• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I Read On Beyond3d That Josh Robinson Just Got Fired........

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
GashPrefx said:
The idea that he would make up false info and then use that to get fired is pretty remote. Chances are he was telling the truth as he understood it.
Except that his negative comments about PS3 were purely hyperbole without any info.
The NDA breaking comments could possibly be the ones pertaining to devkit distribution and projects he worked on, but not the negative comparisons.
The NDAs most certainly don't cover statements like "I heard a developer say that XBox is better". They would however, OFTEN cover just talking about being Involved with PS3 at all.

Raistlin

kaching said:
Did I say it wasn't disgruntlement? Pay attention - I said disgruntlement wasn't suitable justification for the actions taken...just like being disgruntled isn't suitable justification for going on a killing spree.

While I understand what you mean, I think many people probably interpreted your remarks that way. It was a tad ambiguous.

Lil' Dice

Banned
kaching said:
Did I say it wasn't disgruntlement? Pay attention - I said disgruntlement wasn't suitable justification for the actions taken...just like being disgruntled isn't suitable justification for going on a killing spree.

Disgruntlement is justification for a wide array of things to certain people based on their level of maturity and rationale. It's not my job to care, or to find a reason to discredit their credentials based on their misjudgments; just like it's not my job to explore why people at GAF seem to have an obsession with a particular console over the other. I just point out their shortcoming after they make them apparent :)

BlueTsunami said:
Considering a good amount of posters there are Developers themselves (who understand the seriousness of breaching an NDA to your career). I don't understand the issue with that (with talking about the legality of breaching an NDA). Theres also a flip side to that. Just like the "factions" here, its the same there (unforunatley).

Indeed. It's funny, that's all...

kaching said:
What people are saying is that the second is more likely if the first is present, taking into account the motive for breaking NDA in the first place as well. It's either disgruntlement or attention-mongering, neither of which is good reason to break an NDA and either trait is grounds to question the general truthfulness of what they have to say on its own.

You keep saying that. But IMO poor judgement (disgruntlement or attention-mongering) has zero to do with dishonesty. He was an idiot whichever way you look at it, and he may be lying out of his teeth. But his being an idiot doesn't make him a liar.

Some very stupid people that I have the misfortune of dealing with at work, have given me no reason to doubt their word.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"What people are saying is that the second is more likely if the first is present, taking into account the motive for breaking NDA in the first place as well. It's either disgruntlement or attention-mongering, neither of which is good reason to break an NDA and either trait is grounds to question the general truthfulness of what they have to say on its own."

i don't folllow - why would an attention seeker break an NDA with false information? That makes no sense. If you are pissed off or attention mongering then you might as well go the whole hog!

Plus we are making an assumption that this was some sort of attention seeking - wasn't it was posted on his blog (okay, totally unwise) then it was picked up by other forums?

also, wouldn't attention whores post +VE sony news? there are way more sony fans so if he was going for "fakey glory" wouldn't he be going crazy about the PS3 then getting all the fanboy knickers thrown at him?

"But his being an idiot doesn't make him a liar."

qtf

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
Why can't anyone just say "YES, the game WILL look like this?" I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with NDAs, so i'm guessing the answer is because most likely they are hedging thier bets incase they can't! I'd assume Deano and crew are working hard to get what was running at 5fps realtime upto (hopefully) 60fps with full AI , collissions, physics etc.

I have a lot of respect for Deano - the devloper diary really makes you root for NT - but really at this stage, no one is committing to saying they can do what they presented without having an escape clause in what they say. But really, this is a yes/no answer :
"Since you guys are here, will the outdoor scenes in HS actually look that good in the final game? " - instead, we get the cryptic response.
What does it gain them, or you, to commit to anything more concrete right now? Committing to anything just provides fodder for either the fanboys who will overhype or the detractors that will seize on any scent of blood. The value of feeding the internet community with such concrete statements right now is probably far outweighed by the potential for that to backfire simply because expectations are riding so high on both sides of the fence.

Don't be jealous because Deano knows the value of discretion and you don't :p

sportzhead said:
The funny thing here is, if he said the PS3 was great and it's easy to pump out CG like graphics, all the Sony fanboys would be all over his joke. And I bet he would still have his job.

And Xbots claim he's lying. Fanboy door swings both ways.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
Why can't anyone just say "YES, the game WILL look like this?"
That's the job for publisher's PR department not the lead programmer. Unauthorized comments of this type can be almost as bad for publisher-dev relations as breaking an NDA (assuming there isn't one in place for game info in the first place).

