• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I Read On Beyond3d That Josh Robinson Just Got Fired........

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This isn't(if it turns out to be the case) the first blog related firing and I'm sure it won't be the last... it's the main reason why of all the crap I talk about on my blog I NEVER mention how I feel about what goes on at work...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Vieo said:
Maybe he was paid to do it....

THE PLOT THICKENS.

KK: "Get that hot, young video artist who tried to make the moves on my daughter to fall on his sword and bad mouth the PS3. We will make the non-believers foam over like salted slugs when they see the blinding light that is the true PS3's greatness after we pounce on this halfling's blog rants. Like the great eye, I see everything."

Unison

If what he was saying was total bullshit, all SOE would have to do to debunk it is release a single screenshot of this mystery game...

Razoric

Banned
DarienA said:
This isn't(if it turns out to be the case) the first blog related firing and I'm sure it won't be the last... it's the main reason why of all the crap I talk about on my blog I NEVER mention how I feel about what goes on at work...

I see how this makes for good reading and it's funny as hell, I just don't see how anyone can blame Sony for what they did, if true, and how this indicates what he said was the truth. The guy was obviously looking to get fired. You can't talk shit about the company you work for and get away with it... it just doesnt work like that. He even said the game he was working on was basically crap, I mean come on. "hey guys I'm workin on this piece of shit game for my company's new shit system but make sure you buy it when it comes out!! it'll be cool!" :lol

But yeah, for "fanboy wars" this shit is gold. :lol

Razoric

Banned
Unison said:
If what he was saying was total bullshit, all SOE would have to do to debunk it is release a single screenshot of this mystery game...

You can't let one runaway employee dictate your PR. "OMG he's lying, look look at our stuff please dont believe him!!"

Unison

Razoric said:
You can't let one runaway employee dictate your PR. "OMG he's lying, look look at our stuff please dont believe him!!"

Yeah, I realize that, but at the same time if he was lying, there's pretty much no damage done in the long run.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Unison said:
Yeah, I realize that, but at the same time if he was lying, there's pretty much no damage done in the long run.

Lies some time fester into facts. I do not know how many people have told me the Killzone 2 footage at E3 was real in-game footage.

I give this thread an 8. That ninja photoshop, Robinson's half naked pic, and Lil' Dice's arguments that MGS4 is not realtime all were fucking hilarious.

As for the discussion we'll have to wait for another month. I've bookmarked this and the other thread so there might be lots of ownage in the very near future.

Raistlin

fortified_concept said:
I give this thread an 8. That ninja photoshop, Robinson's half naked pic, and Lil' Dice's arguments that MGS4 is not realtime all were fucking hilarious.

Don't forget Matlock's Chuck Norris post at the bottom of page 1.

That was gold :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Unison said:

.... did you really think this through? Come on now. As a company that is simply not the way things work.

Well looks like someone committed carreer suicide. He's gonna have a hard time find a job since every potential company he goes to will know he has broken NDAs before.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
NDAspoiler.jpg

Unison

DarienA said:
.... did you really think this through? Come on now. As a company that is simply not the way things work.

Bad phrasing, perhaps... I meant that if what was said was nonsense, one screenshot would reveal it... not so much that SOE should up and release a screenshot to combat these claims specifically.

Unison said:
Bad phrasing, perhaps... I meant that if what was said was nonsense, one screenshot would reveal it... not so much that SOE should up and release a screenshot to combat these claims specifically.
It's not like he's a Kojima or Ueda. He's easily replaceable. Like someone mentioned above, Sony isn't going to change their plans because of some douchebag.

Raistlin

Lil' Dice,

iirc, that wasn't scripted at all.

Someone was flying around using a DualShock.

Regardless, AI is not really present in that demo.

Borys

Banned
Comedy goldmine :lol

I like both Blue Tsunami and SSX (big Sony fans like me) but they are really trying too hard in this thread.

Dante

Just reading his old review on the Ps3 he seemed really really clueless. What I would love to see is 1up, Gamespot, IGN do a follow up investigation on this whole thing. Interview him, his former employer, etc... Talk about fun :)

Unison

Dante said:
Just reading his old review on the Ps3 he seemed really really clueless. What I would love to see is 1up, Gamespot, IGN do a follow up investigation on this whole thing. Interview him, his former employer, etc... Talk about fun :)

I'm sure that would result in a "no comment" comment from pretty much everyone involved. :lol

Raven.

Banned
His HL2 and GoW comment are just simply pure gold :lol

DCharlie said:
i know you are taking the piss - but... yes!!!!

Why can't anyone just say "YES, the game WILL look like this?" I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with NDAs, so i'm guessing the answer is because most likely they are hedging thier bets incase they can't! I'd assume Deano and crew are working hard to get what was running at 5fps realtime upto (hopefully) 60fps with full AI , collissions, physics etc.

I have a lot of respect for Deano - the devloper diary really makes you root for NT - but really at this stage, no one is committing to saying they can do what they presented without having an escape clause in what they say. But really, this is a yes/no answer :
"Since you guys are here, will the outdoor scenes in HS actually look that good in the final game? " - instead, we get the cryptic response.

5fps running mainly or solely using the ppe(not sure, memory's fuzzy), no spes running at 2.4Ghz(aka not even scratching the cell's overwhelming power.), probably using a a single 6800(DeanA said the sli-dev-kit rumors weren't real they didn't exist, so we've only probably a single 6800 or rare 7800 back then, IIRC.)...
DeanoC said:
Our aim is to do the most effects we can get away with while keeping the framerate :) For the record we have only added things since E3 we haven't 'reduced' anything (well visually, obviously we have reduced bandwidth with the recently christianed NAO32 format (previously known as the INT8 HDR format that looks like FP16 HDR):-D).

