn't move past what her father (and brother) did to her (that flesh lips boss you saved her from was a manifestation of that), and that caused severe depression and suicidal tendencies (she viewed herself as lesser to the world because of how she grew up). It lead to the town consuming her at the end when she finally gave up.

Eddie was bullied pretty rough by others and viewed himself as a genetic failure (women weren't attracted to him and guys looked down on him). Dude is the textbook definition of an incel. He took control the way many people like himself do (shooters), and gunned down everyone he felt oppressed him. When James stood up to him, he turned on James too and tried to kill him.

Oh man ..
What a story .. some lines are really deep and made me almost cry , not to mention the tragedy that happened to his wife . That letter at the ending was so good and heartbreaking .

Beautiful game .. next I’ll go with Silent hill 3 and see how it goes

Top Bottom