DCharlie

What does it gain them, or you, to commit to anything more concrete right now? Committing to anything just provides fodder for either the fanboys who will overhype or the detractors that will seize on any scent of blood. The value of feeding the internet community with such concrete statements right now is probably far outweighed by the potential for that to backfire simply because expectations are riding so high on both sides of the fence.

that i agree with, but i think Faf has answered my queery.

Don't be jealous because Deano knows the value of discretion and you don't :p

ha ha - i've been as deliberately vague with spilling anything as to match Sonys PR performance. Am i telling the truth? Well, all i can say is that what is that fish don't taste like cheese! Do the math! ;)

"That's the job for publisher's PR department not the lead programmer. Unauthorized comments of this type can be almost as bad for publisher-dev relations as breaking an NDA (assuming there isn't one in place for game info in the first place)."

understood. But isn't it odd that techinical calls are made via PR? Isn't PR's job to make things glossy and shiny , so our actual route to the 'truth' is effectively cut off?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lil'Dice said:
I just point out their shortcoming after they make them apparent
It's no wonder you seem to identify with the kind of justifications made by disgruntled folk, seeing as how you're prone to it yourself. You're not above the passing of judgment you're accusing others of here.

krypt0nian said:
You keep saying that. But IMO poor judgement (disgruntlement or attention-mongering) has zero to do with dishonesty.
I'm not saying that either trait necessarily leads to dishonesty every single time, but there's certainly an increased prevalence of it in the presence of either of those traits. Poor judgment brought on by these traits relaxes discretions, making it easier to justify a lie or embellishment.

i don't folllow - why would an attention seeker break an NDA with false information? That makes no sense. If you are pissed off or attention mongering then you might as well go the whole hog!

Plus we are making an assumption that this was some sort of attention seeking - wasn't it was posted on his blog (okay, totally unwise) then it was picked up by other forums?

also, wouldn't attention whores post +VE sony news? there are way more sony fans so if he was going for "fakey glory" wouldn't he be going crazy about the PS3 then getting all the fanboy knickers thrown at him?
Guess it all depends on who he's seeking attention from. And if it isn't attention seeking, what else would it be?

DCharlie

Guess it all depends on who he's seeking attention from. And if it isn't attention seeking, what else would it be?

venting? looking for a wrongful dismissal suit? maybe he's a lone Batman type artist who wants to bring the worlds wrongs to right and he couldn't bear the burden of it all and had to release ? :D

DCharlie

"Doesn't that all fall under attention seeking?"

hmmm.. but then that means anyone who expresses an opinion on anything is attention seeking (?)

again, even if we accept that he's attention seeking , that still doesn't qualify him as a liar though right?

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Goreomedy said:
ps3ninjas.jpg

Thanks for the hommage and :lol

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
understood. But isn't it odd that techinical calls are made via PR? Isn't PR's job to make things glossy and shiny , so our actual route to the 'truth' is effectively cut off?
Given the public reactions you could recently observe on the net when being exposed to actual truth, it's hard to blame anyone for hidding behind PR.
If anything, NT guys deserve respect for still being willing to say as much as they do.

hmmm.. but then that means anyone who expresses an opinion on anything is attention seeking (?)
Oh come now - writting opinions about controversial issues(which are possibly not even allowed to be talked about in public) in your public Blog IS attention seeking, period. It doesn't matter what underlying motivations of love/hate you have for it.
He wasn't sharing his thoughts because someone asked about it in a conversation or interview or anything of the sorts.

The extreme cases (such as the one we like to make fun of) are just being in your face obvious about being attention whores. ;)

Lil' Dice

Banned
kaching said:
It's no wonder you seem to identify with the kind of justifications made by disgruntled folk, seeing as how you're prone to it yourself. You're not above the passing of judgment you're accusing others of here.

You're either you're easily confused, or you're just looking to argue all fucking night long; please quit glossing over my posts.
For the last time, I don't identify with this fool, or any of you console fanboys for that matter.
I AM NOT LIKE YOU :lol

Meantime

puebla said:
PROFILE:

I am a 27 year old 3D artist with 9 years of professional experience. I have been very busy this last year trying to make a name for myself within the industry.

Mission accomplished.

MaddenNFL64

The fanboy wars are heating up again :). Been kinda tongue in cheek for a while.

Well, one year of crazy hate, then 5 years of passive disdain for eachother await!

DCharlie

lol , Kaching... you were right and i was wrong... this is definitely an AW we got on our hands here.

I apologize.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
DCharlie said:
lol , Kaching... you were right and i was wrong... this is definitely an AW we got on our hands here.

I apologize.