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Just for the record, graphics rendered by whatever device that is then sped up to compose a video is not "real time". That is exactly the same what any 3D render program does when rendering a scene/animation. If it uses software shading or hardware does not distinguish between real time or not. My 6600GT could produce those scenes with hardware rendering considering that it has SM 3.0.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Onix said:
Lil' Dice,

iirc, that wasn't scripted at all.

Someone was flying around using a DualShock.

Regardless, AI is not really present in that demo.

Maybe i saw a different video. The one posted was an intro/cutscene. No playable camera angle and seemed incredibly staged. If there's a video of a developer playing it with a full HUD, basically a demo of what ana ctual race will look like, then i'd be interested in taking a look.

Raven.

Banned
elostyle said:
Just for the record, graphics rendered by whatever device that is then sped up to compose a video is not "real time". That is exactly the same what any 3D render program does when rendering a scene/animation. If it uses software shading or hardware does not distinguish between real time or not. My 6600GT could produce those scenes with hardware rendering considering that it has SM 3.0.

You could say that, but after a certain fps or fraction of fps is reached it's supposed to be considered realtime, but its semantics of course, you could argue its realtime but was represented in a nonfaithful way. Anyway a portion, indoor sequences, ran at good fps supposedly, I think it was 30fps, iirc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lil' Dice said:
Maybe i saw a different video. The one posted was an intro/cutscene. No playable camera angle and seemed incredibly staged. If there's a video of a developer playing it with a full HUD, basically a demo of what ana ctual race will look like, then i'd be interested in taking a look.

Why don't you just click on the link you have been provided, then click on the "Fatal Inertia Gameplay Movie 1" and "Fatal Inertia Gameplay Movie 2" links before replying? It's not that difficult.

Here is the link again.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/fatalinertia/media.html

Pimpwerx

I think the Deans and nAo have to take some pride in the fact that people continue to porkbarrell their game in with the rest of the "prerendered and unbelievable" games shown for the PS3.

Heavenly Sword has been in dev for a long time now. Apparently, they had a target render (some shots posted in this thread) that blew a lot of people away back in 2004. The E3 trailer wasn't all realtime, and AFAIK, wasn't all sped up. The clip splicing was to demonstrate the gameplay concepts, according to Deano. Last summer he said the indoor scenes were runnnig around 30fps (I think at 1080p), while the outdoor scenes chugged at like 5fps. Apparently, the moves and stuff shown are from the game, not scripted cutscenes by any mean. Stuff like when she's whooping the shit out of those guys in the circular room are supposed to be from the game. I can't defend that too much though, since I don't want to make any claims for the team. But this is what I've gleamed from the many answers Deano's given over the months. There were some cutscenes in there though, but also AI and everything else. Deano said that when she fires those cannon blasts into the crowd, that you can see the AI at work as guys try to jump out of the way to avoid the projectiles. You can actually see this when you slow the video down a bit.

So, if Heavenly Sword is enough to cast some doubt for some of you, then I guess the PS3 has nothing to worry about. It's a first-gen title, and looked spectacular back at E3. They've only ever talked about adding stuff, not reducing the visuals any, so I expect the next showing of the game to be insane. MGS4 already gives us a glimpse at what to expect, and it's not like that's the best-looking title the system is gonna get in its lifetime. Hell, it'll probably be matched before it's released. PEACE.

TTP said:
Why don't you just click on the link you have been provided, then click on the "Fatal Inertia Gameplay Movie 1" and "Fatal Inertia Gameplay Movie 2" links before replying? It's not that difficult.

Here is the link again.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/fatalinertia/media.html

That's the Fatal Inertia clip everyone's always on about? Man, which Brit TV Comedy Icon do I quote?

Spaced's Tim: You've Got To Be Fucking Kidding.
or
The Office's David Brent: He was rubbish. He was rubbish.

That footage is not at all impressive, no matter what side of this argument you're coming down on.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Listen morons. You asked for it. "Show me a developer playing through a level with AI/lighting/effects implementation, and then we can talk".

That's just what you asked for. It's not supposed to prove anything about the PS3 potential, but just your ingnorance about everything PS3-related.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I don't really care about Josh Robinson one way or the other, but I have a hard time believing that most people he came into contact with at Sony sit around and enthusastically comment on how the Xbox 360 is better than their product. I also think his spectacularly conspicuous "career suicide" is notable when considering his credibility.

Then again, people are absolutely on the mark when they say how this would've been received had his news been positive...but that kind of fickle reaction is certainly not something that's limited to the Sony contingent.

TTP said:
Listen morons. You asked for it. "Show me a developer playing through a level with AI/lighting/effects implementation, and then we can talk".

That's just what you asked for. It's not supposed to be prove anything about the PS3 potential, but just your ingnorance about everything PS3-related.

Listen, moron. (Note the comma. People in Glass Houses and all that.) I didn't ask for anything. I was making a statement about this footage I'd heard so much about. So if anything it was ThreadRot. Don't yank me into your indignation, thank you. Use the singular if you're going to quote someone, unless you're implying that Lil' Dice is more than one person sitting around a GAF login making posts. A heads up, that's Tracy Morgan in the avatar picture, it doesn't mean he's also there posting with him.

Singular. Plural. Do your research.

Lil' Dice

Banned
TTP said:

That's just what you asked for. It's not supposed to prove anything about the PS3 potential, but just your ingnorance about everything PS3-related.

Ok, let's talk then. That footage looks horrible. Bland design, laughable physics, low poly terrain and mediocre texture work.....now we're talkin!
Care to comment?

Top Bottom