:lol

Judging by the picture, I wouldn't be surprised

I haven't shifted through this entire topic yet, but how do you guys know that this guy really is who he says he is? What makes you all so sure this isn't another Aries?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
open_mouth_ said:
So talking bad about Sony could not only get you banned from GAF, it can also get you fired now!

;)

They're everywhere now.

Guy's a bit of a hottie. I feel kind of sorry for him. He probably didn't pay too much attention to his employment contract (my guess is he lost his job as much because of breach of that contract as for breach of any nda - most contracts have pretty broad statements about not bad-mouthing your employer or discrediting them).

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I sure hope February puts a lot of questions to bed because Josh Robinson's story has generated a lot of vitriole on this board in mulltiple threads.

Blaster1X

Banned
open_mouth_ said:
So talking bad about Sony could not only get you banned from GAF, it can also get you fired now!

;)
Any rumor praising the strength of Sony is to go unquestioned.
Any rumor or hearsay denouncing MS is to be assumed as fact unless proven otherwise.
And last but not least anybody that speaks against the PS3 is a heratical fanboy.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gofreak said:
He probably didn't pay too much attention to his employment contract (my guess is he lost his job as much because of breach of that contract as for breach of any nda - most contracts have pretty broad statements about not bad-mouthing your employer or discrediting them).

I believe Gamestop has a policy that describes employment termination is automatic if you discuss business on the web in forums, media, etc. Considering this guy appears to have been an employee of Sony in some form, his firing is not surprising. Plus, his firing does not necessarily mean what he said was true. He may have made that stuff up to get back at his employer for something else. Who knows. February, come she will.

Ponn

Banned
Blaster1X said:
Any rumor praising the strength of Sony is to go unquestioned.
Any rumor or hearsay denouncing MS is to be assumed as fact unless proven otherwise.
And last but not least anybody that speaks against the PS3 is a heratical fanboy.

Oh jeez, here comes the melodrama..*puke*

cross.jpg

There's your cross, go get on it and take Josh with you.

Ponn

Banned
typhonsentra said:
Again, how was it confirmed that the guy who posted on that board is who he says he is?

In the first thread i'm pretty sure someone posted his profile was up on Sony's website, the station.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DC, no need to apologize whatsoever. Just having a lively conversation, as usual.

And, no, his attention seeking doesn't automatically make him liar, but I'd certainly put greater odds on it.

Lil'Dice,

Let me know what it is you think I'm glossing over in your posts because so far I've tried to address all the main points you've laid out. Your last couple of posts have been trying to distance yourself as a unbiased observer making no judgments but frankly your posts in this thread and previous posts in other threads tell a different story.

Flo_Evans

ok so:

SOE modeler makes some some comments in his blog around E3 about alpha dev kits

blog gets posted on beyond3D and then the dude posts some more stuff on there

a few months pass...

enquirer writes an article about the guy and his comments

dude is in the unemployment line

?

so around E3 MS had better dev kits out there? Correct me if I am wrong but I thought this was common knowledge?

Ponn01 said:
In the first thread i'm pretty sure someone posted his profile was up on Sony's website, the station.

All that proves is that there's a guy named Josh Robinson, not that the guy who posted on the board is actually him.

Ponn

Banned
typhonsentra said:
All that proves is that there's a guy named Josh Robinson, not that the guy who posted on the board is actually him.

Oh, I don't know then. Good question, though if he really did get fired then I would say yea. Call him up and ask him. And while you're at it be sure to ask him why he did such a dumbass thing. I think we all want to know, my bet is it was drugs.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Vennt said:
I'm not sure which is funniest, the fact that the guy got himself fired, or the fact that for some odd reason somebody PM'd me a link to this pic of Josh:

http://www.ratemybody.com/profile_111250_oneigekko.html
oneigekko.jpg

:lol - I guess it is time for some new goals :p

:lol

I also like the fact he criticizes the website in his Final Words:

FINAL WORDS
RMB's Instant Messages dont work at all. Im on as: oneigekko

And when I was searching for bodies to match Josh's head for that PS3Ninjas photoshop, I was not aware how close to reality I hit. Creepy. Maybe the guy is roid raging.

Razoric

Banned
Lil' Dice said:
You're either you're easily confused, or you're just looking to argue all fucking night long; please quit glossing over my posts.
For the last time, I don't identify with this fool, or any of you console fanboys for that matter.
I AM NOT LIKE YOU :lol

Yeah DirtyMack, you aren't a fanboy at all. :lol

Vieo

DCharlie said:
then why put a load of false info about your employer on your blog? You'd have to be PRETTY f*cking dumb to do that.

Maybe he was paid to do it....

THE PLOT THICKENS.

Top Bottom